• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions |OT| - The ball is your best friend

RCU005

I'll definitely get this, but I can't get it at full price.

I really expect the game will be so much fun. Someone please confirm or deny.

DCDW

Oof, the PC version at the moment is a turkey. Can't play on any other resolution other than 1080P without the Text UI mismatching the buttons (Unless you play in bordered window mode). Then after switching to bordered window mode, the characters would vibrate with their animations (didn't actually play a match, just noped out when the animation played). Apparently the game speed is affected by the Hz the monitor is set to, so you have to set your monitor itself to 1080P + 60hz just to play the thing. Then others are having numerous crashes when Tsubasa shoots the ball. Other goofy things like the kick charge meter taking literal minutes to charge up. I'm waiting until tomorrow to see a patch, and if there's no patch, I'm refunding this (currently) broken game.

Edit: Also the online servers aren't up so it's offline mode only at the moment.

Last edited:

royox

Oof, the PC version at the moment is a turkey. Can't play on any other resolution other than 1080P without the Text UI mismatching the buttons (Unless you play in bordered window mode). Then after switching to bordered window mode, the characters would vibrate with their animations (didn't actually play a match, just noped out when the animation played). Apparently the game speed is affected by the Hz the monitor is set to, so you have to set your monitor itself to 1080P + 60hz just to play the thing. Then others are having numerous crashes when Tsubasa shoots the ball. Other goofy things like the kick charge meter taking literal minutes to charge up. I'm waiting until tomorrow to see a patch, and if there's no patch, I'm refunding this (currently) broken game.

Edit: Also the online servers aren't up so it's offline mode only at the moment.

Years ago I learned not to buy any PC version of Bandai Namco anime games.

vkbest

To get back to this one, since I've bought it for PS4, it definitely runs at 60 on Pro (my Pro is running with 1080p output, though, dunno if it also runs at higher res).

I don't know what resolution is the game, but the game is 30fps even if you are playing on FullHD on Pro

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Played a couple hours before work. Enjoying it so far. Still pretty early on in the game so hardly anything is unlocked. Cant wait to continue the story mode!!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Legend! Multiplat that misses one platform. Something still happening with the Japanese studios vs xbox policy.

Zoro7

Banned
The Legend! Multiplat that misses one platform. Something still happening with the Japanese studios vs xbox policy.
Didn’t Xbox sell like a few hundred in Japan last month? Weird that they would want to miss out on potential world wide sales though.

I don't know what resolution is the game, but the game is 30fps even if you are playing on FullHD on Pro
Are you sure? It def looked looked like 60 to me, as the ball moved moved very smooth. Might be the first time in my life where I don't see the difference.

vkbest

Are you sure? It def looked looked like 60 to me, as the ball moved moved very smooth. Might be the first time in my life where I don't see the difference.

This is PC version unlocked framerate

This is Pro version

You can see the smooth difference between 2 videos even when the PC version has been dropping frames.

This is PC version unlocked framerate

This is Pro version

You can see the smooth difference between 2 videos even when the PC version has been dropping frames.

I stand corrected. It still looks remarkably smooth for a 30fps game, could've sworn it was 60. lol. Guess I'm getting old.

TLZ

Banned
I went and created the Nankatsu Dream Team. It's the team I've been wishing to see since forever. The Quartet of Otomo who left Nankatsu are back (2 starters and 2 subs), and of course Wakabayashi and Misaki.

Then I added Nitta since he played for Nankatsu elementary team too after Tsubasa and co left for the older team, and Nitta was their best player and won the championship with them too. So:

(GK)
Wakabayashi

(DF)
Kishida - Takasugi - Ishizaki - Urabe

(MF)
Izawa - Tsubasa - Misaki - Taki

(FW)
Kisugi - Nitta

Ahhhh yesss 😁

Nankatsu

Gold Member
PC Players seem to be struggling a bit with bugs.

Seems when Tsubasa shots the game crashes? Powerful Drive Shot, damn!

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not gonna lie, this game is teasing me, and i usually dislike sports games.
But the nostalgia is beckoning so sweetly.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Man the game a serious learning curve. Everyone going for this expecting a real simulation football game type, couldn't be more wrong.

Barnabot

i've watched watching this anime during my childhood. Here in Brazil it was called "Super Campeões" (Super Champion s or something) for some reason. Might give it a try.

Desaccorde

Man, since when it has become a norm to release half baked PC products I don't know. This should be revoked from PC with these problems. What do you mean resolution higher than 1080p doesn't work? Like how can you even manage that?

Hello football players,

We're aware of several issues happening on the Steam version of the game. We are investigating them and are working on fixing the following points as our highest priority:

① Network Error [Resolved]

② Text Misalignment (on fullscreen or borderless)

③ Crash happening during Otomo episode

④ Animation becomes double-speed

⑤ Low FPS issue

⑥ Early purchase bonus (or Month 1 edition bonus) not being able to download

-UPDATE-
New issues found:

⑦ Xbox Controller does not function

⑧ Resolution higher than 1920x1080 doesn't work

Thank you for your patience and understanding, we're sorry for the inconvenince caused by these issues. We will update you as soon as we have more news.

DCDW

Man, since when it has become a norm to release half baked PC products I don't know. This should be revoked from PC with these problems. What do you mean resolution higher than 1080p doesn't work? Like how can you even manage that?
I refunded the game. It's unacceptable to be released in this state. I gave them until Friday night to release a patch, which I know is probably unrealistic time wise. Had this game been cheaper, I would have been more patient, but the extent of the bugs tells me the PC port was barely tested and that's not acceptable for $80 (Canadian).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I refunded the game. It's unacceptable to be released in this state. I gave them until Friday night to release a patch, which I know is probably unrealistic time wise. Had this game been cheaper, I would have been more patient, but the extent of the bugs tells me the PC port was barely tested and that's not acceptable for $80 (Canadian).

Very likely it was tested and the QA’s ignored. Happens all the time unfortunately, have more respect for QA’s most of the time they are screwed over :/...

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Nice to know.

Are there ost from the anime?

So far no, but the OST of the game is pretty amazing. Just the fact that each team for their V-zone has a specific tune amazed me.

Being Bandai Namco you can except official anime OST...via paid DLC lol.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I got it on PC on launch and just finished the story mode (including the custom character). I'm a casual FIFA fan but I like arcade sports games (not enough of them this days).

Bugs I've seen so far:
- Text misalignment in any other mode than windowed (played the damned thing in Window mode)
- 1 CTD during campaign after a match, almost sure it costed me not getting the points towards my character
- Random (but not that common) frame drops (I'm playing on a TV so 60 Hz, V-Sync on)
- Animations go weird some times when tackling/dribbling
- Once I managed to avoid the GK and did a special shot but the GK was magically back at his place and stopped the ball

Other than that it worked well enough in order to play. I got seriously hooked once I understood most of the mechanics. The learning curve is longer than a regular soccer game and the story mode puts you through random new tutorials even towards the end of the game. Once it clicks and you are playing against a tough team (like the last match on the story mode) the game really becomes fast. So fast that some times it's hard to know exactly what's happening.

It has the classical anime game jankyness that's present in most of the licensed games I've played (Saint Seiya comes to mind) but the game has a lot of charm. I enjoyed the story mode in recent FIFAs a lot because it really makes every play important so this game's story mode is right up my alley. There is a stats meta game involved which has to do with a buddy system and interacting with specific characters. There are also events in matches that can be detonated under very specific conditions to unlock (for example steal the ball from x character with y character during overtime) and that gives you points to exchange in the store. Some of these events are part of the story and are unavoidable and at least during story mode it can feel very unfair.

Those points allow you to buy chests that contain random items and player cards which are used to level up your character's relationship and learn new moves and skills for custom created characters. You can create up to 20 characters and register them but you have to go through the full story mode with each one of them. After finishing you can use that custom character in local and online versus matches. For online matches you can have up to 8 custom characters including bench players. The limitation is that each character has a cost depending on it's skills and you can't have more than 1100 points cost during online matches (I have only played once online, this might be different further into the league).

I recomend this game as long as you can put up with jankyness and you like Captain Tsubasa and/or arcade sport games. Don't expect refined and responsive controls from other soccer games but I think it's part of the fun. I feel this could be an amazing party game.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Man those special scenes that need specific setups to be triggered during the matches are pretty cool.

Just finished story mode, episode Tsubasa and decided that before tackling New hero I'm gonna do all the special cutscenes, because they unlock special moves. It's actually cool.

Like A.Romero A.Romero said, its not your typical football game. What makes it great is its approach and respect for the source material, it is very different from the ton of reused sinulatiob football games we got this generation.

Just did the Nitta non trap volley shot special cutscene and it's amazingly well animated. To my surprise I unlocked the skill.

Can't wait to dive in to new hero.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Man those special scenes that need specific setups to be triggered during the matches are pretty cool.

Just finished story mode, episode Tsubasa and decided that before tackling New hero I'm gonna do all the special cutscenes, because they unlock special moves. It's actually cool.

Like A.Romero A.Romero said, its not your typical football game. What makes it great is its approach and respect for the source material, it is very different from the ton of reused sinulatiob football games we got this generation.

Just did the Nitta non trap volley shot special cutscene and it's amazingly well animated. To my surprise I unlocked the skill.

Can't wait to dive in to new hero.

The skills that you get with those events apply to what character? I thought it only applied to custom characters...

I agree with you, there is a ton of respect for the source material. The animation, the voices, personalities, etc. I really felt like I was playing an episode (or several) of Captain Tsubasa.

Zoro7

Banned
Does anyone know how you get your custom character to 150 or more (cost). There is a trophy on PS4 for it but my 2 play throughs so far I only managed 120. You must need to get SSS rank every game or something?

royox

Man....
All that talk DLC and editions eliminated my Hype for this game!

But as a spaniard I would pay loads of cash for using this bitch on my game lol
maxresdefault.jpg

ActualBlushingErin-size_restricted.gif

Nankatsu

Gold Member
That's Michael, the biggest threat to Tsubasa.

Currently in Captain Tsubasa Dream Team, Mobile gacha game, for example, he is the strongest character by far.

A.Romero

That's Michael, the biggest threat to Tsubasa.

Currently in Captain Tsubasa Dream Team, Mobile gacha game, for example, he is the strongest character by far.

I don't know if this is a widely known rumor but at least in Mexico (where the anime was wildly popular) there is a rumor about the truth behind Captain Tsubasa: Tsubasa got seriously hurt when the truck hit him, losing both of his legs. Everything that happens afterwards is part of a dream that he has where he actually wins the world cup. Today I was talking with my brother about it and he said that maybe the crazy movements and crazy proportions in the drawings are a message: that's how a kid without life experience could be imagining/dreaming the world and the sport.

100% on topic: I want to play more but I don't want to get frustrated so I'm waiting for the patch. The Steam page doens't have any news since they acknowledged the issues and said they are working on them. Have you guys heard anything more specific?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I don't know if this is a widely known rumor but at least in Mexico (where the anime was wildly popular) there is a rumor about the truth behind Captain Tsubasa: Tsubasa got seriously hurt when the truck hit him, losing both of his legs. Everything that happens afterwards is part of a dream that he has where he actually wins the world cup. Today I was talking with my brother about it and he said that maybe the crazy movements and crazy proportions in the drawings are a message: that's how a kid without life experience could be imagining/dreaming the world and the sport.

100% on topic: I want to play more but I don't want to get frustrated so I'm waiting for the patch. The Steam page doens't have any news since they acknowledged the issues and said they are working on them. Have you guys heard anything more specific?

Don't know about the spoiler part man, as soon as I read it, it remembered me of the old rumor regarding Doraemon, which is false:
QchOQm.png

New hero more is pretty fun. About to start my game against Italy and when they introduce you to story challenges things get tricky.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Don't know about the spoiler part man, as soon as I read it, it remembered me of the old rumor regarding Doraemon, which is false:
QchOQm.png

New hero more is pretty fun. About to start my game against Italy and when they introduce you to story challenges things get tricky.

Yes. It annoy me a little bit that some of the requirements involved get some characters in the lineup that I really have no interest playing with.

TLZ

Banned
So I finished New Hero mode, and at the end it said I can play against Brazilian and American teams and Appeal to them for challenges and rank up etc.

But.... Where's this? Where do I find those teams or this mode? What is this??

I'm very confused.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So I finished New Hero mode, and at the end it said I can play against Brazilian and American teams and Appeal to them for challenges and rank up etc.

But.... Where's this? Where do I find those teams or this mode? What is this??

I'm very confused.

Each school you choose at the beginning, offers a different layout of matches for the tournament.

So, in order to unlock all teams, you must do 3 new hero runs, with each school.

A pain in the ass, I know.

I've been trying to do story challenges in one run of the corresponded match. Shit, those are difficult as hell.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'm even more confused now 😅 Do you mean 3 runs per school, so 9 runs total? Or one run per school, so 3 total?

I finished the mode with Furano.

Then you gotta do 2 more runs: one with Toho and one with Musashi.

Tip: for Musashi play as a forward. I went MF because I wanted to play OMF and Misugi is the golden king in that spot and locks it.

He only plays 2nd half and not even on 1st half you can play OMF.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom