• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can PlayStation be put out of Business?

Can PlayStation be put out of Business

• "Hehehe evil maniacal laugh from Phil followed by this is the greatest day of my life in his voice"

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Can you please let us live and enjoy the games from PlayStation, it hurts so much :(

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • PlayStation will continue to thrive and push the industry forwards

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • I think Sony needs to join hands with Xbox in a few years down the line, there's no other way

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Thanos(Xbox) has the infinity gauntlet with all the stones, you just can't challenge him/them

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Can I pre order a PS5 please :(

Votes: 16 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Phil said in an interview several months back that Sony is no long their competitor. What he meant was if Xbox acquires every major publisher/developer, Sony would pose no challenge and thus would make Sony irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. With Microsoft's recent acquisition of Bethesda, there's no reason to put games on PlayStation going forward since Xbox can have their games on Xbox and PC for their returns. Satya Nadella has said they will look for more studio/publisher acquisitions, so say Activision, Capcom, EA & Ubisoft Join the Xbox Family. Isn't it literally game over for the competition? Sony wouldn't get a single game from these publishers/devs and sony would just be the company where you only get to play the First party exclusives and that's pretty much it. I know this sounds doom and gloom but couldn't this become a reality in the near future :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It’s a company, so the answer is always yes.

Will it happen though? No.

Nico_D

wG2TZy2.gif

teezzy

Banned
Sony are the old guard of the traditional console philosophy at this point. if they die, then we have Nintendo being weird and Microsoft pushing for GaaS.

I'm not excited for PS5, nor am I the biggest fan of their console output post-PS2... but I'd be let down if Sony ever called it quits. They're the last of a dying breed.

Rayderism

I figure XBOX will disappear before Playstation or Nintendo ever will.....not that I figure XBOX is going away any time soon.

I could see gamepass coming to ps5 at some time.
I have seen a few people saying this and it will neeeeeeeever everrrrrrrrrr happen.

Why would Sony put Gamepass on their consoles when not only does that money go to MS but with Gamepass being what it is offering the games it does it would cost Sony all that money from people not buying the games from them?

And Xbox can push the narrative that Sony just won't allow it as Playstation fans clamor for it for good PR knowing 100% that no matter how loud the outcry is Sony wont give up those game sales.

Kerotan

I could see gamepass coming to ps5 at some time.
If Sony got a 30% cut of all gamepass revenue through the ps5 they'd make more profit from the service then MS.

GP is already a giant money sinkhole I don't think MS want to be giving a big cut of the revenue to anybody else.

turtlepowa

Banned
Ps5 pre-orders vanishing in 3h worldwide while you can still easily find XSX/XSS anywhere in EU says NO.
X is sold out nearly everywhere, we don't know the numbers both had, but Microsoft started production earlier. Also we don't know the S to X ratio, but i think it's much higher than the rumored <20% from Sony and of course early adopters are going mainly for the X and normal PS5.

nowhat

but Microsoft started production earlier
Did they, though? Why is it that we haven't pretty much seen no footage running on actual hardware? I'm not doubting (some) people will get an actual Series X/S later on this year, but to me it seems MS has been struggling quite a bit at least with the dev kits.

turtlepowa

Banned
Did they, though? Why is it that we haven't pretty much seen no footage running on actual hardware? I'm not doubting (some) people will get an actual Series X/S later on this year, but to me it seems MS has been struggling quite a bit at least with the dev kits.
They started in May. Series X showed no games running on it, but i still don't know how the Ps5 looks from inside and what's up exactly with that variable frequency.

MrS

Banned
People don’t want an Xbox. I would sooner turn to pc gaming than buy an Xbox. At this point everybodies allegiances are set in stone.

nowhat

They started in May. Series X showed no games running on it, but i still don't know how the Ps5 looks from inside and what's up exactly with that variable frequency.
...and yet, you've seen what the games will look like running on actual hardware. Personally, that's better than seeing a CGI breakdown of the hardware.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
...and yet, you've seen what the games will look like running on actual hardware. Personally, that's better than seeing a CGI breakdown of the hardware.
Do you doubt that it can run any games or what? It's very similar to Ps5, just stronger and devs already confirmed resolution and fps for games, so i'm confident that i can play some games on it in november :messenger_beaming:

Sweep14

I have no doubt that SIE will take any required measure if they anticipate difficulties, be it a merger, be it an external expansion, be it an alliance.

shubik

Jesus GAF, get your shit together. The forum sounds more and more like some wet dream from Xbox fanboys since the acquisition. Enjoy the move by Microsoft and stop pretending like this is SONY´s downfall. You sound insane.

nowhat

Do you doubt that it can run any games or what?
I don't. Just that I value actual gameplay footage more than a CGI breakdown of the hardware. I, really, don't care at all about the internals (other than noise level) as it is a console, it's not like I'm going to be upgrading the components.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
You sony boys are trying too hard.

MS had a big win the other day, deal with it.
I don't know who is trying harder at the moment..
There is more talk about Sony dying soon than what this aquisition will do for Microsoft. People should relax, after all, intense competition should be good for all of us.

turtlepowa

Banned
I don't. Just that I value actual gameplay footage more than a CGI breakdown of the hardware. I, really, don't care at all about the internals (other than noise level) as it is a console, it's not like I'm going to be upgrading the components.
The noise level is the main reasons why i'm interested in the cooling system, fan size/speed and variable frequency.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Imagine GAF if there was no XBOX/Playstation war.

These companies within their corporations aren’t going anywhere. We will continue to have threads like these for years and years to come.

Any business can theoretically be put out of business.

In the case of an extraordinarily popular business like PlayStation, taking them out would take a massive effort on so many fronts that it would take no less than a decade before you made progress. And even that 'progress' would require everything to go right for Xbox and everything to go wrong for PlayStation; which just isn't going to happen under the current leadership and staffing of both companies. The PS3, for as much uncertainty as it caused and for as big of a financial mess as it was at launch, couldn't even do it and ultimately ended up outselling the Xbox 360. To word that differently, the best selling Xbox was outsold by the worst selling PlayStation. That should tell you how difficult it is to go up against a successful business.

So what a company like Microsoft would need to do is spend a tremendous amount of resources to kill PlayStation's hardware business, PlayStation's development and publishing business, and PlayStation's online and digital business... and they would need to do this in every country that sells a PlayStation... and they would need to do this while going up against the parent company (Sony) that won't let their most profitable business go down without exploring every possible avenue to stay alive... and they would need to do this all the while hoping that one of those avenues isn't appealing to the government of Japan to intervene for the sake of 'protecting national interests' which is really just a "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours", usually in the form of really creative accounting by paying more taxes.

Basically, it would be a suicide run on Microsoft's part. The amount of resources that they would have to give up to effectively become the only player in the videogame business would be so large -- significantly larger than $7.5B -- that it would probably make more business sense to pivot Xbox into something else entirely (e.g. a subscription service) instead of taking on and trying to eliminate one of the console makers. Microsoft would need to buy every major publisher and developer (aka companies that make a shitload of money through PlayStation) and then some. That's a pretty big investment for a company with finite resources.

First off the people not wanting an Xbox is a garbage take. It wasnt too long ago when the 360 was right there or besting PS3. Market is not set in stone or concrete and may be expanding, especially with Covid. I think we've just witnessed a fundamental shift. MS can possible drive hardware sells with software in a way that has never been seen before imo.

Now Sony: I dont think MS sees them as competition anymore. Arent MS even helping Sony build their cloud computing backbone or is that off. Google, Apple etc Amazon is the real threat. Quite Frankly its fun to play gaming wars, but Sony doesn't even have the money. They are big in gaming. insurance, but are small fish in a much larger pond. I honestly think Sony and Nintendo are seen as Allies. Moreso than Apple, Amazon and Google to MS.

I think MS would buy Sony before they faded into oblivion. I really dont see any change for the foreseeable future. I do think if I was Sony I'd be talking to MS about a PSN/GAMEPASS FOR PLAYSTATION. I honestly think the war is over, if you like these companys wish for synergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom