• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we expect The Elder Scrolls VI to take full advantage of the Xbox Series X hardware?

bender

What time is it?
petehines_3351739b_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

Dolomite

If MS and Dirt 5 devs aren't straight up lying then yeah.
From what I've read the X/S GDK is one and the same for initial coding. Optimization, rez,fps and AI calcs can be scaled after the fact.
So develop a balls to the walls fry my Series X please Skyrim first then strip all the bells and whistles for the XSS after I suppose?

Dolomite

I really hope Bethesda does not intend to limit the PC version graphically, due to this development - I can't imagine they would. But the fact is, Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind were Tailored for PC and ported to consoles (and they did a great job in most cases). I hope that remains true moving forward.
I don't see why they would. MSFS launched on PC built from the ground up on PC with knowledge of a next gen release down the line. Still maxed out the best cards you can buy today

anothertech

here is what we know

it will be broken at launch
it will receive praise and lots of 10's
they will announce fixes are on the way
a tweet about record number of users
nothing new will be in the game a huge open world of the same
patches will be done and the game will still be broke yrs later
You forgot 0 sales numbers

Dolomite

here is what we know

it will be broken at launch
it will receive praise and lots of 10's
they will announce fixes are on the way
a tweet about record number of users
nothing new will be in the game a huge open world of the same
patches will be done and the game will still be broke yrs later
Who hurt you lmao. All true though

Do Bethesda games usually run great on consoles? Are they usually heavily optimized for any platform, or pretty much run like shit, full of jank and bugs? 🤔

Or are they made with low effort, to run on anything for years to come? Of course, all that could change, but why would it?

How many games were heavily optimized to take advantage of the Xbox One X for example? The best looking PS4 games were hugely more impressive graphically than anything released on Xbox, despite having weaker hardware.

So I'd say that isn't a priority for Microsoft, optimizing for one single console. Well, obviously not considering their recent strategy with XSX and what not..

I expect all Bethesda games to be as they always have been. Built for a wide range of hardware, thus unimpressive technically and graphically.

That's the whole point for Microsoft, yes? To make games avaliable for as many players as possible with Gamepass, on Xbox Series and PC with all the consequences it brings. I think it's shit, but there it is.

Microsoft sure bought themselves a Gamepass seller, that's for sure. But I wouldn't expect much to change for Bethesda.

Last edited:

Redefine07

No it won't take since will run on same engine as Oblivion did. And Series S and One S/X will hold them back. Just PC with mods will be the future of next Elder Scrolls if they allow mods.

Saber

Gold Member
Performance is the least of your problems.

I think its better you guys start praying the game is not full of bugs and glitches.

I don't see why they would. MSFS launched on PC built from the ground up on PC with knowledge of a next gen release down the line. Still maxed out the best cards you can buy today
Skyrim was only out for around a year before a card could maintain 60-70 fps on highest settings, but it was obvious the console port's (360, ps3) though they looked great - were greatly impaired due to the nature of console port's when compared to PC's at high end settings. So hopefully this remains true and PC variant's are unfettered cutting edge pieces of technology that make PC gamers want and need to upgrade a year later.

Last edited:
"All new rendering, lighting and landscape technology, it allows us to have sixteen times the detail, and even view distant weather systems across the map.”

Woo-Fu

Banned
Has an Elder Scrolls title ever taken full advantage of any hardware? I think the last time that happened we were gaming on abacus.

Yeah because Skyrim didn't make nearly all High End PC's struggle to hit 45 FPS at highest quality, nor did oblivion or morrowind.

Oh wait, all 3 did. except Skyrim quickly had a card on the market within release that allowed for a solid average of 60 fps.

Morrowind ran abysmal for years with FOG, Oblivion was in the same situation, ran terrible at ULTRA setting's particularly once patched so all the graphical element's actually worked.

Last edited:
Do we mean:

"Only xsex version"

Vs

"Must work on slow older gaming PCs with hdd+current gen specs, series s and series x"

If yes, then no, it wont fully utilize xsex like it would in situation where 100% of resources is used to one version without having to care about old hardware

And if Bethesda is now 1st party, it must work on xbox one too

Matt_Fox

If Bethesda are just working within the Xbox/PC ecosystem and don't have to worry about creating PlayStation and Switch ports then that's a time saver, and good news for those who want Elder Scrolls and Starfield sooner rather than later.

Humdinger

I don't think so, no. It will be held back by that hoary old engine they won't let go of.

It'll still be a great, immersive experience, though. At least, that's what I'm expecting.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Bethesda to their TES team:

“Surprise! Your next-gen game has to run on 8GB and 4TF!”

On the plus side this may force them to implement smarter SSD streaming solutions to deal with the RAM limitation, and we all get to benefit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom