• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caught cashier trying to steal from me, not sure what to do?

So I was at the pharmacy when a young lady was serving me at the cash the other day. Rang my order and I paid. While walking to my car, I thought I had paid a bit more than what I thought my items should have come to, no more than around $10. However, I was calculating it in my head, as when asked if I wanted my receipt, I declined. So I thought maybe I was just wrong, no biggie, didn’t think about it again. Today, I had the same person serve me. This time when asked if I wanted my receipt, I said yes please, as I wanted the confirmation code for the gift card I purchased. When I asked for my receipt, she kind of gave this annoyed look to her coworker next to her, as if it was an inconvenience that I had asked for my receipt. She then proceeded to tell me that she accidentally charged me $10 in cash back, and proceeded to hand me the cash. I honestly thought nothing much of it, only an honest mistake. Only while I was walking to my car I thought about the last time she had served me, and stories in the news about this exact scheme. It is now obvious to me that this was her trying to pocket that money, especially given her reaction to her coworker. Just looking for some thoughts? Should I do anything? I really don’t want to get anyone into too much trouble, as theft can possibly affect her if she were to get a criminal record or something. She was just young, maybe 17-18? At the same time, clearly she is doing this to a lot of people. I’m torn. Ive been young, made stupid decisions/mistakes, and have faced hard times in the past. I don’t know her situation in life, and what is making her want to do this… any advice would be appreciated.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Just accept her crimes so she learns to keep doing it. That should set her straight I think.

edit: you should try having a nice little talk with her and asks if she needs some more money. Really try to be as empathetic as possible with the thief who robbed you. Ya never know, you could be saving her life.

Last edited:

Tschumi

My sister once took me to a famous department store in Berlin and showed off to me as she stole a pair of earrings, even gave me a look of savage triumph.. shortly after leaving the shop a hand fell on her shoulder.. i went to the security office with her but pretty soon they put me in the car to wait, i think i probably cried more than her, in sympathy... she never stole again as far as i know!

I'm this case, I'd talk to her boss, obviously. Get her fired or at least chewed out... Giving her friend an annoyed look is pretty disgusting lol

Bullet Club

You don't need to directly confront her or talk to her boss. Just send off a few anonymous emails to the business and let them deal with it.

Cleared_Hot

You don't need to directly confront her or talk to her boss. Just send off a few anonymous emails to the business and let them deal with it.
Bro. She is stealing and you want him to go out of his way. Dude just tell the manager what happened. He would like to know because this could become a massive problem for him. He could end up losing his job as well if the next person who finds out is somebody corporate

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Bro. She is stealing and you want him to go out of his way. Dude just tell the manager what happened. He would like to know because this could become a massive problem for him. He could end up losing his job as well if the next person who finds out is somebody corporate
Having a direct confrontation with a barely 18 cashier who's immoral and brazen enough to regularly defraud customers out of money to their faces poses a massive risk these days. You could end up being posted online as a Karen, or physically assaulted, or publicly shamed in any number of ways.

The smartest move is to deal with it like Bullet Club Bullet Club said, with the least amount of personal exposure.

"Let me speak to your manager!" is basically what you're telling him to do.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Having a direct confrontation with a barely 18 cashier who's immortal and brazen enough to regularly defraud customers out of money to their faces poses a massive risk these days. You could end up being posted online as a Karen, or physically assaulted, or publicly shamed in any number of ways.

The smartest move is to deal with it like Bullet Club Bullet Club said, with the least amount of personal exposure.

You've let social media turn you into a pussy. Fucking stand up for yourself. And that includes at least going there and politely asking to talk to the manager in private.

You're only a "Karen" if you're making a scene and it's unjustified.

Last edited:
go back to that store and report her to the manager.

if some cunt is trying to steal from me then i don't give a shit what happens to them. let them lose their job, get a record, etc. it's their own dumb fault.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If she’s doing it to you, she’s definitely doing it to little old ladies. Yes, there is a chance that she needs the money, but there’s also a good chance she’s just a thieving little fuck and she’s stealing from other people who may need the money.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Bad advice time.

Karen it up. Take advantage of the intercom and announce it over the loudspeaker.

If she’s doing it to you, she’s definitely doing it to little old ladies. Yes, there is a chance that she needs the money, but there’s also a good chance she’s just a thieving little fuck and she’s stealing from other people who may need the money.
she's got a job (for now). we all need the money that's why we work. she's an idiot to steal at work. that $10 she tried to steal might cost her a job so she can say goodbye to her weekly/monthly pay and puts at risk any chance of getting another job. nobody wants to hire a thief.

sounds like a dumb little kid who needs to learn a lesson. you're right there will be people who won't think anything of it. OP at least noticed. she needs reported to her manager.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Having a direct confrontation with a barely 18 cashier who's immoral and brazen enough to regularly defraud customers out of money to their faces poses a massive risk these days. You could end up being posted online as a Karen, or physically assaulted, or publicly shamed in any number of ways.

What? No..

Politely say it to the store that you think you may have been mischarged the other day.
You can either say it to the girl or whoever is on. Theyll probably have a look through some cameras if available and then they'll probably refund you.

They won't want a scene either and everything that needs to happen will happen behind closed doors.

Politely confront. Play innocent at first.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Call cvs corporate. Fuck that.

You need to report that. There's no way she accidentally charged you cash back.

go back to that store and report her to the manager.

if some cunt is trying to steal from me then i don't give a shit what happens to them. let them lose their job, get a record, etc. it's their own dumb fault.

Report it - for the next victim it might mean the difference between heating or eating.

A thief is a thief and she is in a position of trust over some vulnerable customers.

Also, what are you doing not checking the display or pdq before zapping your card?

M MoG EclipsE

Do this, report her to the head office or directly to the manager. She'll get caught easily because the register transaction receipts will show a statistically improbable number of $10 cashback when she's logged in (and probably her coworker too).

What's likley to happen is she'll just get fired without the police getting involved because corporate companies don't want incidents like this to become public knowledge as it will hurt their brand.

catvonpee

I have to go to CVS to get my mom's medicine all the time. They don't ask if you want a receipt because they are always supposed to give you one. I would turn her in because she is probably stealing from others, and elderly people too.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I would talk to management. Let them know you are not positive. I used to a cashier. If they track a cashier, they can usually figure out pretty quick if they are being dishonest.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
dave chappelle slap GIF

Reckheim

Real question is who the hell buys stuff and doesn't ask for a receipt.
90% of the time I don't either. I look at the total and if it seems within range I just pay it on move on with my life. Arguing about a few dollars ain't worth the time and effort.

Obviously for anything significant I get a receipt.

Op, report it to management. Like someone else mentioned; if she is doing it to you, she is definitely doing it to senior citizens. Fuck her.

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
Honestly, contact the store, and file a complaint.

I did some stupid thieving when I was younger as well. Internal thief of merchandise at a art store I worked at for a year and a half.

What got us all caught (multiple employees plus the district manager) was the one idiot that was stealing money from the register. You never steal cash, or charge cards, it's the one thing that will raise a red flag.

Well, it was a lesson learned hard. I realized from that point forward I wouldn't do it anymore because I didn't want to have to go through all of that again.

Sometimes it's things like this, when they get caught that will straighten them out.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So I was at the pharmacy when a young lady was serving me at the cash the other day. Rang my order and I paid. While walking to my car, I thought I had paid a bit more than what I thought my items should have come to, no more than around $10. However, I was calculating it in my head, as when asked if I wanted my receipt, I declined. So I thought maybe I was just wrong, no biggie, didn’t think about it again. Today, I had the same person serve me. This time when asked if I wanted my receipt, I said yes please, as I wanted the confirmation code for the gift card I purchased. When I asked for my receipt, she kind of gave this annoyed look to her coworker next to her, as if it was an inconvenience that I had asked for my receipt. She then proceeded to tell me that she accidentally charged me $10 in cash back, and proceeded to hand me the cash. I honestly thought nothing much of it, only an honest mistake. Only while I was walking to my car I thought about the last time she had served me, and stories in the news about this exact scheme. It is now obvious to me that this was her trying to pocket that money, especially given her reaction to her coworker. Just looking for some thoughts? Should I do anything? I really don’t want to get anyone into too much trouble, as theft can possibly affect her if she were to get a criminal record or something. She was just young, maybe 17-18? At the same time, clearly she is doing this to a lot of people. I’m torn. Ive been young, made stupid decisions/mistakes, and have faced hard times in the past. I don’t know her situation in life, and what is making her want to do this… any advice would be appreciated.
That is her problem, you do not have the obligation and you should not feel bad, the crime is a crime after all, it does not bother your conscience or anything.

If you see that she is committing something wrong, raise a complaint.

And dont feel sorry for nobody.

StormCell

Regardless of what you do, OP, she will eventually get caught. It may even already be too late for her.

This is really about you. It's about the principle of the matter. The store shouldn't be able to take your money like that without you being able to see what's being done. She may have gotten your cash, but the store ultimately took your money. They need to correct that. I would make some phone calls and at minimum speak to the store manager.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am confused, don’t they have screens on the cash register that display how much you owe, allowing you to calculate in your head if it adds with what you chose to buy?

Bad advice time.

Karen it up. Take advantage of the intercom and announce it over the loudspeaker.
Before or after farting into the intercom?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fuck her up!
Nah seriously, speak to the manager and they'll check the cameras.
But this goes both ways, a lot of people do the "I gave you a 20"
When there isn't even a 20 in the till.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Uh, fuck her. Report her!

Yeah so I looked this cash back scam up and not that I trust Snopes, but they're saying cashiers no longer have the ability to manually do cash back on the customers behalf. They would have to reach over to the customer keypad and do it. She didn't do that, did she?

Top Bottom