• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canceled DOOM 4 new prototype footage surfaces

It certainly looked like a product of its time, that's for sure. Heavy emphasis on small combat in tight corridors, scripted parts with QTEs that put emphasis on the dramatic encounters, the need to have several companions, also the brown filter that makes it look like Rage but in a more grounded Earth. Would it have been a fun FPS? Probably. Enemy designs and animations were on point, and it could have shed light on something the franchise never explored well: Earth's invasion. Doom 2 and Eternal alike see the protagonist land when it already happened, so a prequel of sorts would have been fun.

But Doom 2016 and Eternal are what a modern rendition of Doom should be. Crazy to think that after Doom 3 was rather divisive among fans for not being anything like classic Doom games, they figured the way to correct course would be... making a game that is even more removed from what Doom was. At least they kept the glory kills!

Bartski

Gold Member
0:22 actually ended up in Doom Eternal, Super Gore Nest
yeah also many enemies and systems, like the Imp, the Baron of hell, or the glory kill mechanic, were already developed for that game. Restarting it gave us DOOM 2016 so definitely the right call.

Kuranghi

I loved Doom 2016 but haven't got around to playing Eternal yet because I refused to pay £50 for the steam version. Bethesda Launcher version was £33 on release day but I don't want to have just one game on a launcher, I'll forget it about just like I did with Uplay until recently, I bought a game I already had on Uplay on Steam again ha.

Whens that next-gen Eternal patch coming, come on Uncle id.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Meh, Doom Eternal is much better.

Fair enough for yourself, but I dunno if thats the general consenus is it? It just seemed to drop off everyones radar really quickly compared to Doom 2016, now all I ever see is the occasional person saying they prefer the tone of 2016 and that the platforming is like a modern Turok for a lot of people, ie they don't like it.

I personally love Turok platforming so I'm really excited for that part, but I also haven't played it so can't comment on whether I liked it or not.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I was always curious by the change in tone from 2016 to Eternal. I assumed that the Doom 2016 team was working to complete a lot of stuff they had leftover and then Eternal had all the character and style that they always wanted to go for. However, looking at this footage seems a lot more like Eternal with the destroyed cityscapes.

From one of the most impressive for all the wrong reasons CVs in gaming:

- lead designer of Fear 2
- lead designer of Doom 4
- lead the final year of development of Aliens: Colonial Marines and its DLC (I didn't even know it had DLC)
- worked on Battleborn and Borderlands 3
- now lead designer of the Halo Infinite campaign

I would love to play this Doom 4 but I knew it would be bad once he moved from Monolith to id.

SuperGooey

Scrapping this was probably for the better, but I really hope the next Doom rethinks their approach. The endless "trap you in an arena until you kill everything" gauntlets that make up Doom 2016 and especially Doom Eternal got tiring quick. I can't think of any other game where I thought "will this fucking end already?" as much as I did in Eternal.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Not really, no. It's quite fun but as a follow up to my favorite fps of last-gen I lowkey hated it. Doom 2016 had the perfect tone of tongue in cheek B action-horror while Eternal felt like a cartoon parody inspired by Super Mario, but many people liked that and I get it.

This is a very big reason why I loved it too, I love the silly robot voices and the tone of how the Doom Guy reacts to what people are telling him. Its perfect for me, so its put me off knowing that its gone now in favour of "lets put a unicorn costume on Doom Guy lulz", I also didn't want to ever see his face, just like I don't want to hear Gordon Freeman speak.

Can't beat a well-done, vocoded robot/AI voice.

Kuranghi

From one of the most impressive for all the wrong reasons CVs in gaming:

- lead designer of Fear 2
- lead designer of Doom 4
- lead the final year of development of Aliens: Colonial Marines and its DLC (I didn't even know it had DLC)
- worked on Battleborn and Borderlands 3
- now lead designer of the Halo Infinite campaign

I would love to play this Doom 4 but I knew it would be bad once he moved from Monolith to id.

Look on the brightside, at least NOLF 1 and 2 were good. Although I'm not sure that was down to the level design...

borborygmus

Scrapping this was probably for the better, but I really hope the next Doom rethinks their approach. The endless "trap you in an arena until you kill everything" gauntlets that make up Doom 2016 and especially Doom Eternal got tiring quick. I can't think of any other game where I thought "will this fucking end already?" as much as I did in Eternal.

Rare opinion, but I agree. The enemies should live inside the level. The fact they don't makes it very repetitive. At the start of Doom 2016 there's an enemy spawn point that doesn't lock you in, and the enemies just pop out of existence if you get out. It's ridiculous.

I think personally, scripted event's are the way to go as long as they can also break protocol and dynamically adjust to the player - essentially what all gamer's want are dynamically scripted event's - and this is something we have not actually seen deployed successfully in gaming. Sure, canned animations and scripted sequences are a bore - more dynamic, immersive scripted event's that change depending on something as simple as the nuance of a characters footing/weapon loadout/maneuver during that event would be a welcomed improvement to most games coming down the pipe.

Nuanced event's are the future for most titles, this can be accomplished with more dynamic/better scripting - we are in still in the 8 bit era of scripting unfortunately/ these event's rarely tend to be dynamic or nuanced. Nor do they respond to the player based on more than a small set of standard actions. This of course will change.

Perrott

Gold Member
It would've been so cool to have Doom 4 see the light of day during the final days of the 360/PS3 generation, it was a really nice and fresh take on the franchise considering the trends in first-person shooters around that time.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I remember seeing some leaked media of this over the years. It looks cool but it definitely wasn't the right directions for Doom. People compared it to Call of Duty, like a real linear campaign, as was the fashion at the time. Doom 3 was also criticized for being very "of its moment," but Doom 4's "moment" wasn't really a great one for single player FPS in my opinion.

YuLY

The one from 2016 is perfection. I'm not sure I like the FPS Souls Like style they made for Eternal, even if I finished that game also. I wish they would find a middle ground between the two, where you still feel powerful and dont need to play FPS chess to survive, but also have difficulty if wanting it.

Also am I the only one that preferred the toned down obscured little story bits from 2016, as oppossed to the fantasy space techno-babble they came up with for Eternal ?

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
yeah glad that hit the bin.
I liked Doom 3. The atmosphere, pace.
This looked like it took it too far in a way. Too much like 'Resistence'

If the next Doom can somehow mesh Doom 3 & Doom 2016, that would be a God tier for me.

The one from 2016 is perfection. I'm not sure I like the FPS Souls Like style they made for Eternal, even if I finished that game also. I wish they would find a middle ground between the two, where you still feel powerful and dont need to play FPS chess to survive, but also have difficulty if wanting it.

Also am I the only one that preferred the toned down obscured little story bits from 2016, as oppossed to the fantasy space techno-babble they came up with for Eternal ?
I would have preferred a Doom II or Final Doom style game where you have the weaponry you need but you can be overwhelmed easily. Not the play of 2016 or Eternal. I still replay the old dooms, but I don't replay the new ones. But I still think the 90s era of shooters was the best. Duke 3d, Quake, Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, Wolf 3d, RTCW, Unreal, UT, AY DIOS MIO. Like AM/PM SO MUCH GOOD STUFF.

Royal-Slime

Banned
I wonder if anyone would have a misplaced sense of longing to play this over Doom 2016, like the highly scripted, QTE ridden COD-clone that was R6 Patriots that some people have convinced themselves they would have preferred over Siege.
I've already seen some saying they prefer this over Eternal because "platforming bad" :D Honestly, I fully understand why people like Cliff Bleszinski leave the industry. Unlike movies games have this weird entitlement where people think developers owe them something. This is especially true in the field of action games, shooters and things like that. "Remove Kait from Gears 5, she'a woman, this is a game for MEN" :D :D

Looks like my ex once i got my prescription glasses. Fuck man.
You sure you weren't looking into a mirror?
So PS360era with all military shit
Military shit is as bad as girl with a bow shit in PS4 era :D Nothing against female protagonists (I'm all for them), just find it hilarious how pretty much every game with a female always has a damn bow, even if it's a fantasy where you can do anything.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
If the next Doom can somehow mesh Doom 3 & Doom 2016, that would be a God tier for me

Took the words outta my mouth. The truly perfect Doom game has yet to be made.

For me the best Doom game is still Doom 3 overall. I found it to have the richest world and atmosphere, amazing graphics and sound that both still 100% hold up today, and solid gameplay. Doom 16 and Eternal are a bit too jokey and self aware for me.

While I definitely lean more Doom 3/Doom 64, I am also a fan of what they did with 2016 and Eternal as well.

In fact every Doom game is a good game.

Had they gone with this concept I think we might have had our first not so great Doom game, but who knows maybe it would have been great this way too!

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Took the words outta my mouth. The truly perfect Doom game has yet to be made.

For me the best Doom game is still Doom 3 overall. I found it to have the richest world and atmosphere, amazing graphics and sound that both still 100% hold up today, and solid gameplay. Doom 16 and Eternal are a bit too jokey and self aware for me.

While I definitely lean more Doom 3/Doom 64, I am also a fan of what they did with 2016 and Eternal as well.

In fact every Doom game is a good game.

Had they gone with this concept I think we might have had our first not so great Doom game, but who knows maybe it would have been great this way too!

Yeah, I'm a sucker for that Doom3 ID Tech look. Love their tech today. Not sure what the right terms are, but I like that light plays a major role in defining textures than other games where it seems painted on.

I still have not played Eternal, no doubt the gameplay is solid, I am just turned off by all the neon colours and weapon drops. It went for an arcade-y vibe (again I haven't played it, only watched videos) but I hope the next Doom brings back horror into the fold.

GenericUser

Love it. It think there is space for both of them. The more arcadey comical doom 1016 and eternal and the more serious, down to earth, silent hillish doom. Just do both bethesda :3

carlosrox

Banned
Agreed. Do both.

We should not lose horror Doom cuz horror Doom is amazing.

The atmosphere and sound in Doom 64 and Doom 3 still outdo basically any other game in existence. Truly incredible soundscapes.

They should bring back the composer of Doom 64, or bring back Trent Reznor like originally planned for 3 and see what he can do.

We've had two action focused Doom games no so I'd love to see either a horror/action horror game again.

Maybe Callisto Protocol will inspire them.

Really pleased to see the Doom 3 love in this thread. I will never understand people not seeing that game as anything other than awesome.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
It went for an arcade-y vibe (again I haven't played it, only watched videos) but I hope the next Doom brings back horror into the fold.

I doubt it unless it's another reboot somewhere down the line. How much they're confident in this approach makes me expect them to double down on it in future projects.

They also said they want Ancient Gods 2 to be the ultimate conclusion to the Slayer epos, established now in Eternal by it's IMO bloated and completely unnecessary lore.

When released - my initial impressions after beating the game seemed very unpopular at the time but I see there are many DOOM 2016 fans out there that feel my pain.

Mechanically Eternal is a great game, looks great and it's a lot of fun, I respect them having a vision and sticking to their guns, it's just not the Doom I wanted but that's just life man, I'm happy for everyone who enjoys this kind of stuff and hope there will be more games in the future inspired by the direction they took with Doom 3

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
thank god they ditched the SO SERIOUS tone and went with colorful fantasy

that was always my favorite element of DOOM from the beginning, the colorful crazy demons. this shit wasn't serious, it was based on Dio and Iron Maiden album covers. if you are upset about lore, i don't know what to say, lol, you do realize this is DOOM you are talking about? haha.
The endless "trap you in an arena until you kill everything" gauntlets that make up Doom 2016 and especially Doom Eternal got tiring quick
try going back and playing the 4th Thy Flesh Consumed episode of the original DOOM, they actually use those kind of traps constantly! arena style DOOM shoot outs have been a thing for deacdes.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Glad they went with 2016 Doom. The step up in game play in Doom Eternal is amazing, I don't understand the hate it gets, it's very fast paced requires great aim and forces you to use the mechanics of chainsaw, glory kill, flame belch for resources and bombs to stagger the bigger enemies.

Smashing Eternal on nightmare (w/controller) is right up there with raiding VoG for the first time, fantastic experience.

Also: Gore nest master level on nightmare can go fuck it self fucking 2 Maurders absolute nails man

Last edited:

amigastar

Glad they went with 2016 Doom. The step up in game play in Doom Eternal is amazing, I don't understand the hate it gets, it's very fast paced requires great aim and forces you to use the mechanics of chainsaw, glory kill, flame belch for resources and bombs to stagger the bigger enemies.

Smashing Eternal on nightmare (w/controller) is right up there with raiding VoG for the first time, fantastic experience.

Also: Gore nest master level on nightmare can go fuck it self fucking 2 Maurders absolute nails man
Agreed, Doom Eternal set a little benchmark for me for what games can achieve when every mechanic fits well into the whole game.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

try going back and playing the 4th Thy Flesh Consumed episode of the original DOOM, they actually use those kind of traps constantly! arena style DOOM shoot outs have been a thing for deacdes.
Eternal took it to the extreme. I literally thought my game was broken because some of the arenas went on sooooooooo long. It got boring quick.

Top Bottom