• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Games That Were Ahead of its Time / Possible Today

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Just made a thread about this one 😏

6tbgIgb.jpg

Also I remember getting to see the design docs for insane and thought it looked really promising...

SinDelta

Winder Waker - The complete version
Dragon's Dogma - The insane complete version
Kotor 3
Dragon Age 4 - Not the current one. Prior one would have had a focus on Tevinter intrigue
Deep Down
Agent
Age of Empires 4 and 5 (before the DE's and 4 now being set in the Middle Ages instead of World War 2)

Half-Life 3 (Advances in VR and Alex might change this. Final Fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Shenmue 3, Resident Evil 2 /3 Remakes, Duke Nukem Forever, The Last Guardian and Phantasy Star Online 2 PC version have all come out in time since. )

Last edited:
Wasnt a demo or even ok'd by GG

I see what you're doing tho lol

Personally I wish kz had stuck with its original MP tho for kz2, with tanks etc, basically BF rivial
I've always liked KZ. A lot of people had a big problem with the weightiness of the gameplay, but I thought it seemed to fit the game. It felt so different from every other shooter that was out at the time. I didn't know that it wasn't Ok'd by GG.

INC

I've always liked KZ. A lot of people had a big problem with the weightiness of the gameplay, but I thought it seemed to fit the game. It felt so different from every other shooter that was out at the time. I didn't know that it wasn't Ok'd by GG.

They didn't even make the trailer i believe

I love kz2, I really do, but the excuse of weight really bugs me, just isn't right, its just pure input lag. And didn't make the games better

Why i longed for a remaster to resolve that, and it would almost be the perfect mp shooter for me

Last edited:
They didn't even male it

I love kz2, I really do, but the excuse of weight really bugs me, just isn't right, its just pure input lag. And didn't make the games better

Whyi longed for a remaster to resolve that, and it would almost be the perfect mp shooter for me
I guess I just really liked input lag as a young teen :messenger_tears_of_joy: Lags not cool now tho!

Fbh

Never heard about project Hon.
Looks really cool aside from the framerate.

Man I swear South Korea could be a second japan if only their entire industry wasn't focused on making grindy microtransaction fueled MMO's

Resident Evil 3.5! Any playable form of it from either the released trailers/gameplay video or even unseen stuff from it would instantly be a dream game for me! Bring it on Capcom!

CamHostage

Demonik (360 launch title akin to Psi-ops)

Whoa, I always thought the Grandma's Boy game was going to be a crappy beast-brawler game, but looking at the concept trailer, it is kind of a Psi-Ops type of game by Terminal Reality.

There was also a body-swapping game a few years ago that I don't think was outright canceled, just never picked up, and each body had different abilities (including psychic 'force-wielder' powers), but I can't remember the name of it? It wasn't They, but it's got a name that I believe has actually been used in a different game since then and I can't come up with it...

CamHostage

There was also a body-swapping game a few years ago that I don't think was outright canceled, just never picked up, and each body had different abilities (including psychic 'force-wielder' powers), but I can't remember the name of it? It wasn't 'They', but something kind of vague or pointed like that, but I can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure somebody here will know what I'm talking about, but then they probably won't remember the name of it either, it's like 'Project Something' or 'The Human Something' or 'The Element Project No Not That But Like That' or, damn it, what the fuck was that game called...

PROJECT AWAKENED!!!!!!!

Made by Phosphor Studios (who made The Brookhaven Experiment and Horn and Gemini: Heroes Reborn, if anybody remembers those games; the studio is still around doing VR and contract work.) A psychic/superhero power third-person single-player/co-op action project.

screen_shot_2013-02-04_at_10.06.34_am_1.0.png

Project Awakened was this UE3 prototype that was to be one of the first projects targeting an upgrade/port-up to UE4, and it was a story-based game but also multiplayer co-op online, and the Character Creation MOD system was totally editable and modular without set classes or skilltrees, and you could even go in and modify the world and the environments for some reason to make not only your own designed character but even levels, enemies, obstacles/interactive elements, and stage objectives/gametypes...

28b98d161ef0eb92f8e9656890afcdd2_original.jpg

Phosphor Games were one of the early game projects on Kickstarter (launched Feb 2013, did $338k on a $half-million goal) and it never got funding. Heroes Reborn was a relaunch of the idea, more or less, and it was overly-ambitious as well (instead of it all being one crazy game that you could do any kind of power imaginable in, Heroes Reborn was going to be a string of episodic games with different characters and powers... they made a 2016 current-gen game and a mobile game and then that project came to an end as well. So, go play that for $3 on Steam or $15 on console if that one passed you by or you're interested.

Oh, and the Phosphor Games guys, they were Midway Chicago guys who worked on Psi-Ops, so there's the connection.

Last edited:
I'd really love to see that collaboration between Suda51 and Shinji Mikami revived... think it was called "Darkness"?

With the fast load times, the HDR, and the 3D audio in the new consoles, that game sounds like it could be freakin' amazing today.

That looked so damn good assuming it was all in-engine.

I really wanted a proper sequel and this looked right up my alley - a full on balls-to-the-walls gritty Coruscant with seedy aliens.

Instead, we got a System Shock knock-off fighting Shadow People. Not that nu-Prey isn't a good game but it should have been titled something different. Bethesda just wanted to erase the original Prey from memory (you cannot even find it on Steam) because they hate the Human Head guys.

And yeah yeah I know Human Head fucked over people with some other newer game of their's but I'm solely talking about Prey 2006 with Native American spirit walking and a game to actually also feature one of my all time favorite shows, Coast to Coast AM with Art Freaking Bell.

Last edited:
I'd really love to see that collaboration between Suda51 and Shinji Mikami revived... think it was called "Darkness"?

With the fast load times, the HDR, and the 3D audio in the new consoles, that game sounds like it could be freakin' amazing today.
I think you're thinking about Shadows of the Damned and getting it confused with the Top Cow comic book based game The Darkness.

Wasnt a demo or even ok'd by GG

I see what you're doing tho lol

Personally I wish kz had stuck with its original MP tho for kz2, with tanks etc, basically BF rivial
It couldn’t be a bf rival if the core gameplay feels wonkY, as in the way your player moved and how he aimed his gun. Which is what EVERY single kill zone game suffered from.

This was supposed to be the "swan song" for the PS3 and 360 and was going to push those consoles to the limit.

It was also going to be an in-continuity reboot.

This is perhaps up there as one of the very best video game series ever made. It's a shame we may never get more games in the Nosgoth universe.

However, ngl, there's some odd design choices here.

petran79

Banned
latest

Pre-shenmue and 3d gta basically:

Ah yes, Urban Decay. [...] There were loads of tech demos done and the game looked amazing. It was still a bit “Alone in the Dark” in parts with fixed camera locations, but was very good. It was pretty much the first proper adult game I’d seen, with swearing and “proper” violence in it. The stuff I saw was character anims synced to voice overs, some rag-doll demos (guy would fall down a set of stairs after you shot him), and a warehouse scene where you could stealthily walk up to someone from behind and slit their throat, or lean out from behind crates shooting with a gun in each hand. The only thing that I remember hearing was that they couldn’t make a good enough game out of it. They had all of these bits and pieces of “cool stuff”, but took too long to get anything together into a coherent whole. It was a great shame because it was the game that I was looking forward to the most out of all of the games of that era. Another statement can still be found on Unseen 64 and comes from the development team's artist and in-game programmer Ken Doyle:

The protagonist looking back one last time before the project's cancellation. I did work on it. The ol memory’s a bit dim but basically various issues assailed and eventually sunk the project. Firstly the main creative and design force behind the game, a guy called Eamon Butler left to pursue a successful career at Disney. He became frustrated with endless requests for design and style changes. It was originally due to be an ellipsoid game but later changed over to a more regular poly look for the sake of realism. Urban Decay was shelved so work on Ecstatica 2 could begin. We returned to Urban Decay but the studios relationship with Psygnosis soured and that was that. Studio closed and we all moved on. That’s about it. Hope this helps.

regawdless

Banned
Original vision of Halo

It was a third person game with a dynamic conflict in an open world. Capture bases, cut off enemy supplies etc.
So extremely ambitious at the time.

Then MS came in and made it into a console exclusive scaled down first person shooter.

Now blaming them, the original vision was impossible to realize. Sounded interesting though.

Top Bottom