• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom will charge a small fee for upgrading to the PS5 version in Japan (for RE7, RE2 and RE3)

ranmafan

This has been a constant annoyance since the ps5 has launched here in Japan and I’ve and many others have complained about it since day one. We never get an good answer as to why other than it’s supposedly related to some consumer protection law but no one says what the reason is exactly. Of course Japanese laws tend to be confusing and hard to understand in general. Thankfully since going full digital on playstation the last few years I’ve started to avoid this problem a lot since I buy most of my games via the us Psn store. Especially resident evil to avoid the cero bs censorship. So luckily I won’t get hit with the 100 yen or so charge this time. But the times it has happened it’s been a huge annoyance.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where are the guys who said, upgrade fees are good for developers? How do you like this now? Because this will be the future for gaming, if you want to upgrade your games to next gen. We the consumers will have to suffer the consequences of these actions now. I feel sorry for the japanese users, who will have to shell money now for these upgrades.

It was never a good thing to pay 10$ for upgrade. Now you will have to pay upgrades in the future, if companies follow Sony approach.
I'm sorry but how did you upgrade from the 360/PS3 version to the Xbox One/PS4 version before?
Because you said $10 upgrade is the future 🤔

kingfey

Banned
I'm sorry but how did you upgrade from the 360/PS3 version to the Xbox One/PS4 version before?
Because you said $10 upgrade is the future 🤔
Nothing on xbox, and ps3 games cant run on ps4. Unless you mean the remastered games, which isnt an upgrade.

TGO

Nothing on xbox, and ps3 games cant run on ps4. Unless you mean the remastered games, which isnt an upgrade.
So you paid nothing to upgrade your 360 version of Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs etc to Nextgen
You bought the 360 version and got the Xbox One version for free?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
So you paid nothing to upgrade your 360 version of Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs etc to Nextgen
You bought the 360 version and got the Xbox One version for free?
Yes, i got them for free, because ms let me play supported xbox 360 games and with fps boost.

But to answer to your question, there was no upgrade for x360 to xbox one. Since no one done that, aside of remastered. This upgrade thing is new. You also have other devs doing the upgrade for free, without charging any money.

JaksGhost

Yes, i got them for free, because ms let me play supported xbox 360 games and with fps boost.

But to answer to your question, there was no upgrade for x360 to xbox one. Since no one done that, aside of remastered. This upgrade thing is new. You also have other devs doing the upgrade for free, without charging any money.
That’s simply not true.
Ubisoft x Xbox had a whole system and were even charging $70 for dual licenses.

Reactions: TGO

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
UN6lELx.gif

I guess those warning that this would spread to third party PS5 games eventually were right.

Last edited:

TGO

Don't get it twisted, I agree it should be free
How many years have we've seen these companies release full price Nextgen versions on console and in the same breath in their PR to get us to buy the new version say the PC version will be free
But the $10 charge doesn't bother me because I use to have to buy it full price.
So I ain't complaining either way because both are better then it was before.

Just take note that others Japan upgrades for PS5 have the same fee… it was discussed at launch.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-japan-charging-¥100-for-some-free-ps5-upgrades.1577355/

The game that didn’t have the fee could not be upgraded in Japan like Yakuza Like the Dragon.

BTW it really looks like a government thing and not related to the rating but unfair prices.

My iPhone translation from the PR:

“※Upgrading from the PS4 version to the PS5 version was free (Related article), due to the judgment related to Japan's unfair prizes and the Unfair Labeling Prevention Act, the upgrade has been changed to paid correspondence.”
Thanks for sharing that.
It's pretty much been a standard thing in Japan for this stuff and because the charges were the same I tried to find out what the hell was causing iages ago because it seemed to be the default way of doing this there so I was convinced that there was clearly something going on that was unavoidable. I did find an article somewhere mentioning that they had to do it and it was almost like a tax payment but that 4gamer.net does add a bit more info.
It really sounds like a law that was probably created with something else in mind but this stuff maybe got caught up in it by accident. At least it's just a token fee, I suppose.

FF7R had the same thing, it's apparently a legal thing which might be related to sku's or what not.

Yup.

I’d pay a fee. Hell, I’d tickle their ball ‘fro.

Few things are better than reaching into the closet and pulling out an old PS4 game with a (free-ish) upgrade.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Where are the guys who said, upgrade fees are good for developers? How do you like this now? Because this will be the future for gaming, if you want to upgrade your games to next gen. We the consumers will have to suffer the consequences of these actions now. I feel sorry for the japanese users, who will have to shell money now for these upgrades.

It was never a good thing to pay 10$ for upgrade. Now you will have to pay upgrades in the future, if companies follow Sony approach.
Stand down.

Top Bottom