• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom is working on a Resident Evil 4 remake

Dark Rider

I was wondering how important RE:CV was to Capcom as part of the RE overall experience. This answered my question. I'm assuming this will not be anywhere near REmake 1 style of a remake so sadly this is not for me. I hope the fans who liked remake 2/3 like it though.

Last edited:

Eliciel

This is one of the very few tasks I would put up there in the ranks of making a GOAT vs. the absolute obliteration of your own created Classic and All-Time-Favorite and actually in parts destroying your own reputation. It is that hard to land this again in the manner they did. It is actually hardly even describable what made it so god damn great, maybe it was just timing.

This is like doing a quadrupple backwards flip with sidewards rotation while aiming at the apple on top of of your kids head -you should be damn serious about hitting that apple my friend. This is a top-notch quality gem that you need to either deliver totally on point (tip of a hair-needle) or sink to the bottom of the ocean and never return from it- A herculean task to say the least that will need the combined effort of all experts RE has seen to date....!
Pretty much UN-doable if not taken with absolute precision, clarity and understanding of the core philosphy behind what made RE:4 so great.

Good luck if true.

Last edited:
Would love a proper remake with better controls and also to see how they can make use of the dual sense controller. Great game, but those last gen controls need to change.

iorek21

That’s a very difficult task, just as hard as a San Andreas remake would be

Capcom has a great responsibility here, will they be able to achieve that?

Press F for Capcom coming up with any new ideas

RE4 is brilliant, doesn't need redone as their have been countless upgrades released what seems like every year.

Larsowitz

Dogs and humans turning into parasites. Burning men at the stake while villagers roam around the map completely void of emotion.

What about the Regenerator?

regenerator.png

He will walk slowly down hallways or follow you around. You have to kill the parasites inside him.

What about the infamous Chainsaw Man? The character follows you with a chainsaw and wears a burlap sack on top his head. What franchise did a man and a chainsaw become famous? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is a horror film.

Let's not forget that you have to press a button and a direction in order to turn around completely. You also can't just freely walk up ladders, push objects, or run and gun. You have to plan out each attack, when to reload, and pace yourself. You aren't running around endlessly shooting. You aren't clearing out enemies by quickly swapping weapons. You're managing your inventory. You have to stop to swing your knife. Which all and all is a lot like the first couple games. This is what we see RE2 and RE3 Remake turn into. If anything, the newer remakes make it more of an action game because Leon had restrictive movements in a lot of different scenarios. RE6 is more action based due to the characters movements and how items were managed. As well as the flow of combat. In RE4, if you wanted to take out a group of enemies.. you had to plan your shot, your ammo, and the distance between you and escaping. You couldn't just wing it and know that the last shot you did is a guaranteed critical shot that downs the enemy.

I agree with that. I still think the restrictive movement (stop to shoot and/or use knife) is one of the best gameplay mechanics in gaming history. In this sense RE4 is at least gameplay wise very close to the original RE games.

JimmyJones

Banned
Time for the RE4 zoomers to feel the pain us classic fans felt!

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

As someone who never played RE franchise before remakes, I tried RE4 recently. Ditched it after 30 minutes at that first village because of how clunky and outdated it felt. I bet tons of people who otherwise wouldn't touch those outdated originals, played RE2 and 3 for the first time because of remakes.

It's not outdated, you just suck at it!

RE4 never clicked with me. It's way too stressful. And I think it's ugly. Interested in the remake, though.

This is why survival horror died.

Last edited:
Okey. It was more than needed (that trash island and Leon stuffs). Code Veronica (i still own my Dreamcast PAL version), Zero and then the 1st one also NEED to be REdone, 5 too but later (i'm not shure 6 can be save).

Is it coming to PS5?

Last edited:
It's not stupid from a business perspective. Not many people remember Code Veronica and the game didn't review that well, a ton of people know Resident Evil 4 and for many of them it's the best RE. Of course reaching that high bar again will be very difficult for Capcom.

Personally I'd love if they returned to the idea of doing a Dino Crisis remake.

Code Veronica reviewed in the 9s back in the day.

Chiggs

Code Veronica is the better target. But that would just be too much work for Capcom, so instead they will half-ass it with RE4, which is one of the greatest games of all time and probably just needs some visual upgrades.

RE3 was a lazy piece of crap.

I never got around to playing RE4 so for me.. I think this would be a good option to try it 😅

Over the years, every time I thought about it, a new port turned up which was supposedly the best way to play it and..

Pansy

Hmm...interesting. RE 4 is considered the pinnacle of the series by many fans, so how are they gonna be able to make it better than what the original already accomplished? I hope this doesn't turn into what happened with the RE 3 remake.

Paracelsus

RE4 in first person would be bad, spinning kicks and german suplexes don't work.
A smart person would do RE4 the right way: RE2x2make

They even shoehorned las plagas in RE3 with the Ne-Alpha so they're ready for it.

As long as it's in third person and it has zombies.

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
i saw someone somewhere theorize that whoever leaked this only saw some random video footage and stills of RE8 but didn’t know it was for and just assumed that because they saw a village and castle that it was an RE4 Remake, when it really was all only made for RE8.

It seems possible, especially because RE4 on ps4 still looks and plays pretty well, and while a full remake could add some graphical fidelity, it really would be hard to make the gameplay distinctly improved enough warrant a full remake (unlike in Remake 1 or Remake 2’s case)

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I don't think that Code Veronica will be remade. Mostly due to the fact that certain antagonists will definitely ruffle some feathers in the lgbt community.

Now I know we're talking about Japan, a country where fewer fucks are given in those matters, but they still monitor the western market, and the last thing they want is to reintroduce a character who basically screams, 'all crossdressers are fucking psychos' in their eyes.

Bad for Capcom's image, you know?

sublimit

Banned
Personally i feel they are kinda burning the brand's name with all these remakes and annual releases.

I also feel they are dilluting the image of the series IMO by continuing with the First Person camera and using themes that are alien from the series like taking inspiration from games like Outlast and PT or movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hostel (for REVII) or witches,werewolves and ghosts (for REVIII.)
The elements they add from the older games like the usage of iconic items or iconic characters feel more as if they are tacked on in order to try to convince us that they are still RE games rather than really need to be there (REVII).

Reactions: RSB

Cravis

They just need to redo the textures in HD like what the Gaffer was doing with the PC version. Gameplay was perfect.

johntown

Banned
Even is Capcom messes this up at least PC users still have the HD Project which is really good enough for me. Hope they do it good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope they put more effort into it. I like RE2/3. A part of me hopes they don’t cut it up and make it a shorter, watered down version with better graphics. The game still holds up to this day, so I wonder what this whole thing is even about.

We've already seen so many ports of the same game over the years, that a new take on it might be refreshing for a change. I'm not against a genuine remake.

dDoc

I adored Re2remake.

I also enjoyed r3mak3 even though they cut content and the controls were awful. What were they thinking? It's like they tried to aid players whilst controlling Jill but it comes out as more of a hindrance. And the half assisted inventory! Cmon Capcom give your players the benefit of the doubt that they can play a videogame.

So have my doubts about RE4remake. After 2 I was ready for more remakes, now not so enthusiastic tbh.

Soodanim

Make it so you can move and shoot
Think of RE3make. Think of how you already got Plagas in the form of Ne-T parasites. Think of how you already did a cabin fight.

Palette swap RC for Spain and you have RE4. They're not going to change much about the foundation aside from adding melee. Then they'll get to work taking away things that we love, like the Merchant. There will be a reference to him and that will be it.

ExpandKong

Banned
Every game since re7 has been thoroughly enjoyable for me and Capcom seems to be on a roll.

Bring on both RE8 and RE4make.

I just don’t see RE4 getting better than it already is. I also worry they’d remove the best part of the game, Inventory Management Tetris.

Arachnid

I just don’t see RE4 getting better than it already is. I also worry they’d remove the best part of the game, Inventory Management Tetris.
Have you seen the inventory in RE8? It's straight out of RE4. All they'd have to do is transfer that over.

thelastword

Banned
They have to release a HD Remastered version for Product Number 03 first....
I doubt it very much, P.N.03 is not nearly as popular or demanded as the RE titles. But if they do remaster/remake it, that would be swell....

Something tells me that due to the nowadays society, they would have to rework the story to avoid the big twist the game has...

Edit: Lol, didn't notice Nickolaidas comment. Yeap.
Funny how times have changed. Developers could have done anything in their games before and told any story, Now everything is scrutinized so heavily. I can imagine how the pitchfork crowd has created a huge damper on developers everywhere.... I remember when if you didn't like a game you just didn't buy it. Yet people are hating games not only because they don't like the gameplay, but because of the story, how the character looks, based on who the lead dev is.....It's sad when they are pushing that devs have less of their own creativity and vision in their own titles...

In any case, it's why I always liked remasters, especially remakes, We can relive some of these older titles again with a graphical overhaul and at 60fps.

E.T. Waifu

I don't think that Code Veronica will be remade. Mostly due to the fact that certain antagonists will definitely ruffle some feathers in the lgbt community.

Now I know we're talking about Japan, a country where fewer fucks are given in those matters, but they still monitor the western market, and the last thing they want is to reintroduce a character who basically screams, 'all crossdressers are fucking psychos' in their eyes.

Bad for Capcom's image, you know?
I get it but they're professionals, for fuck's sake. There's no way they can't come up with a more complex character and less of a clown.

Top Bottom