• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom is seeing a sharp increase in sales on Steam

Juza

https://automaton-media.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/20220630-208715-header-1068x601.jpg

It looks like Capcom’s proactive approach to PC gaming has been paying off with the company seeing a dramatic increase in sales on Steam, as reported by gamebiz.

During the company’s last fiscal year which ended in March of 2022, Capcom saw sales via Steam increase by 62.5% over the previous year to a tune of 17.2 billion yen (roughly $126 million). This accounted for 15.6% of the company’s overall sales.

In recent years, Capcom has been very active in putting their games on PC (Steam), starting with new and old titles in the Resident Evil series, along with other popular IP like Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, and Street Fighter. The games have gone on to receive high player counts and generally favorable user reviews on the platform. According to Capcom financial briefing materials (PDF link), the company has 353 titles selling in 237 countries and regions which are contributing to stable earnings.

The company is currently developing new titles like Exoprimal, Resident Evil 4 Remake, and Street Fighter 6. They are also just about to release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak. In addition to the console versions of these games, they are also scheduled to release on Steam. It’s not rare to see Japanese developers release games on PC these days, but Capcom’s approach to the PC market has certainly stood out.

via https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20220630-13662/

KàIRóS

That's what happens when a company stops including locked DLC in-game and instead goes on and says "We've been doing so good lately that we're going to give our employees a raise and we might even revive some old IPs"

Last edited:
That's what happens when a company stops including locked DLC in discs and instead goes on and says "We've been doing so good lately that we're going to give our employees a raise and we might even revive some old IPs"
Great point.

I think the "on-disc DLC" shenanigans of Street Fighter x Tekken was Capcom at its absolute lowest. Both creatively, and businesswise.

Glad they learned from those dark days and bounced back with quality content, and more consumer-friendly practices (such as putting their games absolutely everywhere they can).

Last edited:

GymWolf

And the cunts are still gonna release mhw2 on pc one year after the console version for the double dippers anyway.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sad thing is that they still do the console first PC later shit. With monster hunter. I really hope they don't pull that shit off with dragons dogma.
When was the last time they did that? I thought their latests releases were all coming out the same day on consoles and PCs.

Latest MH entries might be the exception, but those had exclusivity deals, right?

Reizo Ryuu

When was the last time they did that? I thought their latests releases were all coming out the same day on consoles and PCs.

Latest MH entries might be the exception, but those had exclusivity deals, right?
No the excuse was that the mh team wasn't as familiar with PC as the other internal teams that adopted the PC first philosophy all the way back in 2005.
But even that seems to be over now that Sunbreak released same day on pc and console.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
No the excuse was that the mh team wasn't as familiar with PC as the other internal teams that adopted the PC first philosophy all the way back in 2005.
But even that seems to be over now that Sunbreak released same day on pc and console.
Good to know! Thanks bro, hopefully this means we'll get Dragon's Dogma 2 day 1 on PC.

It's good to see a strong Capcom, now we just need a Devil May Cry VI announcement from them.
Hey hey, wait for your turn DMC bro, it's DD's turn.

Holammer

Not a surprise, Capcom, FROM and Sega are some of the Japanese companies with the finger on the pulse when it comes to making product that appeals to western audiences.
SquareEnix will get there eventually.

SeraphJan

Nobody knows since Valve is a private company. Steam allegedly has 132m MAUs, which means it's slightly bigger than PS and Xbox (seperately).
That's good to heard, I'm glad PC gaming is growing exponentially compare to the past

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I think Capcom support for the PC is overall good, with some missteps along the way.
Most of their ports worked great in my experience, the outliers that come to mind was Resident Village that had that horrible stutters when fighting some bosses and now the RT patch for the Res games that tank performance, although my PC just brute force through it, and I'm finding a nice bump in quality, even loosing almost 40% of performance, I still get by with mostly 60 with some drops that VRR takes care of.

All it takes is keep your head out of your own arses. Treat PC gamers like real customers, profit. You wonder how it took so long for some of these companies to get it. But it's finally happening.

yamaci17

"aLeX" from DF can critique Capcom PC ports for all he wants

he is unable to see fully fledged taa destroying precious and valuable texture detail and valuable subpixel details to destroy "flickering" and "shimmering". he refuses to understand that majority of PC players are playing on a monitor, where we can see all details up close, whereas most console users are playing on a TV where they won't notice much of the subpixel details. Capcom has a perfect approach, using only 1 frame of temporal anti aliasing, so that the image can be clear and sharp on a monitor. It can be all blurry on a TV, its not going to matter for console folk

take a good look. half of this video is about bitching about how taa works bad on pc and how shimmery and flickery it is.

mxYah4k.png

HfWytfu.png

their ports are fine. they knowingly tweak and tune TAA so that their games look clear, clean and sharp on a monitor. Alex fails to understand this. every PC port review of their video is ramblings about taa not being so aggresive.

he's delusional to a point where he uses GHOSTING, a bad side effect, as a way to gauge and determine that PC TAA differs from console TAA:

look at his cringe graphics:

ND5hZgs.png
9HcHYPs.png

here him, fully admits in full glory that "moAr GhOSTing" is a telltale sign for a better TAA. How joyful. but lets completely DISREGARD the phenomenon of ghosting itself for convenience.

Imagine if these Japanese based companies started releasing games on Steam 10 years ago.
Japan has a very poorly developed PC gaming scene. it is much better now, but ten years ago most Japanese people don't have even decent PCs for home use.
And even now, phone gaming still takes priority there. The phone culture was what stifled the PC usage in that country.

I WANT more JP games coming to PC. It's just that I have been waiting a long time now and have low expectations.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine if these Japanese based companies started releasing games on Steam 10 years ago.
So true.

But Japanese game companies have roots in classic arcade gaming and console. Combined with their regional relationships (Japan), and it's easy to see why they'd skew to console gaming.

But looks like they finally realized walled garden gaming has limited potential. Like many gamers and companies, they probably think a platform like PC (open concept with Steam being the main e-store) leads to piracy and wild west unstructured gamers and sales as there's no Nintendo, Sony, MS to control an audience in a closed box and OS.

Great point.

I think the "on-disc DLC" shenanigans of Street Fighter x Tekken was Capcom at its absolute lowest. Both creatively, and businesswise.

Glad they learned from those dark days and bounced back with quality content, and more consumer-friendly practices (such as putting their games absolutely everywhere they can).
The westernization (Bionic Commando, Dark Void, DMC Devil May Cry, Lost Planet 3, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil 6 almost killing the mainline franchise) of their games and locking substantial content behind "keys" of content already in the games (Dragon's Dogma BitterBlack Isle was locked content inside the game files when it launched; Asura's Wrath true ending was locked behind a pay-wall day 1 as well) was their lowest indeed.

Top Bottom