• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom is working on a Resident Evil 4 remake

Calverz

In TODAY's standards,

This is shit.

3LohEOc.jpg

This is not.

nP3nAbY.jpg

I mean, seriously, imagine a game releasing today for the PS5 and showing the first screenshot. What do you imagine the comments would be?

Yes, it's shit.
Ok

Soodanim

Look at me, in the eyes, and tell me with a straight face that if this screenshot was released for a new RE game, people everyone would comment with, 'It's really good'.

No.

Seriously.

Say it.
I don't think anyone is trying to say a GameCube game looks as good as today's games in terms of textures and graphical effects. But the art style of the game holds up well enough for a 15 year old game. It certainly doesn't look bad to me.

supernova8

Banned
I'd prefer a(nother) Resident Evil 1 remake. They really did the horror aspect well in RE 2 (the standard zombies were actually ominous for once due to their head bobbing/stumbling around making them slightly harder to kill. I think if they used all of the resources of the next-gen machines they could make a truly terrifying RE1 re-remake.

If they did it in VR (with visuals on par with or better than Half Life Alyx) then yeah there would be a lot of pants being shat in that year.

Soodanim

I'd prefer a(nother) Resident Evil 1 remake. They really did the horror aspect well in RE 2 (the standard zombies were actually ominous for once due to their head bobbing/stumbling around making them slightly harder to kill. I think if they used all of the resources of the next-gen machines they could make a truly terrifying RE1 re-remake.

If they did it in VR (with visuals on par with or better than Half Life Alyx) then yeah there would be a lot of pants being shat in that year.
For new fans, maybe. For old fans, it's either going to be so similar that it's not scary or so different that they hate it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
RE4 still holds up pretty well today. RE2 and 3 didn't at all, which is why they needed the remake.

You know what should have a remake?

Dino Crisis.

Could you imagine Capcom remaking that on new gen hardware. The thought makes me weak at the knees.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I don't think anyone is trying to say a GameCube game looks as good as today's games in terms of textures and graphical effects. But the art style of the game holds up well enough for a 15 year old game. It certainly doesn't look bad to me.
But it certainly could benefit with a face lift. That's all I'm saying.

And considering that RE4 was never scary to begin with (regenerators aside), I think the remake will end up being even scarier.

Tschumi

That's as expected, for me.. it kind of stands out among those of their "best" titles which had yet to be redone.

LarknThe4th

Yup, if they want to set up a new continuity where they will purge the Resident Evil 5 and 6(maybe they could jettison the really ridiculous stuff and squeeze both of these games into 9je new focused horror game)stuff from the canon it makes sense, also they can use the actor from Resi 8 for Chris and the lady from Resi 3 remake for jill so that solves that problem

Soodanim

But it certainly could benefit with a face lift. That's all I'm saying.

And considering that RE4 was never scary to begin with (regenerators aside), I think the remake will end up being even scarier.
Do you mean like www.re4hd.com or something a bit more drastic, like RE2/3R's visuals? I've no doubt that they can make a good looking game, but I do doubt their approach wouldn't take away what I think makes the original good.

Regenerators brings up an excellent point. People hate the Island, but it has so many tone shifts and the Regenerators are a perfect example of that. The creepy sounds and slow but unrelenting approach is unlike anything else in the game. Nice little switch up.

supernova8

Banned
Yup, if they want to set up a new continuity where they will purge the Resident Evil 5 and 6(maybe they could jettison the really ridiculous stuff and squeeze both of these games into 9je new focused horror game)stuff from the canon it makes sense, also they can use the actor from Resi 8 for Chris and the lady from Resi 3 remake for jill so that solves that problem

Speaking of squeezing, doing a new Resident Evil game that includes both Resident Evil Zero and RE1 into one game could be kinda cool. Doubt they would ever do it though.

4EZCOOLDART

Resident Evil 4 was great because it was a big revolutionary change for the series. Combat and controls were such a big step up. Unless they can somehow pull that off again it's just going to feel clunky and pointless.

Soodanim

Resident Evil 4 was great because it was a big revolutionary change for the series. Combat and controls were such a big step up. Unless they can somehow pull that off again it's just going to feel clunky and pointless.
What I find impressive is that Capcom already switched to 3D environments with Code Veronica, so all they did was move the camera behind the shoulder and let you aim where you want and give a dedicated knife button. It's still tank controls. The controls were largely the same, so it felt familiar yet totally different.

LarknThe4th

Speaking of squeezing, doing a new Resident Evil game that includes both Resident Evil Zero and RE1 into one game could be kinda cool. Doubt they would ever do it though.
They could condense Zero into a prologue that just has Rebecca getting to the train and then escaping it and heading to the mansion(everything after the train in zero is pretty forgettable and some things are cringe like the singing leech man) and then give her an expanded role in Resi 1 remake

Maybe release it for 20 euro and have it double as press for an upcoming Resi 1 remake

Astral Dog

my dream is a CODE VERONICA REmake, as much as i love RE4 i don't think that game NEEDS a remake,while CV could be upgraded beautifully, however i get why they are doing RE4 first 💰

Ideally the REmake 2 team would make CV after helping on VILLAGE, while the REmake 3 team (M two?) is working on Resident Evil 4 there is a lot of potential on the setting/art alone for a classic horror game, HD Wesker, the artic base, a mansion, creepy doll house, ancient catacombs, Umbrella history, mad doctor lair etc and the music is amazing .

-Arcadia-

Banned
The Wii version ruined every other version of this game for all time.

Thing is, I always felt like this version lost a little intensity. When you can practically paint every head on screen within a couple of seconds, you’re kind of messing with the tempo of RE4, with the intended feelings of being overwhelmed, or even needing to run away and use level features.

But it is super fun and worth it’s own playthrough from time to time. I don’t know that aiming in any game ever felt that good.

LarknThe4th

Thing is, I always felt like this version lost a little intensity. When you can practically paint every head on screen within a couple of seconds, you’re kind of messing with the tempo of RE4, with the intended feelings of being overwhelmed, or even needing to run away and use level features.

But it is super fun and worth it’s own playthrough from time to time. I don’t know that aiming in any game ever felt that good.
Yep, it was made with that Gamecube controller in mind

Original version is still king, even all these years later

Spaceman292

Banned

Agreed. The wii version was sort of fun as a gimmick but the aiming was too fast and precise. It's not meant to be like that.

At this point the best version is whatever has the highest framerate and resolution.

Aggelos

Instead of a Resident Evil, why not a Dino Crisis remake? Taking advantage of the power of Xbox Series X and PS5, the dinosaurs could look more life like than EVER before..

It never garnered enough support. There's no considerable demand out there, to be taken seriously by Capcom Development Division 1. In today's world not so many people remember Dino Crisis to make a strong public outcry over the return of the series.

Even the fan art gathered more likes

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

It never garnered enough support. There's no considerable demand out there, to be taken seriously by Capcom Development Division 1. In today's world not so many people remember Dino Crisis to make a strong public outcry over the return of the series.

Even the fan art gathered more likes

All too rare, though had enough of the zombie games...

dDoc

Cannot but feel that we will be disappointed.

RE4's whole premise/story and some gameplay elements/levels is cheesy by today's standards.

Also Capcom cut corners with shorter games like Re2 and 3, what will they do with RE4 which is a considerably longer game?

In TODAY's standards,

This is shit.

3LohEOc.jpg

This is not.

I mean, seriously, imagine a game releasing today for the PS5 and showing the first screenshot. What do you imagine the comments would be?

Yes, it's shit.
Terrible post. Of course when you run one of the inferior ports (i.e. anything but gamecube and Wii) and increase the resolution it's going to look bad.

That game on a crt or even a modern tv with good upscale still looks good. Has its flaws sure, but that game in its first 30 minutes has more character than any subsequent resident evil game, or any not yet made. Everything about it is classic, including the visuals.

I'll be frank, I don't think they can improve on the original, and I think a remake can only be worse.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
They will ruin the pefection, which was already done with the Wii versions.

Gamers today can't stand games that are designed around certain gameplay elements and instead demand everything be cookie cutter.

So they will get rid of the entire purpose of the game which is not being able to move and shoot and turn it into a run and gun which defeats the entire purpose of the game.

I think having amazing graphics and RT in 4K will look good, but they need to keep the gameplay from the original intact.

dan76

I'm all for the remake, and ideally they will include a legacy control option, can't see why they wouldn't. I'm hoping they keep the core game the same but bring the atmosphere in line with the 2 & 3 remakes. Make it a bit more spooky, but keep the cheese.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Look at me, in the eyes, and tell me with a straight face that if this screenshot was released for a new RE game, people everyone would comment with, 'It's really good'.

No.

Seriously.

Say it.
S
They will ruin the pefection, which was already done with the Wii versions.

Gamers today can't stand games that are designed around certain gameplay elements and instead demand everything be cookie cutter.

So they will get rid of the entire purpose of the game which is not being able to move and shoot and turn it into a run and gun which defeats the entire purpose of the game.

I think having amazing graphics and RT in 4K will look good, but they need to keep the gameplay from the original intact.
Not that I don't agree that they won't be able to recreate the magic the original made, but isn't the Wii version typically considered by most to be the best way to play it? I've played through it on that system myself, and the controls complemented the frantic combat perfectly. I think that was the best RE4 has ever been.

cryptoadam

Banned
S

Not that I don't agree that they won't be able to recreate the magic the original made, but isn't the Wii version typically considered by most to be the best way to play it? I've played through it on that system myself, and the controls complemented the frantic combat perfectly. I think that was the best RE4 has ever been.
I dont remeber the Wii version too much but the key to the gameplay of the game was not moving and shooting. The entire game was built around this control. Removing it just changes everything. Its still a great game otherwise but it loses something.

Reminds me of Dead Rising 1 which was built around the timer but everyone hated i it until the game was destroyed because that gameplay element was removed.

I just think RE 4 was a game of genius design and a remake wont capture that same genius. Its just going to be capcom throwing on a nice coat of paint but not keeping the philsophy that made the game so perfect.

It will still be good because RE 4 is one of the best but it wont capture the magic.

sainraja

I hope they cut out the silly merchant from the game and ground it a little bit to reality (similar to how they tried with Resident Evil 2/3 remakes.)

I dont remeber the Wii version too much but the key to the gameplay of the game was not moving and shooting. The entire game was built around this control. Removing it just changes everything. Its still a great game otherwise but it loses something.

Reminds me of Dead Rising 1 which was built around the timer but everyone hated i it until the game was destroyed because that gameplay element was removed.

I just think RE 4 was a game of genius design and a remake wont capture that same genius. Its just going to be capcom throwing on a nice coat of paint but not keeping the philsophy that made the game so perfect.

It will still be good because RE 4 is one of the best but it wont capture the magic.

Resident Evil 2 & 3 prove that preventing people to from moving and shooting does not take away from the gameplay.

Last edited:

Arachnid

RE4 for Wii also had you not moving while shooting (it was the same game). The only difference was that you aimed at the screen with your Wii remote to shoot, which was a fantastic upgrade from joystick aiming.

cryptoadam

Banned
RE4 for Wii also had you not moving while shooting (it was the same game). The only difference was that you aimed at the screen with your Wii remote to shoot, which was a fantastic upgrade from joystick aiming.

Ok thanks I must have mis remembered.

I think I mixed it up with 5 which had the moving right?

Arachnid

Ok thanks I must have mis remembered.

I think I mixed it up with 5 which had the moving right?
Np man

5 was static shooting too. 6 was where the shooting while moving was introduced (which I agree was awful and felt really sloppy; to its credit though, it felt great in 2make.).

13th

Neo Member
This is something I never expected to be remade in a while. In 2014 we got a "remastered" edition for PC, I don't see a lot of folks being either upset or unsatisfied by it, so why is there a need to remake the game all of the sudden? At the very least don't hide the original game from the Steam store after the remake will be out.

Valentino

This is something I never expected to be remade in a while. In 2014 we got a "remastered" edition for PC, I don't see a lot of folks being either upset or unsatisfied by it, so why is there a need to remake the game all of the sudden? At the very least don't hide the original game from the Steam store after the remake will be out.
Because I wouldn't play that remastered version. Resi5 and Revelations are the only original style/formula games I played years ago, which I really really liked at the time. But now, the gameplay is not enjoyable to me anymore (for me that it is. I'm sure loads people miss the old style)
These remakes have really made me fall in love with the series lore and characters much more, and the graphics and style have immersed me like no other

Top Bottom