• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Accused of Plagiarism by a Film Director in RE8

Ok but for people saying, the director just wants more attention to himself...i mean this is almost 1:1 design. Its not like the rotors were on top of his head, or the back, or it was his arm made of propeller rotors...its literally the same thing. Its like having a yellow ninja that spits fire, throws a harpoon out of his hand but he has Dr. Martin boots instead of ninja shoes and say noooo this is not at all liek Scorpion from MK. This is totally our own take.

Games have been ripping off movies since the 80s. Consider yourself a part of the club now Mr. Raaphorst.
Facts.

dk.jpg

Not saying that it's right, and credit (and applicable royalties, per law) should be considered, but your statement is still true.

King Kong was created in the 1930's. Donkey Kong came out 50 years later. By that time, giant apes that kidnap women were part of pop culture. It can hardly be called plagiarism at that point. This case is a bit different. I don't know if the creator deserves credit in-game or compensation though.

King Kong was created in the 1930's. Donkey Kong came out 50 years later. By that time, giant apes that kidnap women were part of pop culture. It can hardly be called plagiarism at that point. This case is a bit different. I don't know if the creator deserves credit in-game or compensation though.
"Giant apes that kidnap women were part of pop culture."

Was there some other ape, other than King Kong, that kidnapped women, that I'm not aware of? I guess I'm not as knowledgeable of retro pop culture as I thought I was...

Also the 1930s point is not all that relevant, there was a remake of the '33 King Kong in the mid 70s ('76 I believe), so King Kong once again came into the public prominence because the mid-70s version did very well at the box office.

So it's not "a bit different" at all, as far as an example of what the poster I was replying to was talking about. A rip off is a rip off. And Donkey Kong is a direct and blatant rip off of King Kong. To the point where Universal sued Nintendo for it.

So I most certainly agree with the poster I was replying to, in that video games have been either taking heavy "inspiration" from, or directly ripping off, pop culture, since the 80s. Think about the Metroid series in relation to the Aliens movie series; Solid Snake in relation to Snake Plisskin from the movie Escape from New York, the Street Fighter character Fei Long in relation to Bruce Lee; the "boxer" Street Fighter character who was originally named Mike Bison in Japan, in relation to Mike Tyson (I mean, it's pretty blatant, which is why they had to rename him to "Balrog" in the Western releases), etc etc.

EDIT: Let's be clear, I'm only speaking in the narrow context of the poster I was replying to, who I agreed with. This is not saying that Capcom didn't do a blatant rip off here. It's pretty obvious. And my stance on it is that, if the original creator wants to sue, then he should, and the courts will issue the appropriate ruling per the many copyright and Intellectual Property laws....

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
check out bara drill/drill master from super sentai/power rangers
his engine block for a head monster isn't terribly special
generic realistic-looking propeller engine, I want a monster with a prop engine for a torso isn't exactly high concept and sticking inhuman things on human bodies has been a horror staple for ever

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What's this? Two propeller head zombies. Sounds like a pretty unique concept to me.

Unlike let's say two media having two red skinned horned demons.

Movie guy has a point.

SoraNoKuni

It certainly is "inspired" not to say flat out stolen design, the art team probably went on an indie horror movie binge watching for influences, and that's not bad, that's what artists usually do in every space.

A shout-out would be a great move by capcom, I just hope he doesn't take that shout-out to the courtroom.

Zeroing

Banned
everything is a copy of a copy of a copy… nothing is truly original. And when people say “it’s original” it’s because they ( creators ) subversively changed the concept of that copy! That’s why nowadays in movies , they put a disclaimer “inspired by real events” or “the characters and story are fictional”
so that nobody can sue the movie studio.

anyway it’s more than obvious RE8 copied or “took inspiration in a lot of things” and make them connected through one ridiculous story.

For more than 400 years, everything from fashion, art etc took “inspiration” from Japan. They are doing it the same

it’s the appeal of a foreign culture

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Seems like a thin argument. But I'll say that movie was pretty gnarly. Total popcorn horror. Worth a watch if it's on a streaming service near you.

I actually think this is way beyond "inspiration" tbh...
yeah I'm thinking the same. i never heard of this movie before but I did beat RE8 over the weekend. however, i just watched a trailer for the movie and looked at a bunch of the images.

Even then single and double arm drill guys look to be in the movie and the factory setting and eyes being covered with metal and the red heart thing but looks green in the movie instead of red.

fart town usa

Gold Member
in the documents you find in RE8, Heisenberg (the guy who made these experiments) even says how stupid this guy is and that it was a dumb idea lol.
That buildup to Fan Man is fantastic.
Heisenberg yelling at him to "shut the fuck up" and then him bursting through various walls. If you were like me, I never stopped to actually look at him, just kept running.
But then when you actually fight him, lol. I was like "WTF is this thing??". Really campy and funny considering
the files talking about dumb he is and how he cut off his own arms accidentally, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Look, if Overlord can exist without Capcom claiming plagiarism, then I think we should be able to live in a world where two equally ridiculous Fan Man monsters can exist.

Seriously though, Overlord might as well be a Resident Evil move. It's so awesome.

Astral Dog

Look, if Overlord can exist without Capcom claiming plagiarism, then I think we should be able to live in a world where two equally ridiculous Fan Man monsters can exist.

Seriously though, Overlord might as well be a Resident Evil move. It's so awesome.
I watched a part, but never finished it(the player stoped working) theyvput it recently on Netflix i want to watch it now 🍿 and Frankenstein Army 😎

Tschumi

So a propeller face is identical to a propeller belly. Maybe we could make a joke if it was a propeller head and a propeller dick, but this is a stretch.

Propeller.

Excess

I think Lindsey Lohan tried this "pay-day" tactic once.

Heck, Kojima's entire persona is that of being a wannabe director.
Ughh, don't get me started on Kojima. The man is such a creative hack.

The most offensive thing he has done is his rip-off of Snake Plissken, but I guess John Carpenter is just a nice guy. :)

L22I7MT.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
I watched a part, but never finished it(the player stoped working) theyvput it recently on Netflix i want to watch it now 🍿 and Frankenstein Army 😎
It's awesome, I went in only knowing that it involved BOW stuff and Nazi's and it just slowly morphed into a total RE vibe, I was floored at what I was seeing. One of the main guys is more or less Chris Redfield, and then the main Villain has a total Wesker vibe. Definitely give it a watch sometime.

iu
iu

iu

Banned
That buildup to Fan Man is fantastic.
Heisenberg yelling at him to "shut the fuck up" and then him bursting through various walls. If you were like me, I never stopped to actually look at him, just kept running.
But then when you actually fight him, lol. I was like "WTF is this thing??". Really campy and funny considering
the files talking about dumb he is and how he cut off his own arms accidentally, lol.

yeah he's almost like a comic relief boss xD and he can be annoying to fight if the flames are in sub-optimal spots

tassletine

Capcom ripped it off, but we're talking horror and I seem to remember the Cenobites pretty much started the 'head' motif years ago.
Pinhead, CD head. That lead to Pyramid head, Box head etc. It's all been done and sticking a propeller on human body isn't much of a stretch.
Also The Strain (Among others) was heavily inspired by RE so it's been a fair trade, especially given the free publicity the film gets.

spookyfish

Jim Cameron turns on Halo:
“Hey—wait a minute...”

Robert A Heinlein turns on ALIENS:
“Hey — wait a minute ...”

I watched the movie. It's actually not bad, kinda fun at parts and has a hilarious ending.

As for the RE8 connection, it's very close in design. Only difference is that in RE8 the "dumbass chopped his own hands off", according to an in-game note.

Also, it's introduction in the movie is pretty fucked up. It's behind a flap, down a chute and the protagonists essentially throw a Nazi kid down the chute head-first in order to find out what's behind the flap. No gore thankfully but the imagery is still pretty shocking lol

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
While we're at it:

wqzpmBU.jpg
now that one is pretty bad
I think Lindsey Lohan tried this "pay-day" tactic once.

Ughh, don't get me started on Kojima. The man is such a creative hack.

The most offensive thing he has done is his rip-off of Snake Plissken, but I guess John Carpenter is just a nice guy. :)

L22I7MT.jpg
John carpenter basically said its a good game Kojima seems like a nice guy so I'll let it slide

Top Bottom