• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you think of any open world game that provided zero directions and all you could rely on are actual in-game landmarks?

CamHostage

The Getaway.

Heh, sort of... although The Getaway has a very subtle quest compass which players might not even have noticed.

When you are driving, the turn signal tail lights will use the blinkers to indicate which way to go to get to your destination.

352951-thegetawayps2-800x600.jpg

Last edited:

Aenima

Shenmue. The only way to know where you should go next, in some cases is by asking around to the NPCs, some NPCs might know where you should go other might tell you what NPC you should ask. The ones that know they just point in the direction of your objective. I always found this facinating as each NPC has a shitload of text lines for all the diferent objectives you might ask them.

Radical_3d

Heh, sort of... although The Getaway has a very subtle quest compass which players might not even have noticed.

When you are driving, the turn signal tail lights will use the blinkers to indicate which way to go to get to your destination.

But it’s integrated in the world. I think it’s very neat for an early 2000s game. What a game.

mdkirby

Damn, your parents are hardcore.

I kinda liked playing that game, but couldn't get too far. The impressive thing is that it was made by only one guy.
Yeah and the whole thing fit on a tiny floppy disk and ran on half a meg of ram. The Amiga 500 had 1mb of ram so to run the game you had to actually turn off the extra half mb 🤣

CGNoire

All of them if you just turn off the compass and minimap. You would be suprised how lazy our brains have gotten. When we turn all this BS off we always rise to the challenge and gain a large sense of immersion and self reliance in the process.

Last edited:
DayZ

Also I remember RDR2 was advertised in a way like this. If you turn off the mini-map, characters you interact with will give you additional information on where to go. I never tried it myself though.
I've seen this rumor floating around. But it's a straight up lie. The characters have the same voice lines no matter what.

I wish it was real because I always turn the map off. Unfortunately you need the mini map in order to know where to stand to start a mission or complete and objective.

Fairytale adventure on the Amiga 500

Massive open world of 16,000 screens. Perma-death with 3 brothers, older, middle, young. You start as the eldest in your village. If he dies, you return to your village now as the middle brother (with nothing). You can find your brothers corpse to claim all his stuff (all corpses remain in the game, slowly turning to skeletons). If you don’t eat drink or sleep you grow weak, slow, walk in non straight lines and eventually die. If the youngest brother (ie your third death) dies, then it’s game over, lose everything, start again.

My parents did the cartography and gradually hand made a massive 10ft map that filled the dining table. No googling shit in those days.
You gotta have a picture of that somewhere!

Kupfer

I've seen this rumor floating around. But it's a straight up lie. The characters have the same voice lines no matter what.

I wish it was real because I always turn the map off. Unfortunately you need the mini map in order to know where to stand to start a mission or complete and objective.
What a shame. At least RDR2 allowed you to put the map on a second screen. I bought a controller-clamp for my spare phone and played basically without any HUD on the big screen which was a nice feature.

DaGwaphics

They should do a new one: "Lost in the Woods"

They drop you in the middle of hundreds of miles of forest and you find your way out. Potentially thousands of hours of gameplay right there.

What a shame. At least RDR2 allowed you to put the map on a second screen. I bought a controller-clamp for my spare phone and played basically without any HUD on the big screen which was a nice feature.
That's pretty cool. I end up using the phycial map that came in the PS4 box a lot of the time. I use a blue sharpie to mark single player camp fire locations and a red one for online campfire locations.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Kingdom come deliverance felt like this to me.
This game in my top 5 game I would never played without the map , heck the game wouldnt even work without the map . Everywhere that not close to city look literally the same . Even the small village look the same to me , same looking house , same looking road , same looking tree .

Last edited:

Impotaku

Subnautica is like that, you are plopped down into the ocean on an alien planet with no map at all you have to figure out where everything is in relation to the crashed ship it took quite some doing to find some of the biomes.

Right, but you still had to memorize the map and locations if you wanted to revisit places you've already been or explore. The turn signals only worked during new misiions.

Filben

All of them if you just turn off the compass and minimap. You would be suprised how lazy our brains have gotten. When we turn all this BS off we always rise to the challenge and gain a large sense of immersion and self reliance in the process.
This is true. Partly. Because many games are designed with these features in mind. It does work in The Witcher 3 in some quests, but many will simply say "get it" or "get it by the river" and that's it. Good luck finding it without these tools. Sometimes you will stumble over things you need for quests because the world is so packed with points of interest.

Gothic 1 and 2 are prime examples for great environmental direction and clues.

In Gothic 1 you start in a mountain region with a bit left and right to explore but there's only one path leading down from the mountains. So even if you skipped all the dialogue telling where to find the Old Camp, the first village so to say, you see it from afar as you descend the trail. It's the first big landmark you will see coming from the beginning area. No map no compass needed. Everything points to that location and even if you still ignore that, wild animals too strong for you to beat in the surrounding areas plus several NPC will point you the camp and the people you should probably talk to first as a newbie in the world.

Gothic 2 works the same by starting in a valley to explore but ultimately leads to the city gates and walls which you need to pass. Peasents on a farm you passed before will tell you where to start, what's important, what's going on the world and how you could get into the city and all that without suffocating you in exposition and text walls.

Paths are so distinctive they're memorable and NPCs will mention them many times. That's when you truly engaged with the game's world and are immersed. Sometimes people can give you a very detailed description where to find things and sometimes they don't know any better.

Even two decades later games rarely are so well-designed in that regard.

This design philosophy contradicts the reach for instant gratification and other pop ups and tools tailored for that in many modern games though.

I think that what's made ER so big this generation because it wasn't something that still worked when certain helpers are disabled, but because there was so little helpers and markers to begin with but worked because of that, because it took players seriously while challenging them and also granting gratification through careful exploration, tough to beat enemies and tough to conquer areas.

I hope we get more of that direction without the need to have ultra hard difficulties or From's special way of telling stories.

Top Bottom