• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can u think of a time when u rooted for a sports team that u usually hated?

pramod

Banned
One prime example for me was the 2013 Lakers. I always hated the Lakers being from Norcal but that year they were so bad despite all the talent, it was entertaining to watch the train wreck. But I also liked Steve Nash and Mike Dantoni so I was actually rooting for them to have some success. If Nash was able to finally win a ring with the Lakers that year it would have been cool, the dude deserved a ring.

pramod

Banned
Sure. Sometimes hated rivals winning helps your team’s resume/playoff chances. I do it all the time during the NFL season.
Yeah I guess that's pretty common when for some games you were rooting for a hated team but for me I was rooting for the Lakers that whole season, I guess I was just a huge Steve Nash fan.

Never, so the idea of a SF Giants vs NY Yankees World Series is so repugnant that I'd actually consider getting drunk for the first time.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I am a Packers fan and I rooted for the Bears this season because Justin Fields seems like a good kid and has potential.

Too bad Nagy is fucking useless.

Quasicat

I literally don’t care at all about professional sports, but I followed the Washington Whatevers because I had a former student that played for them. Now he plays for the New York Giants, so now I follow what they do. It’s not that I hate them, it’s just that I don’t care unless someone I know is involved.

MastAndo

I'm a die-hard Mets fan, so I'll root for any team playing the Yankees even if I normally despise them. It's petty, but just the result of growing up surrounded by obnoxious Yankee fans.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I rooted for France in the 1998 FIFA World Cup finals.
But that”s just because I hate Brasil more.

(France was great that night!)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The only sports team I hate is Aston Villa. I'd rather slice my dick down the middle with a rusty razor blade and rub salt and vinegar into the wound than wish them any success.

*Nightwing

Actually hopped arsenal would beat man city

Now I feel dirty on top of used and disappointed just like every boy used by “insert city player here”

Narasumas

Yeah, last night. I can’t stand Georgia OR Michigan….but you root for the lesser of two evils in that situation.

T8SC

Whenever Liverpool play City ...

I hate Liverpool more, only because most people I know support Liverpool and spam constant shit when they win.

i support rangers fc and you will never ever catch me supporting celtic fc. there are other teams i don't like but not as much as celtic. no matter who they are playing i will always support the other team. our biggest rivals apart from celtic are aberdeen. can't stand that lot but i'd rather they win than celtic. it's always fun watching celtic get beat.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Boston Bruins.

I like Leafs and my bro likes Habs. He hates Bruins much longer as they've been at it since the the beginning. Leafs/Bruins only heated up the past 10 years.

But we both rooted for them against Vancouver in the finals 10 ago. The fans go ape shit rioting and burning shit downtown when they lose. Unlikeable team and fanbase. No other Canadian team's fanbase goes nuts like this when they lose in the finals.

Also the city that booed Team Canada in the 1972 summit series.

Last edited:
I was rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles to beat Washington last season. The Redskins were a lock to win the NFC East, but had they lost against Philly then my New York Giants would have made the playoffs due to the team records. Philly knew about this and even though they weren’t making the postseason due to being dead last in the division, they wanted to spoil our fun too by putting in Nate Sudfeld than Jaleb Hurts at QB.

teezzy

Banned
Yeah, last night. I can’t stand Georgia OR Michigan….but you root for the lesser of two evils in that situation.

8 mile middle finger GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Boston Bruins.

I like Leafs and my bro likes Habs. He hates Bruins much longer as they've been at it since the the beginning. Leafs/Bruins only heated up the past 10 years.

But we both rooted for them against Vancouver in the finals 10 ago. The fans go ape shit rioting and burning shit downtown when they lose. Unlikeable team and fanbase. No other Canadian team's fanbase goes nuts like this when they lose in the finals.

Also the city that booed Team Canada in the 1972 summit series.

Was at a couple of games in Boston for that final. Vancouver, the Canadian LA. 🤣

As per topic, I rooted for the Yankees and the Jets to beat certain teams over the decades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom