• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catholic priest put an aborted fetus on the altar in an appeal for Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
WHAT THE FUCK. In such a ridiculous, gross, disgusting year, this is the worst thing that's been done. I'm going to throw up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-on-the-altar-in-an-appeal-for-donald-trump/

Ahead of Tuesday’s presidential election, the Rev. Frank Pavone took an aborted fetus, laid it upon an altar Sunday and posted a live video on Facebook. Pavone, a Catholic priest who heads New York-based Priests for Life, said the fetus was entrusted to him by a pathologist for burial.

During an already heated and divisive campaign season, Pavone’s video has raised questions for some about what is appropriate antiabortion and political activism in the church. As of Monday afternoon, the video, which is 44 minutes long, had 236,000 views. In it, he holds up a poster of graphics of abortion procedures.

In Pavone’s Facebook appeal, he wrote, “we have to decide if we will allow this child killing to continue in America or not. Hillary Clinton and the Democratic platform says yes, let the child-killing continue (and you pay for it); Donald Trump and the Republican platform says no, the child should be protected.”

A call placed to the spokesman for the Diocese of Amarillo in Texas, which is Pavone’s diocese, was not immediately returned Monday. The receptionist, however, said her phone has been ringing off the hook.

In a blog post for Patheos, Scott Eric Alt argued that what Pavone did was sacrilege, a violation of Catholic Church canon law, which states that the altar is “reserved for divine worship alone, to the exclusion of any secular usage.”

“Being pro-life is about respecting the dignity of the human person,” Alt wrote. “It is the antithesis of respect for the dignity of the human person to use a dead child as a political prop to lobby for your presidential candidate the day before an election.”

Pavone is a high-profile antiabortion activist who has clashed with leadership within the Catholic Church. In 2014, Cardinal Timothy Dolan cut ties with the priest after Dolan suggested that Pavone had stonewalled financial reform within his organization, which is based out of Staten Island. A spokesman for Dolan, who is also chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Pro-Life Activities, said the archdiocese does not have a relationship with Pavone and has no comment on the video.

In a blog post for the Archdiocese of New York, Ed Mechmann wrote about the “revulsion” he felt about the video.

“A human being has been sacrificed and the altar of God has been desecrated, all for politics,” he wrote. “Everyone who respects the dignity of every human person should reject and disavow this atrocity.”

video here: https://www.facebook.com/fatherfrankpavone/videos/10153796897720670/ NSFL

VariantX

That's an assholish thing to do. Dude was entrusted to bury the child, not put it on display on a altar. Not clicking the link for my sanity's sake.

johnsmith

remember me
"the archdiocese does not have a relationship with Pavone"

That means he's not a catholic priest, right?
No. it just means
giphy.gif

This happened in Texas, Dolan's archdiocese is in New York

the fetus was entrusted to him by a pathologist for burial.

The hell man... Never clicking that link but is there a damn pentagram under it as well with a flaming goat skull. Seriously fucked up, and this is their appeal to pro-choice people? By parading around a fetus they promised to give a proper burial too...

They wonder why people think religious people are nut jobs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll raise you a miniature American flag in an appeal for Hillary.

Aaron

I wish conspiracy theories were actually true. Then we could round up all the Trump voters after the election, and... I honestly don't know what to do with them. Ship them to Russia?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Yes, because this will.somehow get you to vote for the demagogue who will do absolutely nothing to reverse Roe vs Wade. Horrific individual.

I wish conspiracy theories were actually true. Then we could round up all the Trump voters after the election, and... I honestly don't know what to do with them. Ship them to Russia?

That would be wildly irresponsible of us. We could create a reservation/wildlife preserve for them in Wyoming, though. There could even be a nice, high wall like they've always dreamed of to keep the "immigrants" out.

joe2187

Banned
So they're now making ritual sacrifices to appease trump?

For some reason I thought we were already past that point.

Fj0823

Holy Fucking shit...

Are all American Catholics like this?

In here it's basically "Abortion is bad unless your health is truly on the line"

Nothing like..well...THAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom