• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE 68K games on MiSTer FPGA...accurate to OG hardware and you don't need to take a mortgage out to play! shmup heaven

VGEsoterica

I love shmups and I love CAVE games...but holy shit are they expensive! An original PCB for some of the CAVE 68K stuff is multiple thousands of dollars...or a legit mortgage payment in most areas of the US. So needless to say people who want a zero lag experience, which is absolutely necessary for bullet hell shmups....don't love software emulation.

But now the CAVE 68K arcade board is on MiSTer FPGA...so you just need to spend like half a rent payment to get in on the 1:1 PCB accurate shmup action. Because no lie if you bought all the original PCBs for the games the cores provide...you are easily in excess of 10K on a friends deal and closer to 15K if you just pay eBay prices (def dont do that)

but that's why I continually love MiSTer. Load up the core, rotate your CRT 90 degrees and play some of the best bullet hell shmups ever made. Oh plus Puzzle Uo Poko...the best Bubble Bobble clone featuring a cat to ever exist (Gaia Crusaders is legit too)

I am sure there are some bullet hell / CAVE fans on GAF...where are you? curious whos played the FPGA cores yet?

alienator

they are great sofar, waiting for Jotego to dive ito the PGM hardware to give us espgaluda and stuff (ketsui!)

The 8Ing cores of battle garegga, bakraid and batrider are also very nice at the moment. (and sorcer strike!!)

The misterfpga is a wonderfull device, build in my modded 1up Arcade cab. but i can just grab it and hook it up my pvm's without any hassle.

Sometimes i look at the wirehell of all my original consoles that are hooked up and wonder if i should just sell them all and buy a second mister. Sometimes though, u cant beat the original hardware but that is reaching an age of continuously needing repairs and maitenance :| Anyways, the mister is great.... its the best actually. nothing comes close.

00_Zer0

I love shmups and I love CAVE games...but holy shit are they expensive! An original PCB for some of the CAVE 68K stuff is multiple thousands of dollars...or a legit mortgage payment in most areas of the US. So needless to say people who want a zero lag experience, which is absolutely necessary for bullet hell shmups....don't love software emulation.

But now the CAVE 68K arcade board is on MiSTer FPGA...so you just need to spend like half a rent payment to get in on the 1:1 PCB accurate shmup action. Because no lie if you bought all the original PCBs for the games the cores provide...you are easily in excess of 10K on a friends deal and closer to 15K if you just pay eBay prices (def dont do that)

but that's why I continually love MiSTer. Load up the core, rotate your CRT 90 degrees and play some of the best bullet hell shmups ever made. Oh plus Puzzle Uo Poko...the best Bubble Bobble clone featuring a cat to ever exist (Gaia Crusaders is legit too)

I am sure there are some bullet hell / CAVE fans on GAF...where are you? curious whos played the FPGA cores yet?

Pardon my ignorance but you still need a full romset to get this working, no?

I know if I bought the original PCBs and somehow extracted the rom data off of each board it would take a lot of time and money for such an endeavor, and after all that trouble the original developer wouldn't recieve a cent of my money.

It seems pointless to do that, but I do that with all my recent purchases of old console games. Buy used cartridges, or discs, dump them myself and then play them on an emulator. I even dump the bios from consoles I own. So in other words if I have to download a full romset to get these working I'm still hesitant doing so.

Then you have others out there that buy broken PCBs on the cheap, fix shorts, put new caps on, or burn new rom chips from a MAME romset that matches their board to fix them to be good as new and I have no problem with that. Does that make me a hypocrite, or self righteous?

VGEsoterica

Pardon my ignorance but you still need a full romset to get this working, no?

I know if I bought the original PCBs and somehow extracted the rom data off of each board it would take a lot of time and money for such an endeavor, and after all that trouble the original developer wouldn't recieve a cent of my money.

It seems pointless to do that, but I do that with all my recent purchases of old console games. Buy used cartridges, or discs, dump them myself and then play them on an emulator. I even dump the bios from consoles I own. So in other words if I have to download a full romset to get these working I'm still hesitant doing so.

Then you have others out there that buy broken PCBs on the cheap, fix shorts, put new caps on, or burn new rom chips from a MAME romset that matches their board to fix them to be good as new and I have no problem with that. Does that make me a hypocrite, or self righteous?
no need to dump roms...they already exist

Dev1lXYZ

Favorite CAVE shmups:
Battle Garrega
Ketsui Dethtiny
Dodanpachi Resurrection
Deathsmiles
Dangun Feveron

Gwange....I don't get...but, it's fun.

P.S. I see this very same thread on the Shmups Forum! 😅

Last edited:

00_Zer0

no need to dump roms...they already exist
Sorry for going a little OT, but wow that's amazing. Is this the same on all arcade ports so far? So the FPGA recreates an exact match for every chip on the arcade boards available so far? Since Neo Geo has swappable roms you would need back up roms for those, no? Is there a good resource to find out every complete and up and coming arcade board available on the MiSTer so far? I would love access to some of the Universal arcade games and Sega/Taito Super Scalers.

SScorpio

Sorry for going a little OT, but wow that's amazing. Is this the same on all arcade ports so far? So the FPGA recreates an exact match for every chip on the arcade boards available so far? Since Neo Geo has swappable roms you would need back up roms for those, no? Is there a good resource to find out every complete and up and coming arcade board available on the MiSTer so far? I would love access to some of the Universal arcade games and Sega/Taito Super Scalers.
Here's the list of official released Arcade games. It doesn't include the stuff that's not in the main repo.
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/cores/arcade/

The cores just use the normal MAME romsets. As for the super scalers, while Jotego is working on Outrun as we speak.

Top Bottom