• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt is now Europe’s most valuable game company ahead of Ubisoft

Bullet Club

Remarkable growth continues as The Witcher 3 celebrates its fifth birthday

CD Projekt has become Europe’s most valuable video game company with a market capitalisation of $8.13 billion.

The Polish firm behind The Witcher games and Cyberpunk 2077, as well as PC digital distribution platform GOG, has seen its value swell in recent months.

CD Projekt’s market capitalisation was $6.8 billion in December 2019, when Bloomberg said the company had posted a return of 21,000% over the previous decade – comfortably the biggest rise of any stock then listed in the Stoxx Europe 600 Index.

The company has surpassed European games industry heavyweight Ubisoft’s current market valuation of $8.12 billion.

By way of comparison, Rockstar owner Take-Two’s market valuation is $16.13 billion, FIFA and Madden creator Electronic Arts’ is $34.34 billion, Mario maker Nintendo’s is $53.73 billion, and Call of Duty owner Activision Blizzard’s is $56.27 billion.

Other companies with gaming arms have larger market valuations, including Microsoft, Sony and Tencent, but their businesses are more diversified than those of the publishers listed above.

Following a switch to remote working, CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński said in April that the company remains on track to hit this September’s delayed Cyberpunk 2077 release date for current-gen consoles and PC.

CD Projekt also intends to release a “proper, full-blown next-gen version” of Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox Series X and PS5, but it won’t be a launch game.

The company will work on a new The Witcher game after Cyberpunk 2077 is completed, Kiciński said in March.

The most recent series entry, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, celebrated its fifth birthday on May 19.

In March, CD Projekt said the title had sold almost 30 million copies. Over six million were sold in 2019, when the game debuted on Switch – more than in any other year except 2015, when the RPG was released for PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Source: VGC

martino

source.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
as much as i love CDPR and Witcher games i do feel this is potentially a bubble ready to burst. to be fair they do deserve a lot of praise for Witcher 3 which is a fantastic game so of course it would sell well and more recently it sold a shit load more because of the TV show. they are also doing quite well with Gwent and we of course got Thronebreaker. they have earned a lot of praise.

but a lot of the price is surely riding on the excitement/hype for Cyberpunk 2077. the game could turn out way better than Witcher 3 but for a lot of people they have unrealistic expectations of it. I'm sure the game will do well but if it doesn't then the price is gonna drop like a tonne of bricks. even if it does sell really well a lot of the investors might too be sitting with unrealistic expectations.

i wish CDPR all the best and i'll probably end up buying 2 or 3 copies of the game lol but once 2077 is out we'll see people spreading panic because the price drops.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
It's really not an achievement to be ahead of a company like Ubisoft.

But congrats to CDPR.The work they did on the Witcher series was mostly incredible and TW3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm not interested in Cyberpunk though.

Yoda

But congrats to CDPR.The work they did on the Witcher series was mostly incredible and TW3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm not interested in Cyberpunk though.

Judging the gaming side, CDPR only has one (proven) franchise. Ubisoft has a handful, which they've had for a long time. The fact investors are that bullshit on CDPRs catalog speaks volumes about the value CDPR is able to build into a single franchise.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Dude you might not like their game but Ubisoft are the biggest european gaming company

*well until this news arrived

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
As much as I respect CD Projekt I'm just not sold on them now all of a sudden you're telling me they're Europe's best developer?

Has there ever been a bigger overinflated company value? They are one flop away from losing the vast majority of their value. Good luck reganining it if that happens when they release one game every 10 years.

Saber

Gold Member
I can say they really deserve. I mean, compare big ass Witcher 3 against those countless ass creeds.

If everything wents well, Cyberpunk delivers and could even beat Witcher.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This thread is two years old. Since then CDPR's stock price has dropped from about 400 (polish currency) to 112. It crashed hard when 2077 launched.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
CDPR mcap: $2.66B
Ubisoft mcap: $6.08B
I thought months back someone said UBI was $8B. Looks like that info was outdated as last time it was that high was about a year ago. Since last spring, UBI stock has dropped 25% to get to $6B.

US/Euro currency conversion only 7% difference, so close enough. Nowhere close to $8B no matter which currency is used.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Actually GOG is making almost no money.
If GOG makes bad money, I guess all the server and employee overhead is bigger than I thought.

One thing they can surely do is improve their pricing strategy. I'm new to GOG/Steam using it only past 18 months but even I know to wait for those 50-80% off deals. It's so predictable. It's like me waiting to buy office shirts at The Bay because once a month every shirt goes on sale for 40% off like clockwork.

Steam and GOG only overlap some games. GOG skewing to much older classic games. They dont need to dump these games so hard every few months. They can probably sell a lot at 30-40% off. Name one other industry out there who does a giant discount dump on their products for up to 80% off every few months?

Last edited:

Baki

I thought months back someone said UBI was $8B. Looks like that info was outdated as last time it was that high was about a year ago. Since last spring, UBI stock has dropped 25% to get to $6B.

US/Euro currency conversion only 7% difference, so close enough. Nowhere close to $8B no matter which currency is used.

The value of the company (market cap) changes on a literal minute-by-minute basis. Lots of companies had way inflated valuations and I would argue that CPDR is still inflated. CPDR benefits by being on the Polish stock exchange. I suspect their stock value would be in the gutter if they were listed on NASDAQ or NYSE.

yurinka

The title is wrong, it should say overvalued instead of valuable.

image.png

image.png

Also is Ubisoft even European anymore, they seem more Canadian to me these days.
Ubisoft has over 20000 workers in over 50 studios from pretty much all around the world. Around a quarter of them work in Canadian studios, but like in any big gamedev company a ton of their workers are from tons of different countries.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

How do you guys even find these old ass threads?

"Hmmm I'll go post on Neogaf for a bit....I wonder what hot topics the guys are talking about.....on page 450!"
They probably click on "similar threads" that is below every thread

I actually love necro bumps of threads/news that have aged terribly. People really thought Cyberpunk was gonna be Skyrim/GTA level huh? And it could've been if they hadn't fucked up.

Madflavor

I wonder how the company will do now that a lot of the old guard that made TW3 are gone. TW4 will be a huge test imo.

SeraphJan

Hope they improve the gameplay in Witcher 4, more responsive control, better combat, more variety of ability not just the same 5 signs over and over.

By the way, GOG is still my favorite platform

Last edited:

Griffon

How did you get here.
Wtf... I only browse first page threads, how the fuck did I got here indeed?!

I just realized the date of this. Did a post get deleted? Or did I click on the "similar threads" section by mistake?

Last edited:
CDPR duped us with witcher 3 as well. Trailer was something else and end game wasnt like that. They downgraded a lot. witcher 4 needs to be perfect with no downgrades and no broken promises.
I mean..cyberpunk wasn't downgraded, quite opposite i would say. They learned their lesson from witcher 3 trailer, time to learn a lesson from cyberpunk release

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
witcher 4 needs to be perfect with no downgrades and no broken promises.
that's not going to happen. this is exactly why this shit keeps happening! it needs to be perfect? no, it doesn't. CDPR just need to be honest when showing it off and they did put a "work in progress" watermark over the original cyberpunk gameplay trailer but oh no that wasn't enough to stop people crying when things changed. people need to stop expecting "perfect" games and/or having stupid unrealistic expectations. no game is going to be perfect and if that's the standard you set then you're only going to upset and anger yourself but then i think some just people like to cry and moan.

i'll do exactly what I did for Cyberpunk. watch some trailers and be cautiously excited for it. not read too much into or get obsessed with it. wait until the game is out and take it for what it is. everyone and their cat was shitting on Cyberpunk but i was quite happy with it. of course there were things i think they could've done better but whatever i'm not mad about it.

Last edited:

tusharngf

that's not going to happen. this is exactly why this shit keeps happening! it needs to be perfect? no, it doesn't. CDPR just need to be honest when showing it off and they did put a "work in progress" watermark over the original cyberpunk gameplay trailer but oh no that wasn't enough to stop people crying when things changed. people need to stop expecting "perfect" games and/or having stupid unrealistic expectations. no game is going to be perfect and if that's the standard you set then you're only going to upset and anger yourself but then i think some just people like to cry and moan.

i'll do exactly what I did for Cyberpunk. watch some trailers and be cautiously excited for it. not read too much into or get obsessed with it. wait until the game is out and take it for what it is. everyone and their cat was shitting on Cyberpunk but i was quite happy with it. of course there were things i think they could've done better but whatever i'm not mad about it.

When I am paying 70 bucks upfront I need a polished and a good game.

Bojji

When I am paying 70 bucks upfront I need a polished and a good game.

Most games released in last years have problems at launch:

- any Bethesda game, tons of bugs (or even total shitshow like F76)
- Ubisoft games, usually technical mess on PC
- Elden Ring, extreml good game but runs like dogshit on every hardware (other than PS4 ver played on PS5)

etc.

But Cyperpunk had way more problems than typical game at launch so yeah, CDPR deserved some level of hate (and they offered refunds) but just like most things nowadays, hate hyperbole was through the roof.

PC version was ok and playable from day one, they should have delayed launch by at least 6 months and scrap last gen version. They didn't and have to live with this mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom