• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I Get Tips n Visual Novels?

Raging Loop on Switch is fantastic, and has the best waifu ever. I don't want to talk about the story because it shifts a lot, but if the first branch feels boring do not give up on it.

I've seen people recommend the Death Mark games. I've played the first around Halloween, and it was decent, if really short. I have a weird pet peeve about games having meaningless stats and shit, and the game has a completely unused RPG element that feels like it could have been interesting. If you play it on Switch, DO NOT LET IT UPDATE. It will censor the final chapter permanently and remove something appropriately fucked up.

On (3)DS, the Hotel Dusk games are classics up there with the AA and Nonary Games series. Does Ghost Trick count as a VN? If so, or if not, I also recommend it.

BTW, 999 must be played on the DS. This is critical to its experience, IMO.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

GyMuubS.jpg

(edited cause @Guilty_AI requested it)

lol game is shit. Muv Luv is ok though. (chomp)

This one was ok OP.
(vita version is excellent)
seek help

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I just spent nearly $80 on two Vita games in the year 2021 so you better be right!!!!!

I sadly can't tell you why without spoling anything, all I can say is once you playing Alternative and it sinks in what they have done with the first game, you will realise what utter genius the story is.

I would be greatly suprised if in the end you regret this.

Last edited:

Serianox

Pyre from Supergiant games is a really nice combo of gameplay and vn aspects but the game part can take a bit until it starts to make sense. Hotel Dusk and Last Window on the DS area really good and i highly recommend going through the Utawarerumono games, maybe wait until the remake of the original comes out to start the series since that's probably the best starting point. MuvLuv Alternative was recommended but it can be a bit jarring to play it since it really benefits from playing the original MuvLuv to get acquainted with the characters but that's a straight up dating sim so i can be a bit of a turn off but if you can power through it it's a great vn.

Magos Librorum

Neo Member
less on romance or "get all the girls" novels. As little creepiness as possible is a plus.
Well that excludes a large amount of VNs with good story lol.

Here are my recommendations, titles that english version exist:
planetarian (No gameplay but very short anyway)
BALDR SKY (Dive1,2 and maybe X, steam version contains Dive1,2)
Utawarerumono series
Muv-Luv (UNLIMITED and ALTERNATIVE, you can ctrl skip EXTRA if you want)

Japanese only unfortunately:
Tears to Tiara (Earth's Wreath and Side Story, you can skip the PC original, but that one has english fan patch so.... 2 is ok)
BALDR SKY Zero, Zero2 (If you like Dive's world then you really should play it. Zero is not that good on its own but you have to play it for the masterpiece Zero2)

cireza

OP wants to avoid creepy stuff and people keep recommending MUV LUV ? These novels literally have naked girls all around the place because REASONS :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I fell in the trap and read these, I laughed at the Initial-D joke, but felt like I lost tenths of hours of my life otherwise.

Steins Gate + Zero and House in Fata Morgana are much better picks that's for sure. VA-11 Hall-A looks pretty good as well, only started it though.
I also have Hotel Dusk to play (but that's on DS).

Snatcher on Sega-CD is a great VN. You can also check Policenauts on PS1 or Saturn (with English patch).

Also started Robotics:Notes on Switch, but it did not click yet. It fits your criteria though.

Adding Raging Loop and Last Window on my list, thanks to the recommendations in this thread.

Last edited:
It doesn't have gameplay but Fault:Milestone series is pretty great little visual novel on pc/switch/ps4 (iirc) and that has pretty much 0 creepy stuff

Top Bottom