• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom has overhauled its plans for a Resident Evil 4 remake

Astorian

Capcom’s in-development Resident Evil 4 remake has seen a major change of leadership due to disagreements over its direction, according to people with knowledge of the project.

New studio M-Two has seen its role significantly reduced on the unannounced project, the sources told VGC, and mainline Resident Evil studio Capcom Division 1 has been brought in to lead a new direction.

The company contributed to the development of 2020’s RE3 remake, with Minami taking on an executive producer role, but the start-up’s main purpose was always to lead the next, bigger remake, Resident Evil 4.

However, multiple sources have indicated that, following a key project review late last year, it was decided that M-Two’s role on RE4’s remake would be significantly reduced. Capcom’s Division 1 – the internal team responsible for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games – has now been brought in to lead the RE4 project, VGC understands.

It’s believed that the disagreements that led to M-Two’s reduced role involved the studio’s desire to stick faithfully to the template of the original Resident Evil 4, partly influenced by backlash to Resident Evil 3’s remake, which did not include significant portions of the original Playstation game, much to fans’ disappointment.

4uvdij.jpg

getting good use out of this meme today

Hugare

why not just hire the skunk mod team that's been working on it for like 7 years

you ain't gonna top their efforts
Apples and oranges

RE 4 HD project is a remaster that uses the same engine. RE 4 for Capcom will be a remake using RE engine.

The "mod team" from the HD project are two people

Capcom putting a start-up to develop the remake for one of the most beloved games of all time is laughable

M-Two did a decent job with RE 3, but they were able to reuse tons of assets, locations and enemies from RE 2.

RE 4 is a different beast entirely. Capcom wont be able to remake RE 4 "on a budget".

Put some work on it, ffs

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's Yoshiaki Hirabayashi team doing?
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F08%2Fre2_remake_announce.jpg

He wasn't involved in RE3Remake, that was Fabiano Masachika (RE7/8)

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

johntown

Banned
If true I find it concerning it seems to imply that they don't want to stick to the original template. Trying to change that game IMO would be a mistake. Import the same into a new engine and possibly adjust camera and a few minor things should be all that is done.

They should be able to see this clearly from the success of RE2 Remake vs RE3 Remake.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think they should remake it and make it more action-y, which is the spirit of the original game in the context / time-period it was released. Wii version is my favorite because of the arcade shooting. Make the remake equally run n gun if not moreso while removing the unnecessary clunky aspects.

Tesseract

Banned
Apples and oranges

RE 4 HD project is a remaster that uses the same engine. RE 4 for Capcom will be a remake using RE engine.

The "mod team" from the HD project are two people

Capcom putting a start-up to develop the remake for one of the most beloved games of all time is laughable

M-Two did a decent job with RE 3, but they were able to reuse tons of assets, locations and enemies from RE 2.

RE 4 is a different beast entirely. Capcom wont be able to remake RE 4 "on a budget".

Put some work on it, ffs
aware of the differences between makes and masters

still say that team would be a better jumping point, adherent to the source from the gate

not opposed to significant work from talented cabals but there's also something to be said for smaller strike teams that work themselves to the bone

Banned
aware of the differences between makes and masters

still say that team would be a better jumping point, adherent to the source from the gate

not opposed to significant work from talented cabals but there's also something to be said for smaller strike teams that work themselves to the bone

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all they're doing replacing textures with higher res textures?
that's hardly comparable or suggests that they are fit to work on a remake.

sublimit

Banned
However, multiple sources have indicated that, following a key project review late last year, it was decided that M-Two’s role on RE4’s remake would be significantly reduced. Capcom’s Division 1 – the internal team responsible for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games – has now been brought in to lead the RE4 project, VGC understands.

Wait what? Isn't that Itsuno's team? I thought it was a different team from those who make RE games.

I really hope this stupid remake hasn't affected Dragon's Dogma 2 development because otherwise i'm gonna be really pissed!! :messenger_pouting:

Tesseract

Banned
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all they're doing replacing textures with higher res textures?
that's hardly comparable or suggests that they are fit to work on a remake.
right, they'd need assistance

few programmers from cap, whoever is available within the scene

Last edited:

SuperGooey

It just seems like just a waste of time and resources to remake a game that is still nearly perfect and holds up so well 15 years later.

Meanwhile, Code: Veronica could really use a remake! I'd be far more interested to see how they reimagine that game, especially since it's such an important game to the overall lore of the series (establishing Wesker as the series villain, Claire and Chris's reunion).

TonyK

It's amazing how, first, you can spread a rumour about a (insert game name here) remake and later, when it seems that rumour was false because there are no official news about it, spread another rumour about why they have cancelled the project.

SuperGooey

It's amazing how, first, you can spread a rumour about a (insert game name here) remake and later, when it seems that rumour was false because there are no official news about it, spread another rumour about why they have cancelled the project.
The Capcom leaks confirmed that RE4 Remake is indeed a thing.

GreenAlien

Good, If M-Two thought the problem with RE3R was "not sticking faithfully to the template of the original", then I'm glad Capcom reduced their influence.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
It needs to be a faithful remake. There shouldn't be disagreements over direction when you have the blueprint. RE2 had a lot of dog shit changes that didn't enhance the game. It's a pale imitation of RE298. Learn the lessons.

Last edited:

Belmonte

RE4 is such a hard game to change anything. To do it properly, it needs to be a class A remake, like Resident Evil Rebirth.

The game is almost perfect. Changing anything is very delicate.

I didn't like RE4 as a Resident Evil title, too much action. But as a TPS action game, it is one of the best ever. Probably the best ever.

Pick the phone and call Shinji Mikami again, Capcom! Just to be sure.

Kokoloko85

Didnt remake 3 team acknowledge they made a mistake and shouldnt have left out so much for RE3?

I think RE4 should have less enemies than original RE4, make it more survival horror. Keep the path the same but try and make something a bit different otherwise whats the point of a remake, RE4 doesnt need a remake like RE 2 and 3 did.

Last edited:
This game don't need a remake!
Do a re outbreak 3!
Maybe not gameplay wise, but it looks like a trash compactor in this day and age. Although I'd rather them change the formula a bit while keeping the spirit of the game there, the same gameplay with a major face lift and incredible animations isn't going to hurt anyone.

Especially Capcom's pockets.

Soodanim

If this is true:

Then Capcom want to fuck with 4, and good luck to them. They're going to need it if they start fucking with the game, because that will inevitably mean taking away elements that made 4 good in the first place. Sounds like M-Two learned their lesson, but Capcom clearly haven't. RE:verse is a weird project when all they should really be remaking is Outbreak. They could even throw Versus mode into that game as well as keep it going for years with DLC scenarios, but I'm doubtful at this point.

There is obviously someone at Capcom who thinks he can rewrite the original games better than they were with a new canon, but the only remake that has been better is REmake, and that was because it stayed faithful. 2R doesn't replace 2, and 3R definitely doesn't replace 3.

I don't know why you're getting laugh reactions. It's literally two people who have more than proved themselves, already.
I'm less hesitant to give those two people money than Capcom for 4.

Neff

1. Nobody actually wants a RE4 remake.
2. M-Two's work on RE3 2020 was excellent, they just obviously didn't have enough time and money to do the original justice, which is fair enough for a first project.

Patrick S.

Banned
I don't know why you're getting laugh reactions. It's literally two people who have more than proved themselves, already.
The effort by alberthd is awesome, of course, but I don't think you can compare a hd texture pack to a whole new game. A game is much more than high res textures...

dDoc

Whilst I enjoyed Remake3 I acknowledge the wasted opportunity and it killed the hype I had after playing remake2.

The city could have been so much better fleshed out. Hospital area too small could have been sooo much more.

Have serious doubts Capcom can pull off a great Remake4. Original is campy AF even the plot is pure ridiculousness lol. Did enjoy it back in the day though.

Why not create a new well fleshed out game based during the Raccoon City outbreak with today's tech? Could even introduce new characters. If done well should sell gangbusters.

Astral Dog

Code Veronica needs more a REmake than RE4 imo, the setting alone is fantastic:ancient catacombs, the artic, the doll house, a mansion, mad doctor lair,Wesker, young Chris and Claire and the music is amazing. Would easily make one of the best Resident Evil games done well 🧟‍♂️ obviously some elements would need to be reworked but the RE2 team i would trust them.

However remaking RE4 is quite a task, i can't imagine what route they will even take and it seems to have a few problems already 🤷‍♂️ i just hope one day they reconsider remaking CV

Dr_Salt

I wonder if people who are shitting on M2 understand that everything they did had to be approved by the higher ups at Capcom. They knew exactly what was going on.

Also if this is true and division1 are planning all these "changes" then it means we might get cut content again. Idk how anyone can see this as a positive.

sainraja

If true I find it concerning it seems to imply that they don't want to stick to the original template. Trying to change that game IMO would be a mistake. Import the same into a new engine and possibly adjust camera and a few minor things should be all that is done.

They should be able to see this clearly from the success of RE2 Remake vs RE3 Remake.

They need to change it up a little bit. I don't want the merchant back nor do I want money drops from enemies. It needs to be closer to the older RE games with the RE4 setting and story.

sainraja

If this rumor is true, sounds like it will be shit.

RE3make wasn't a great effort.
The developers no longer involved were the ones behind RE3make but it was a good game (just lacking some areas that they shouldn't have removed.)

1. Speak for yourself.
2. RE3make was mediocre. The short length was the least of its problems.
Resident Evil 3 remake was good. The length was its main problem. Also they cut alot of the Zombies AI and Physics because of limited time and budget.
Generally, both remakes nailed the 90s atmosphere. I hope capcom continues making RE games in remakes style.

Top Bottom