• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announced Capcom Fighting Collection and Street Fighter 6

Also I believe they went after the realistic looks due to Mortal Kombat. Mass market just want that graphics fidelity.

But it looks closer to Tekken than Mortal Kombat IMO. And in either case, SF obviously has its own differing features (exaggerated forearms, hand & feet size, etc.).

I just hope it avoids getting TOO gritty; SF has always struck me as more DBZ or YuYu Hakusho levels of grit, not Attack on Titan level. If you get what I mean.

sn0man

I've always been a sucker for compilations. It suits my game hoarding nature.
Arcade releases with multiplayer in a compilation always gets me. Consoles to me now are for exclusives and local multiplayer.

(Off topic: SEGA really need to do a VF compilation with some arcade perfect emulation.)

sn0man

Super Turbo HD > Ultra > Super Turbo

HD Remix has by far the best balancing and gameplay... even Ultra was a huge step back due to all the Super Turbo fanboys wanting their overrated unbalanced game back -_-
I’m a filthy casual but I loved hearing about all the gentle changes in HDRemix. Such a fun product they made.

Dr Bass

More like Karl Urban from the movie Dread.
You sure?

Mission-Impossible-Henry-Cavill-Return-Fallout-Death-SR.jpg

FMGOnWEWYAI2B4y

fallingdove

Still, no re-release of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix :(
Please no. Shit was trash. Udon’s art style is awful and the fact they didn’t re-animate the characters as part of their workflow created some major jank.

(Yeah, I know you can turn off the redrawn art but then what is the point of HD remix? I can play an upscaled Super Street Fighter II Turbo a half dozen other ways)

Last edited:

ChazAshley

I know. But in reality why cant they?
Im probably missing something but teams are bigger and tech is better. People still love 2D sprites in indie games and they like 2D looking games like Dragon Ball and Blaze Blue etc. They dont look 3D.
People still play 2D mechanics and simple looking games like Donkey Kong tropical freeze etc. Im pretty sure people would buy a 2D Street Fighter, especially a Alpha Side game.
As someone who desperately wants another alpha style SF - I bet a huge component of it is the fact that they can make tons of money off of DLC skins. 2d sprites don't have that flexibility unfortunately (of course unless they went Strive/DBZF style which I'm sure you're talking about)

With that said, there's something super special about sprites in motion that 3d models really do miss out on.

Perhaps capcom can sell NFTs of some of the sprite cells and make money off of that somehow.

Kaleinc

Logo is primitive modern win10, 11 inspired theme.
Using those garbage OSs - won't bat an eye how bad UI is, SF logo - all hell breaks loose.

Banned
That's.... An opinion.

A bad one, but still an opinion 😂

I was willing to engage until this nonsense. Maturity doesn't seem like your strong suit.

ghosts side GIF

HD Remix is superior, no other SF2 version even comes close in mechanics and balance. and they reverted ALL of it for Ultra because fanboys kept whining that they want their unbalanced shit back.

Fax GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

paolo11

So this comes out next year eh?

When SFv was revealed 2014, we got a gameplay and news for beta. For this one. We need to wait for summer. There is a chance it may be 2024 but high chance of 2023 because of CPT

yurinka

Just some though, Yuzuke Hashimoto that was at Platinium games so now is with Capcom and works on SF6, rencently we've heard weird things from Platinium like they're financically struggling, guess this tie together, Yuzuke could be not the only dev that left Platinium.
Yes, Hashimoto confirmed that will be one of the game designers of SF6. Platinum can't be financially struggling because they sold a lot from Nier, got investment from Tencent, have Nintendo and Square paying them two big developments (so their costs are covered) and they are working in self published games.

So this comes out next year eh?

When SFv was revealed 2014, we got a gameplay and news for beta. For this one. We need to wait for summer. There is a chance it may be 2024 but high chance of 2023 because of CPT
Two years ago, before the covid lockdowns, Capcom had SF6 schedued to be released Oct-Dec 2022 according to a leaked internal document. Pretty likely with covid it has been delayed some months, but I don't think there is any reason to think it could be a 2024 game.

Last edited:

yurinka

Still, no re-release of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix :(
Super Turbo HD > Ultra > Super Turbo

HD Remix has by far the best balancing and gameplay... even Ultra was a huge step back due to all the Super Turbo fanboys wanting their overrated unbalanced game back -_-
At least here in Europe there is a relatively big Super Turbo active fanbase. They play the original Super Turbo game, not the ugly Remix.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get why they put Luke in that trailer. Sagat, Alex, Bison and Akuma are all 120% better rivals to Ryu than Luke. Luke is like a silly Steve Fox from Tekken. At least Steve Fox has more charisma to his character and is a believable entry. He has earned his spot since Tekken 4. Luke is like DLC #?? to the game that just wouldn’t end. He didn’t feel like an important character whatsoever.

I don’t understand why Street Fighter went in this direction. Capcom could hire better people to develop the next entry. I don’t expect sales of this game to be that high. Why do I feel like any thought to this is completely ignored?

Capcom makes some super odd decisions.

Javthusiast

Banned
Wanna bet they will censor Cammys initial costume?

No way with RE engines more realistic visuals and muscles definitions will they showcase her butt in all it's glory and new bootysweat tech.

kyoji

I just don't see why Capcom would go PS only again when the launch of SF5 was a disaster. They need this on as many devices as possible, especially with it being laden with microtransactions.
This makes absolutely no sense, SF V is the most complete last gen fighting game on the market next to tekken 7. There has been strong consistent support for the game via balance patches, stages, costumes, and new characters for the game since 2016. While i agree that the game was barebones for the first several months strictly from its game modes (or lack thereof) made available at launch, it had nothing to do with sonys involvement or the game being “exclusive”, and adding more platforms to the equation wouldn’t have resolved that issue then and it wont going forward.

In fact sf v is capcom’s most successful sf game to date… only behind sf turbo (ive posted the capcom sf graph multiple times in other threads) so your statement is very strange, but do carry on and wait for EVO 22’ to have your wishful thinking disappointed. There has been a fair amount of writing on the wall for sometime now about what platforms SF 6 will be available on and i do understand there was a ‘leak’ but weve seen how leaks have turned out in the past. I guess anything is possible in todays climate at this point but id just say theres significantly much slimmer chance of this being on xbox or switch. The only guarantees are PC/PS5.

Last edited:

SSfox

In any case SF6 or any Capcom game should never be a Playstation exclusive ever again, modern Sony don't deserve it specially after they censored DMC5. And honestly if Sony would censor a Capcom game again, if I was Capcom i would simply stop releasing my games on Playstation consoles. I don't think Sony is that brainless but since Jimbo and Hermen took the lead idk for sure tbh.

For SF6 hopefully it will have crossplay with all platforms having same input lag of course.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's a new Street Fighter so yes, it's a AAA game. Like SFIV and SFV or other Capcom AAA games will be a coproduction of Capcom and over 20 studios, being Dimps the main one.

In fact sf v is capcom’s most successful sf game to date… only behind sf turbo (ive posted the capcom sf graph multiple times in other threads)
The best selling Capcom fighting game isn't turbo, it's SF2 The World Warrior for SNES with 6.3M units, followed by SFV with 6.1M. SFV must have sold a shit ton of DLC, mtx and season passes, I'm pretty sure that SFV must have generated more revenue from addons than from game sales. I also think that the SFV series must have generated more revenue than the SF2 (home adaptations, not including arcade), SFA, SF3, SFEX or SFIV series where combining all their skus/sequels/etc.

There has been a fair amount of writing on the wall for sometime now about what platforms SF 6 will be available on and i do understand there was a ‘leak’ but weve seen how leaks have turned out in the past. I guess anything is possible in todays climate at this point but id just say theres significantly much slimmer chance of this being on xbox or switch. The only guarantees are PC/PS5.
The only reliable leak we have regarding SF6 are the stolen files and documents shared by the ransomware hackers. Two of them were emails with art outsourcing companies who already worked with Capcom in previous games like SFV, where SF6 was listed as a PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series and PC games.

In the mail there were a handful of names mentioned of the people who had to overview and approve the outsourced stuff. I remember one of them was a Capcom concept artist, and other one was Kazuhiro Tsuchiya, the Mega Man 11 producer.

Well, now after almost 2 years later, after the SF6 announcement Tsuchiya updated his Twitter bio to say he's in charge of Mega Man and (replacing Yoshinori Ono in this role) Street Fighter franchises. Ono was in charge of the series and also was an executive producer of the game, not the director (Nakayama) or producer (Sugiyama).

capcomleak-mail5.png

En-ZNuzn-WEAAEwks.png

This is part of the provided material, I assume the one in the left is a reference photo and the one in the right the provided 3D model
sf6hack-assets.jpg

The other SF6 related bit was the Capcom schedule document, which as I remember was stolen early 2020, so pretty likely was older. It listed SF6 with a scheduled release date of the October-December 2022 quarter. Considering covid, very likely it has been delayed as happened with Pragmata and several other games planned back then for 2022 like Dragon's Dogma 2 or Resident Evil Outrage -or maybe RE Outreach- (mistranslated by the hacker as Resident Evil Outbreak).

In this same document appeared 'indies 2' project for this summer, which is the capcom fighting games arcade collection, since 'indies 1' was the previous arcade collection.

capcom-schedule.jpg

Yoshinori Ono hinted many years ago that they had planned to release SF6 around this period (same time between SFV and SF6 releases than the one between SF4 and SFV, which would mean around February 2023) or that they wanted to see published the first next gen games to see what next gen could add to fighting games and design the next SF around it (meaning full production starting slightly after PS5 release, so compatible with a late 2022 or early 2023 release for a fighting game).

Ono also said that SFV became exclusive because back then they needed the Sony money, which isn't the case anymore. So pretty likely will be multiplatform as this leak said, will be released pretty likely late 2022 or early 2023 and everything included in the Duskgollem SF6 rumor were lies. Seems that the game was always planned for a late 2022/early 2023 release and as multiplatform.

Last edited:
In any case SF6 or any Capcom game should never be a Playstation exclusive ever again, modern Sony don't deserve it specially after they censored DMC5. And honestly if Sony would censor a Capcom game again, if I was Capcom i would simply stop releasing my games on Playstation consoles. I don't think Sony is that brainless but since Jimbo and Hermen took the lead idk for sure tbh.

For SF6 hopefully it will have crossplay with all platforms having same input lag of course.
I'm honestly not sure what other option Capcom had in the situation regarding SFV. They may have had a few other places that would have helped, but Sony seemed way to good and convenient of an opportunity to pass up. Would the game have even come out without them ?

SSfox

I'm honestly not sure what other option Capcom had in the situation regarding SFV. They may have had a few other places that would have helped, but Sony seemed way to good and convenient of an opportunity to pass up. Would the game have even come out without them ?

Yeah with SFV Capcom was on though situation and needed some financial help and support, i think the weak sales of SF x Tekken had something to do with it for the most part.

There were also rumours there was an actual build for SFV running on Xbox One but MS didn't want crossplay for SFV and one of the reason that pushed Capcom to go PS4/PC.

Last edited:

yurinka

There were also rumours there was an actual build for SFV running on Xbox One but MS didn't want crossplay for SFV and one of the reason that pushed Capcom to go PS4/PC.
According to Capcom they didn't have enough budget to release it in 2016 as they originally planned, so without the Sony money they would have needed to delay a couple of years the development and release of the game to save money for it.

In adddition to give them the money they needed for the game, Sony gave Capcom an additional $500K for SFV eSports prizes (later they have them even more money for that) and also funded and published the USFIV PS4 port.

In exchange for it, SFV series would remain PS exclusive forever and USFIV wouldn't be ported for the other consoles of the PS4 generation (but the 360 version can be played on XBO via BC). So for this reason the Xbox version of SFV never existed and this decision was taken before its development started.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Nice, reminds me of this:

0YHPtTs.gif

Early gameplay is the shit. Because we will not be seeing it until release and then it will be changed.

yurinka

Nice, reminds me of this:

0YHPtTs.gif

Early gameplay is the shit. Because we will not be seeing it until release and then it will be changed.
The different SFIV, SFV and SFxTekken games had cinematics and CGs that looked very different than the gameplay. SF6 gameplay pretty likely will look different than what we saw in the teaser.

Considering that SF6 will release late this year or early next year I'd assume that in EVO we'll see gameplay with prettty much the final look. They may even publish a beta just after EVO.

I honestly thought Ryu was The Hulk.

At this point, Street Fighter is Street Fighter. I highly doubt they’re going to reinvent the wheel with this one, as much as I’d like that.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hyped for the fighting collection. Just wish Capcom would also release a Marvel collection. MvC2 is one of my favourite fighting games of all time.

Oh, and although not a fighting game, I REALLY want AvP arcade game ported to consoles. Please, Capcom!

KVTnM26.jpg

Ryu has resorted to the juice in his old age.
I honestly think they made him look like the Incredible Hulk mostly to appeal to the West. Literally everything now is made to for the West and they generally love their male characters big with huge muscles. I’m scared to see what Zangief will look like lol. I do wonder what the females will look like now.

When I saw that model of Ryu, I immediately thought of Ryo Sakazaki from KOF15.

That dude must of been juicing or something and his shoulders in game are as wide, if not more than Ryu’s.

7669bca4a48be26bf75040a336c7db47.png

Last edited:
According to Capcom they didn't have enough budget to release it in 2016 as they originally planned, so without the Sony money they would have needed to delay a couple of years the development and release of the game to save money for it.

In addition to give them the money they needed for the game, Sony gave Capcom an additional $500K for SFV eSports prizes (later they have them even more money for that) and also funded and published the USFIV PS4 port.

In exchange for it, SFV series would remain PS exclusive forever and USFIV wouldn't be ported for the other consoles of the PS4 generation (but the 360 version can be played on XBO via BC). So for this reason the Xbox version of SFV never existed and this decision was taken before its development started.
Is it wrong to think it may have been a disaster in the long run if it was exclusive to Xbox? Street Fighter is very much a global product, but clearly rooted in Japan, where MS just can't find a way to be taken seriously.

yurinka

Is it wrong to think it may have been a disaster in the long run if it was exclusive to Xbox? Street Fighter is very much a global product, but clearly rooted in Japan, where MS just can't find a way to be taken seriously.
It isn't wrong, it may have been a disaster because the XBO userbase is way smaller than the PS4 one. Not only in Japan, but worldwide.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

KVTnM26.jpg

Ryu has resorted to the juice in his old age.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. You would think that a fighter with a base in karate would target leaner muscle mass, his reaction time must be pathetic. I shudder to think what Chun Li's hips are going to look like.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
This makes absolutely no sense, SF V is the most complete last gen fighting game on the market next to tekken 7. There has been strong consistent support for the game via balance patches, stages, costumes, and new characters for the game since 2016. While i agree that the game was barebones for the first several months strictly from its game modes (or lack thereof) made available at launch, it had nothing to do with sonys involvement or the game being “exclusive”, and adding more platforms to the equation wouldn’t have resolved that issue then and it wont going forward.

In fact sf v is capcom’s most successful sf game to date… only behind sf turbo (ive posted the capcom sf graph multiple times in other threads) so your statement is very strange, but do carry on and wait for EVO 22’ to have your wishful thinking disappointed. There has been a fair amount of writing on the wall for sometime now about what platforms SF 6 will be available on and i do understand there was a ‘leak’ but weve seen how leaks have turned out in the past. I guess anything is possible in todays climate at this point but id just say theres significantly much slimmer chance of this being on xbox or switch. The only guarantees are PC/PS5.
SF5 got there eventually, but the launch was an absolute disaster. Very few features in the game and Capcom was trying to get $60 from it. You could see how big of a disaster it was when it dropped to $10 a month and a half after release. Yes, Capcom continued to support it for years and it did eventually become a success, but it took a looooooooong time to get there.

And that success was predicated on all the microtransactions sold in the game. So why would Capcom limit themselves with Street Fighter 6 by releasing it on only one console? They won't. Since SF has become loaded with microtransactions they want to make it available to as many people as possible. Hell, it might even eventually release on Switch (remember SF4 on 3ds?).

And again, if this was PS/PC only Sony would have their own trailer, like they've done with every PS exclusive game. The fact that Capcom did not show platforms is very telling. It's most likely going to be Xbox Series/Xbox One/PS5/PS4/PC with outside chance for Switch.

Top Bottom