• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we expect to see any next gen games at EA Play Live digital event? (which aren't sports)

Isn't the Dead Space writer's next game teased for this event? Or am I mixing shit up again?

Maybe not next-gen exclusives but cross-gen games coming to PS5 and XsX will surely be on display, right?

NickFire

I can't imagine how any true BIG 3rd parties would justify a next gen only game in 2020 or 2021 to their shareholders. All I expect are ports and possibly teasers for games extremely early in development.

Star Wars: Squadrons
EA revealed Star Wars: Squadrons on Monday. The publisher confirmed that it is a multiplayer space-combat game that also comes with a single-player campaign. But Squadrons’ $40 price should also tell you the scope that developer EA Motive is going for with this one.

On Thursday, EA will provide the first look at Star Wars: Squadrons gameplay. This should give fans an even better understanding of what to expect before the October 2 release date.

Apex Legends
Apex Legends is still one of EA’s biggest games, and it should get some news at EA Play. Expect the battle royale shooter to get crossplay. This will come in time to ensure that the next-gen systems have plenty of players when they launch this fall. It’s also possible that developer Respawn will announce upgrades for Apex Legends for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

What about EA on Nintendo Switch?
During a recent conference call with investors, EA noted that it was looking more seriously at supporting the Switch. That could take many forms. But at the very least, it should mean Apex Legends making the leap to the Nintendo hybrid home console/handheld.

I would like to see EA shadow-drop some older games on the Switch, but who knows how much work that entails. A game like Apex Legends could make money for years, though.

EA Sports
EA has already committed to dropping new versions of its three annual sports franchises. Expect the company to take some time to cover FIFA, Madden NFL, and NHL. It might not do that during the main EA Play show, but it’ll likely have a showcase at some point that day.

EA Sports has four releases coming this year, though. So, what is the mystery game?

It’s not Fight Night, and it’s not NBA Live. The company is working to bring that series back because it is getting tired of falling so far behind NBA 2K. And the NBA Live team may even try to mess around with different business models.

It’s also not an EA golf game — although that is also in development.

Instead, EA is headed to Dana White’s fight island (or UF-Sea). Expect a new UFC game to show up at EA Play in some form.

BioWare
One major question mark is BioWare. That studio is working on Dragon Age 4. Another BioWare team is rebooting Anthem. And EA has a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster in production. We could see all of that, or we could see nothing from BioWare.

The Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster is coming this year, but EA may want to leave that out of its Not E3 presence. It’s unlikely that Dragon Age 4 or Anthem 2.0 are coming any time soon. And if those aren’t ready, maybe EA is happy to let BioWare sit this one out.

EA Originals
To fill out its lineup, EA is still running its Original program. This is essentially EA’s take on publishing indie games. The publisher should turn heavily into this effort to help support its release lineup while studios like BioWare reload. This should mean three or four EA Originals at the Play event.

Those include a new game co-op game from A Way Out developer Hazelight Studios. Fe developer Zoink should also show up with its fantasy game Lost In Random. And EA previously announced a partnership with Velan Studios. Former Vicarious Visions executives founded that company, and they will likely have something to show at EA Play as well.

Battlefield 6, Medal of Honor VR, and more?
What about the rest of EA’s lineup? It might finally show Respawn’s Medal of Honor VR game for Oculus, but Battlefield 6 is still far enough off that it shouldn’t make an appearance here. DICE is certainly working on a return to modern-combat for that series, but EA doesn’t want to show it off yet.

Beyond that, EA should have at least one surprise in store. But you’ll have to watch to discover that one.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

I feel the opposite of this article on BioWare, I think they will probably show ME Remaster, show Next Gen anthem 2.0, and probably give a little DA:4 tease, like the one from last 2018. EA wants to have a big show for next gen I would think.

VALCON 82

hey didn't we get a live demo battle of command and conquer last year that lasted for like eight minutes or something? thats all i remember... that and that big damn FIFA trophy that guy had on stage ...my mouth just started watering all over again thinking of that on next gen!

Isn't the Dead Space writer's next game teased for this event? Or am I mixing shit up again?

Maybe not next-gen exclusives but cross-gen games coming to PS5 and XsX will surely be on display, right?

You mean Anthony Johnston? He tweeted the day before the PS5's event, on June 10, that people should watch the PS5 event to see what he has been working on for the past 2 years. I watched the event multiple times, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what game he was referring to. If it didn't make the cut on the June 11 PS5 event, then maybe it will be on the EA event tomorrow, so we'll see. Good call.

Dthomp

I'd expect remasters and sports titles. Sports are easy to just throw up a beautiful CG video for whatever story mode they shoehorn in without showing any gameplay. I'd assume like the PS4/XB1 launch most of the sports titles will basically be ports of this gen gameplay wise

Top Bottom