• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt expanding to 500 employees for Cyberpunk, including Kraków to 100

Henrar

Tell me about this recruitment process.

You send the CV and some portfolio, then they either contact you or ignore completely (happens quite often as I've heard and it happened to me last year, when I tried for a first time).
If they contact you, you usually have to perform a given task based on what they send you (in my case, gameplay programmer, that was C++/DX9 framework). I failed at this step, mostly because of my current job and lack of knowledge of DX9. I can't give the details, but I can say that's it's game-related stuff.

Then you have several interviews in their office. The entire process is explained at their website and differs for different positions.

I will probably try for the third time in October, once several gamedev-related books arrive from Amazon and I have time to learn their contents properly. Currently, my time is rather limited.

Is this Q&A being done by Gamepressure? Because it keeps referencing "put through by CD projekt RED" which sounds to me like someone else did it yet I can't find the source anywhere.

CDP are slowly turning into Euro Valve software.

They're very different studios. Valve is a small multi-project studio focusing on services. CDPR does singular, but bigger projects. With this expansion they'll become bigger than Valve too. They said they like the R* model.

szaromir

Banned
From my (non-gaming industry) professional experience, Krakow will be a great place in games relative to work life balance and a lack of "crunch" due to Polish legislation. I do expect long development times though!

Dat air pollution tho.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
this is not good, look at the UBI games, made by so many people they end up being a product without identity, witcher 3 is probably my all time favorite game, i fear they loose the soul they put in to their games

The problem with UBI though is the lack of communication between all the teams who work on the games from all over the world.

I really hope they deliver with CyberPunk. Not a big fan of Witcher III (sorry) but they're definitely a talented bunch and I'm curious to see what they can do with the setting.

Plus you know, that trailer was pretty cool.

From my (non-gaming industry) professional experience, Krakow will be a great place in games relative to work life balance and a lack of "crunch" due to Polish legislation. I do expect long development times though!

All dat polish castles and villages were a bonus when designing medieval Witcher. None of that will give any bonus to Cyberpunk world design.

I mean Warsaw does not cut it. They need to spend some time in Tokyo, especially during the nighttime.

Meanwhile, Todd Howard is thinking of expanding the 110 people that worked on Fallout 4 to 115 for TES VI.

A larger team doesn't always equate to a better game, if Bethesda is content with 110 people it's best they stick with that rather then get too big.

Daingurse

CDPR is really blowing up. I'm happy for them.

I mean it wouldn't just run on consoles. Unless you've played Witcher 1 you won't really get what I mean, it was not a good game.

Yep, it was great game. All the euro-jank in the world didn't stop it from being an awesome RPG.

Sotha_Sil

A larger team doesn't always equate to a better game, if Bethesda is content with 110 people it's best they stick with that rather then get too big.

In Bethesda's case, I think they bite off more than they can chew. I find their work on expansions to always be better than the main game; and partly because they're smaller in size. The writing, art direction, and overall creativity is always higher.

Shivering Isles vs Oblivion
The Pitt / Point Lookout vs Fallout 3
Dragonborn vs Skyrim

I'd be willing to bet Far Harbor will be better than Fallout 4, too. I would love it if Bethesda focused on making TES VI last 50-75 hours to complete everything instead of 300.

In TW3's case, it's clear that having extra writers helped with filling the world with so many great storylines (of course, their writers were better in quality as well). Building a game within the scope of your team is important, and I feel CDPR did a great job at that.

ShinMaruku

Hopefully they keep their operations modest enough to not be outlandish like some other studios, but with the new people hopefully they can shore up the things CDProjekt are a bit weak on. ( I was never fond of the combat in the witcher and that prevented me from playing their games, hopefull that can change.)

Artdayne

CDPR is really blowing up. I'm happy for them.

Yep, it was great game. All the euro-jank in the world didn't stop it from being an awesome RPG.

Yeah, Witcher 1 was a great game. I think a lot of people who hate it are playing it for the first time recently. It's nearly 10 years old and had a small budget. But the game was very well received at the time. If you look at the metacric, it has an 86 metacritic score, 8.5 user score. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-witcher-enhanced-edition

OHjaysimpsan

Neo Member
Oh yes!!!! Now use this talented dev team to make cyberpunk 2077 as close to blade runner as you can without getting your ass sued. Love you cd projekt red for giving this genre a chance.

This is what I like about CDPR, they take the success from their last game and invest it in their studio, they don't just sit on the cash like so many do.

Top Bottom