• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

The thread took almost twice as long to hit 20k. Don't worry though because Black Friday and Boxing Day are coming so even if we don't get any deals we'll at least whine about them.

For those new to this, we share deals and promos on video games in this thread. However, we do sometimes stray off that topic and into other issues that might affect us all -- most commonly internet and wireless deals. Sometimes pillows and McDonalds deals. In any case, it's a pretty casual thread and we're all just here to save some money! You'll see some of the more common promos that we recommend taking advantage of in the first post.

With this thread we'd like to make it a bit easier to find deals so if you are posting a new deal (rather than discussing an old one or wondering about shipping), please post NEW DEAL in highlights at the beginning of your post like this:

NEW DEAL
Nintendo Entertainment System - In Stock
http://notreally.lol

If it's a local deal or you're looking for something, try to say what city! In any case, here's the standard first page stuff using graphics I lost the source files for over 2 3 years ago:

YvEoj.png

GameDealsCanada - Run by our very own No_Style, he posts weekly flyer sales. Follow on Twitter.
Flip - Apparently an official trade-in value calculator for Future Shop and Best Buy
RedFlagDeals - The largest Canadian deals website.
CheapAssGamer - The Canadian sub-forum of the largest video game deals forum.
GameDealsCanada Twitter Feed - No_Style puts pretty much everything in this thread into a Twitter feed for you to follow
GameDealsCanada Facebook Page - If you'd rather follow on Facebook, you can Like No_Stye's page
GamesForCanada - See "purchasing us only items" below​

lMWYa.png

WOdTD.png

The (Un)Official Canada-GAF Approved method is GamesForCanada. goomba478 of CheapAssGamer runs this website which will help you get just about anything - not just games - from the US to Canada. You use the form on his site to tell him what you want, and he orders it for you then ships it to Canada for a small fee. We have all had great experiences with GFC. He also has a forum.

hrjeV.png

Shoppers Drug Mart
A store you wouldn't think sells games but does. The deals to be had are using their Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Program. You can earn and redeem Optimum points for almost everything, which includes games, systems, and accessories, but not pre-paid cards. Normally you only earn 10 points per dollar spent (not including taxes). There are redemption levels that run from 8000 points for $10 to 95000 points for $170 of merchandise (you still have to pay the taxes).

20x Events
You need to make a purchase of $50 before tax, but you earn 200 points per dollar.

18500 (or 15000) Bonus Point Events
You need to make a purchase of $75 before tax, but you earn your regular 10 points per dollar plus the bonus points.

Bonus Redemption Events
Generally these events are 50000 points for $100 or 95000 points for $200 of merchandise.

Super Redemption Events
These have redemptions such as 40000 points for $90, 50000 for $125, 80000 for $200, or 95000 for $250 of merchandise.​

Amazon.ca
Pales in comparison to its US brother, but they match most sales and promotions. You can sometimes get lucky with random price drops that will stack with E3 promotions but their shipping is awful. You will not receive your game on Day 1 so if that's important to you don't bother. Prime now offers 20% off pre-orders and new games.

Best Buy
The only trade-in alternative (chain-wise) to EB. Don't trade in games there. But hey, Reward Zone points, right? They are the other option from Amazon for pre-order deals. E3 and, in 2015, Black Friday offered 30% off all pre-orders. You'll get the game Day 1 in most cases if you're in a major city but their order management on the web leaves much to be desired.

The Source
Clearance games can drop to under $5. Website ships to store for free. Their eBay site has decent stuff.

Indigo
Games are exclusive to their website. Free shipping to stores but it's very slow. Sometimes has coupon sales that also apply to consoles.

EB Games
Deals are bad. No price-matching. Trades? Sometimes your only option for rarer things.

Staples
They sell games on their website, but seem to have abandoned it at the store-level.

Superstore
May find occasional bargain bin steals. No Sales Tax on some weekends makes it a good place to pick up consoles.

E3
During E3, both Future Shop Amazon and Best Buy usually have pre-order deals on all the games announced at the show. You aren't charged until they ship and can cancel at any time so it's a good idea to pre-order! These range from 30% off to $20 off each title. Check this thread at E3! At this point it's the only time people buy games.

Black Friday
Last year Black Friday was better than Boxing Day with a good number of sales. Don't expect this year's to be better. It's usually worse.

Boxing Day
It's basically online shopping on Christmas Eve now.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hope Black Friday is good this year.

Ill take Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 and Dishonored 2 at good prices something like $40 each.

last years boxing on psn/xb1 was actually pretty decent for me

hoping to pick up a PS4 Pro with a free game or a giftcard with it atleast around BF day

Infinite Warfare still hasn't shipped for me, and it won't let me cancel the preorder on amazon online. I dont even want this thing anymore. Is there any other option besides calling customer service?

Never had an issue with amazon until I jumped into prime... Tell me how that makes any sense

Infinite Warfare still hasn't shipped for me, and it won't let me cancel the preorder on amazon online. I dont even want this thing anymore. Is there any other option besides calling customer service?

Never had an issue with amazon until I jumped into prime... Tell me how that makes any sense

Hmmm

Better add "or shipping" to the thread title.

Tensa

Neo Member
To anyone who got their hands on a PS4 Pro: How is the level of noise on yours when playing games? I've read mixed opinions on it so far.

Time to place your bets folks. How many pages do we hit before an actual good deal gets posted?

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 9: We're Still Alive But Our Deals Aren't

To anyone who got their hands on a PS4 Pro: How is the level of noise on yours when playing games? I've read mixed opinions on it so far.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 9: We're Still Alive But Our Deals Aren't

Got my pro earlier today, have literallly only played the cookie clicker clone. so not the best judge but it was dead silent

kennah

Is games for Canada still in operation? There was a post in the last thread of someone not able to contact him.

SickBoy

PSA: Don't forget you can subscribe to a thread using thread tools! We don't need the first five pages to be posts saying "subbed!"

To anyone who got their hands on a PS4 Pro: How is the level of noise on yours when playing games? I've read mixed opinions on it so far

Noise was my chief concern and so far I've been pleased. But I've been playing a lot of unpatched titles, so i think reduced noise is expected in those situations.

I have played a few patched games as well and was able to make the fan kick up one speed (still rather quiet), but it's very possible that I just haven't yet encountered the game that demands from the system what, say, Doom demands from the original PS4.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I want a cheap raspberry pi, does that can bundle thing on amazon ever go on sale?

No_Style

Looking out for a good deal on Titanfall 2 for black Friday. Ready to come away disappointed.

Define "good". I see $39.99 (50% off) as a good deal which I can totally see happening for Black Friday.

Compared to my 2013 model? It's a bit quieter overall. It's definitely not louder than my older PS4.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
When I moved here, we had Blockbuster swapping for EB trade ins. Then a sniff of parity. Those were the days
No regrets, I love Canada

CRA5H

Got my pro earlier today, have literallly only played the cookie clicker clone. so not the best judge but it was dead silent

Noise was my chief concern and so far I've been pleased. But I've been playing a lot of unpatched titles, so i think reduced noise is expected in those situations.

I have played a few patched games as well and was able to make the fan kick up one speed (still rather quiet), but it's very possible that I just haven't yet encountered the game that demands from the system what, say, Doom demands from the original PS4.

My experience so far is that it's been similar to that of the launch PS4. It's not silent when playing a game. One time while playing Shadows of Mordor, in the beginning where full particle rain systems were in effect, the fan just kicked up to 100% and I was shocked at how loud it was. Haven't heard it since though. I want to do as much testing as possible before my 30 day return at EB is up.

eyesradar

I think my pro is significant quieter than my launch unit at least for now.
I havent got any really long sessions (like 3+hrs?) on it yet plus it's a brand new unit so this comparison seems a bit unfair. But I am really happy with my Pro's performance so far.

LordOfChaos

I think my pro is significant quieter than my launch unit at least for now.
I havent got any really long sessions (like 3+hrs?) on it yet plus it's a brand new unit so this comparison seems a bit unfair. But I am really happy with my Pro's performance so far.

It was compared to the C-chassis aka CUH-1200 model, not the launch unit. The 1200 was significantly quieter already, I have that one, at TV distance I barely hear it but at a desk I do.

I've never preordered through Amazon before but got in on the E3 deal for Pokemon Moon. My account shows that it isn't shipping until the 21st, three days after release. Did I screw up and not select a release day shipping option that I didn't know I had to or are they jerking me around again (already had to get them to fix the price twice to match their promo)?

sj00

It's been a while since I've seen a good bold red DEAL in our deal threads, hopefully that changes over the next few weeks!

eyesradar

I've never preordered through Amazon before but got in on the E3 deal for Pokemon Moon. My account shows that it isn't shipping until the 21st, three days after release. Did I screw up and not select a release day shipping option that I didn't know I had to or are they jerking me around again (already had to get them to fix the price twice to match their promo)?

Yes. This years E3 preorder free shipping is either a hit or a miss. If you have Prime call them NOW. They will be able to manually update it to 2-day shipping for you. The release-day shipments for Pokemon Sun/Moon technically should be leaving their facility today (at least that's what it says on my order).

Yes. This years E3 preorder free shipping is either a hit or a miss. If you have Prime call them NOW. They will be able to manually update it to 2-day shipping for you. The release-day shipments for Pokemon Sun/Moon technically should be leaving their facility today (at least that's what it says on my order).
Ah thanks. I don't have prime because I really don't order enough to justify it. I'll try a customer service chat still but I guess I should have been paying more attention.

Moltenix

Woo, thread #8. More bad deals and "optimized" shipping!

Anyway, i'm probably gonna cancel my Amazon Pokemon Sun. Saving $10 but not being able to play this weekend (and possibly most of next week) is a deal-breaker. Will just pick it up somewhere after work on Friday.

I am already over my NES Classic.

It's cute and I will definitely keep it but I would take a better implementation of their virtual console with a proper account system that tracks my purchases across platform.

Kyolux

It's cute and I will definitely keep it but I would take a better implementation of their virtual console with a proper account system that tracks my purchases across platform.

Send it to me. I need one to gift to my mom. :p

Played for an hour with the GF and packed it up.

It's neat but I still prefer to use my real NES on a CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom