• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone sell me on Persona 5 Royal or is it a straight up cash grab?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Right, but now that they've done it twice...I just think the more times they repeat that pattern the more they risk people refusing to buy the vanilla edition.

Personally, I enjoy replaying a beloved game, but I really don't like the idea of buying a game knowing that in a few short years I may as well throw it in the trash. If the upgraded version was just a resolution bump or something I wouldn't be bothered, but there's no way I'd be able to still enjoy playing the vanilla game knowing the vastly better edition is out there.

After P6 delays and stuff, my reaction will probably be "I've waited this long, what's a few more years to play the real version of this game?"

Just...really not a fan of this practice from Atlus. It puts players in a super awkward spot.
Nah, Atlus fans will buy literally anything again if it adds (one) waifu and some QOL improvements.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Right, but now that they've done it twice...I just think the more times they repeat that pattern the more they risk people refusing to buy the vanilla edition.

Personally, I enjoy replaying a beloved game, but I really don't like the idea of buying a game knowing that in a few short years I may as well throw it in the trash. If the upgraded version was just a resolution bump or something I wouldn't be bothered, but there's no way I'd be able to still enjoy playing the vanilla game knowing the vastly better edition is out there.

After P6 delays and stuff, my reaction will probably be "I've waited this long, what's a few more years to play the real version of this game?"

Just...really not a fan of this practice from Atlus. It puts players in a super awkward spot.
Yeah you are right with that. I more or less had that feeling during my playthrough of the vanilla version but, in the end, the game was so nice that the feeling went away quickly.

I don't like their practices either. Not only with Persona, for example SMT IV had a ton of DLC, even final bosses of the main story, which really sucks.

But Atlus gotta Atlus... So sadly I don't see those kinda practices going away. ú_ù

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I finished the Original version back on its release (my 2nd Persona game after 4 Golden on Vita) and aside from not including Royal as a DLC (paid or not) seems scummy on Atlus' part

However I noticed it was currently half price and wondering if the added content and QoL features were worth it, especially on a PS5 now
I've been in the same situation as you, I started with 4 golden then finished Persona 5 when it came out.
I had a few buck to spare and bought Persona 5 Royale on sale about a week ago and I have no regrets.
They've added so much things that I can't list them, it almost feels like a new opus.
I guess ymmv but it was absolutely great for me and it hooked me again, and you'll notice a lot of differences even really early in the game.

killatopak

One of my goty candidates. The other being FF7.

The only real problem I had with Atlus is the absurdly expensive DLCs their games have. Fortunately, I got the Ultimate Edition with all the DLCs at 50% off with the recent sale. For someone who bought it at release though, I feel bad for them cause I don’t think there’s an individual sale for the DLCs. They only have discounts for the whole bundle with the game included.

Shouta

They've done it 3 times. Persona 3 got a Fes edition later in Japan. It's just that the US got Fes edition automatically for the US release.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They've done it 3 times. Persona 3 got a Fes edition later in Japan. It's just that the US got Fes edition automatically for the US release.
They actually done this with SMTIII Nocturne (twice one Maniax which feature Dante and another JP exclusive that featured Raidou Kuzunoha), SMT Strange Journey Redux, Catherine Full Body and Tokyo Mirage Session#FE Encore.

Shouta

They actually done this with SMTIII Nocturne (twice one Maniax which feature Dante and another JP exclusive that featured Raidou Kuzunoha), SMT Strange Journey Redux, Catherine Full Body and Tokyo Mirage Session#FE Encore.
Yeah, there's that too. It's just at least for Persona, it's 3 times lol

K.S v2.0

Banned
What scares me is...what happens when Persona 6 comes and people are tired of being burnt by buying the initial game that becomes obsolete in a few years? Enough people hold off on buying P6 Vanilla and Atlus quietly concludes that since P6 didn't sell they won't bother to redo it. So we're left waiting to play a "best version" that never arrives.

Well, no real fear of that actually happening.

There's always going to be 'infl00encers' who buy day 1 coz they're not cool enuf to get free copies. There's the fanboy crowd who'll buy Day 1 no matter what... there's those who think its NOT COOL if you're not in Day 1, etc etc etc...

No shortage of consumerist sheep in this day and age to keep the companies justified in their shitty business practices. Let them pay to beta test.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
One of my goty candidates. The other being FF7.

The only real problem I had with Atlus is the absurdly expensive DLCs their games have. Fortunately, I got the Ultimate Edition with all the DLCs at 50% off with the recent sale. For someone who bought it at release though, I feel bad for them cause I don’t think there’s an individual sale for the DLCs. They only have discounts for the whole bundle with the game included.
Wasn't R like piss easy?

borborygmus

Some of P4 Golden's additions are criminal and break the story. I hate that the "definitive" editions introduce retcons. Why can't they just add post-game content instead of shitting on the vanilla version?

Last edited:

SCB3

Wasn't R like piss easy?

FF7R?

It wasn't the hardest on normal, a couple of challenges here and there (and trial and error if you use the wrong Materia for some fights)

But on Hard it was brutal, no items allowed in fights, more enemies, everything is Tanky as fuck

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
FF7R?

It wasn't the hardest on normal, a couple of challenges here and there (and trial and error if you use the wrong Materia for some fights)

But on Hard it was brutal, no items allowed in fights, more enemies, everything is Tanky as fuck
Royal.

Blond

Banned
I don't think there is ever going be a PS5 version, but you can just get physical version of PS4 box and play it on PS5. Also as much as I adore the art style and visual design, the graphics is no technical marvel.

Persona 5 was always a PS3 game that also released on PS4 and P5Royal is no different.
On the plus side, it’s native 4k

SkylineRKR

Royal is one of the best upgrades I have ever played.

Its 4k (dunno if its native, probably not), it loads faster also. On top of that the game is much more fun, with mementos serving more use, palaces being better paced, fun additions to the combat and good changes to the social links (you can baton pass straight away, I think). Its also a much easier game if you use all new perks and accessories, but I didn't mind. They made a lot of QoL tweaks so that Morgana won't send you to bed as often and you have more time to max social links and stats. Its just more fun and I recommend Merciless. It speeds up the combat and forces you to exploit weaknesses and watch your own.

I bought Royal before FFVII R, first beat FFVII R and then played Royal. I had much more fun with it than with FFVII, its one of the best games of the year easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom