• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Says The Gap Between PC and Console Sales Is Shrinking

sunnysideup

Banned

Capcom Says The Gap Between PC and Console Sales Is Shrinking​

Capcom has commented on the success of their games on PC and consoles. In an investors’ Q/A, they have expanded on their latest fiscal results.

PC has emerged as something of a behemoth market with most major Japanese publishers targeting it for their multiplatform games. Capcom is also aware of the lucrative opportunities in the PC gaming market and continues to support it with their games with a multiplatform release strategy.

In their latest investors’ Q/A session, Capcom was asked if the demand for their games on PC was exceeding consoles. “While demand for PC versions of games did not exceed that for console versions in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021, we feel that the gap between the two is shrinking, ” replied Capcom.

Capcom also considers PC an important channel for their games and will continue to support it going forward.

“In following our core strategy of multiplatform development, we continue to provide our content on a variety of devices, including PCs, in order to maximize our user base. As with home video game consoles, we feel that PCs are an important channel.”

Last edited:
I was aware of this when I first played Driveclub

tenor.gif

edit: N/M i read the thread title too fast and assumed it was talking about graphical gap

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
As expected. When you can get all games on one platform, people will flock that platform.

Sony should really rethink its pc strategy. They are helping building a monster. A defacto standard for gaming.

With steam deck, and valves inevitable future console-pc projects. I can really see traditional consoles becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Once Microtransactions completely take over. PC will be king. Sony will slowly try to grow bigger than AAA games. They are looking at Tencent free-to-play kingdom and are going to want a piece. They are smelling the gamepass nonsense. And will make waste-your-time games to fill up PSNow. RPGs,Gaas, mobas, etc. 90 million games that take 15 hours to beat will be a no go. 40 million 150 hour grind-a-tons only.

Covid Delta + Pro is coming anyway. So who cares.

reksveks

Waiting on sega earnings call now to see what they say, hopefully we will get some more definitive promises in comparison to the last call.

hlm666

As expected. When you can get all games on one platform, people will flock that platform.

Sony should really rethink its pc strategy. They are helping building a monster. A defacto standard for gaming.

With steam deck, and valves inevitable future console-pc projects. I can really see traditional consoles becoming a thing of the past.
So your telling me 3do was onto something but were ~28 years too early? Someone get Trip Hawkins on the phone.

Warablo

Ya, I think PC gamers were rising myself included before the graphic card shortage put a damper on everything.

slade

That is encouraging to hear. I built my own PC 3 years ago and have switched most of my mutiplat purchases to PC. What I really want from large Japanese publishers like Capcom though is ports of their older titles to PC. Bring me the Onimisha's, the Viewtiful Joe's, the Silent Hills. The good stuff.

GymWolf

It was made for switch initially. They had to remake the game for x86 and fp32 instructions.

It's a great game. I'll probably double dip.
Usually people put the real reason at the beginning of the post, but ok.

The game is gonna be the exact same at 4k60 with maybe better anisotropic and sightly better textures like MHS2, don't expect an incredible improved port from the switch, people double dipping is why capcom or rockstar do their ports a year later.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Usually people put the real reason at the beginning of the post, but ok.

The game is gonna be the exact same at 4k60 with maybe better anisotropic and sightly better textures like MHS2, don't expect an incredible improved port from the switch, people double dipping is why capcom or rockstar do their ports a year later.
*I'll probably double dip when it goes on sale next Christmas for $30.

Also, assuming there's no framerate limit 144/1440p >>>> 60/2160p.

Last edited:

martino

the only positive effect of capitalism need of growth....
After 15 years of strategies to milk always more a more or less stagnant audience...
now it's time to expand because milking more become really risky.

Fredrik

Calm down, PC gaming will never ever compete for real with consoles. I payed $1100 for the graphics card alone, $800 for the other parts minus the cabinet and PSU, and it was nothing special, add a screen and extra hdd, mouse, keyboard, and you’re up at $2000+ even with downgrades on some parts.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm trying to wait the pc version but one year is a long time to wait.
You only have 9 more months to go probably.

It's a great game, but I'd wait at this point. I just enjoyed the demo, and wanted something to play on switch.

If you buy any switch game this year, get smt 5.

GymWolf

You only have 9 more months to go probably.

It's a great game, but I'd wait at this point. I just enjoyed the demo, and wanted something to play on switch.

If you buy any switch game this year, get smt 5.
I didn't enjoyed the demo because the game seems noticeably different than world (and i loved world), but 720p30frame was also a big letdown coming from world on pc so i decided to wait.

But i'm weak when it comes to monster hunter (i double dipped world on ps4 and pc afterall)

Next game i'm gonna play on switch is something that can't never come to pc, so probably metroid prime 4 or botw2 if they fix the problems of the first one.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I didn't enjoyed the demo because the game seems noticeably different than world (and i loved world), but 720p30frame was also a big letdown coming from world on pc so i decided to wait.

But i'm weak when it comes to monster hunter (i double dipped world on ps4 and pc afterall)

Next game i'm gonna play on switch is something that can't never come to pc, so probably metroid prime 4 or botw2 if they fix the problems of the first one.
I actually never enjoyed a MH game until Rise. I only tried 4 and World and found them boring and slow, and Rise fixed that. Frame rate never bothered me on switch to be honest.

It's also fake 720p. You can see black pixels checkerboarded on it if you look close enough. Like PS1 games.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Calm down, PC gaming will never ever compete for real with consoles. I payed $1100 for the graphics card alone, $800 for the other parts minus the cabinet and PSU, and it was nothing special, add a screen and extra hdd, mouse, keyboard, and you’re up at $2000+ even with downgrades on some parts.

Let me guess you bought a 3080 from a scalper :p

Anyway

Good shit, never bought any of there games before on my old consoles but as they are on PCnow i played a few of them on steam. Will continuou to do so if they keep quality content going, such as re series.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I actually never enjoyed a MH game until Rise. I only tried 4 and World and found them boring and slow, and Rise fixed that. Frame rate never bothered me on switch to be honest.

It's also fake 720p. You can see black pixels checkerboarded on it if you look close enough. Like PS1 games.
I never enjoyed a MH before world and rise erased a lot fo things that i love from that game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I never enjoyed a MH before world and rise erased a lot fo things that i love from that game.
What was that?

I was under the impression that world was like old monster hunter but easier, and with continuous areas. Rise is the same except you can ride your dog and fly in the air.

cormack12

Gold Member
'....we feel that the gap between the two is shrinking'

I mean they have the figures and stats don't they? Why isn't this a definitive statement? Sounds more like it's based on projections and justifying the decision to release on PC to the investors? Unless I've missed something.

GymWolf

What was that?

I was under the impression that world was like old monster hunter but easier, and with continuous areas. Rise is the same except you can ride your dog and fly in the air.
It's a long post and i'm a slower writer, search my posts in the MH rise demo topic if you are interested.

But to sum up, everything that is not in rise that was originally in world, bothers me, and many new things in rise bother me as much.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Yes if they could just make a pc with one type of specs and a low price point

assurdum

Banned
So although their bad pc version, the sales growing? What a good news for the pc porting.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Capcom have a fairly good track record with PC ports from my experience, so this might be a word to the wise for other Japanese devs

martino

Yes if they could just make a pc with one type of specs and a low price point
both platform can exist , be healthy and share all the same content because the differences for os , hardware and experience you get out of them (with price in mind) are still big enough to please different audiences with different priorities.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
More people seeing the light of the definitive versions of games with less compromisses while costing the same!!! S2

ManaByte

Gold Member
Played SFV all day yesterday on PC. On max settings it's the best of the two versions. Capcom should patch the console one for PS5 to try to match the PC version.

Top Bottom