• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can an 11/10 game turns a console around?

Can 11/10 game turn console around?

• Yes

Votes: 72 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 67 40.6%
  • maybes so

Votes: 29 17.6%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I tinks it can this is what is known in the industries as a killer app

how has Phil not heard of this? Halo Combat Evolved puts Xbox onto the maps

TLOU at the ends of the PS3 made PS4s a superstars when the remasters came
BOTW was the onlys game at E3s for Nintendo and made Switch skyrockets
N64 would have been Gamecube without Mario 64

How can you have a gabazillion dollars and still not makes ones?

Schmendrick

Why do you write like you had a stroke and now believe you're a Rastafari with a speech impediment.

Banjo64

cumsessed
There’s a lot of factors that come in to play. Xbox were riding a high at the very start of the generation with backwards compatibility, lower prices and smart delivery. The time to strike with bangers was then. They needed to release 1, 2, 3 or 4 unbelievable games that had normies talking like Halo 3 and Gears back in the day. Now the PS5 has insurmountable hype behind it, there’s pretty much no hope for this gen IMO.

feynoob

Banned
A game cant turn a reputation of a console around.
Xbox needs consistent release. If they can time their games, it could change their situation.

So starfield being 11/10 will only change the needle little bit. They still need to restore the trust of the console.

Their userbase have been without AAA game for almost 15 months.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You can sell a 10/10 game, but only 10,000 players like it, its pointless.

if you sell a 5/10 game but 1000000 players like it, then its another story.

Niche games dont sell, regardless of the review score.

GHG

Gold Member
It doesn't happen with one single game, that's not enough, consistent delivery is required as we've seen from Nintendo throughout the Switch generation and Sony with the latter years of the PS3 (which they then carried through to the PS4).

But delivering excellence on a consistent basis is hard and Phil clearly hasn't got the minerals for it so he's making excuses.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Why do you write like you had a stroke and now believe you're a Rastafari with a speech impediment.
giphy.gif

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Games like Tetris or Pokemon can change a generation. Games that change the industry do exist even now. So yes, a 11/10 game can turn a console around. But it have to be a real game changer. Not a sequel of a 20 years old IP. Not a free to play game. But something like Star Citizen, if the hype around it was reality: a game with peerless graphics, being as good as a MMO than it is as a single player game, and with basically a Minecraft level of freedom( FPS,ship simulator and all the other gameplay loops possibe and imaginable). A unicorn.
Or Fable/ Spore equivalent with AI to make the game closer to your interests with time. Can't exist with our tech yes, but we can dream.
But this is for "winning" a console gen. If it is just to stay relevant, then the requirements get a lot less hard to obtain. A good enough game can absolutely put faith in a console. To make you think I want more of this. A Ico moment.
But more than one is better of course.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes. But it usually takes a consistent stream of high-quality games -- especially if your competitors release 10/10 bangers after bangers.

Wildebeest

Games like Halo and Wii Sports were launch titles. I feel like it is very hard for consoles to recover from a bad launch, as people have already emotionally made up their mind about the quality of the system and have "buy in" bias into a competitor. The exception to this is the Sony bad launch, where a system seems more exclusive because they can't get it onto shelves.

CashPrizes

Depends on how bad it is failing. Like if the 3DO or the Jaguar 3 years in got a 11/10 game, it would not matter. word of mouth and existing library are so bad, and most stores wouldn't even be carrying those consoles 3 years in to their lifespans.

For something like the Series X, I think an 11/10 game could really help get them to parity.

I bought an N64 soley for Ocarina of Time, I did not even buy another game for the system (except Castlevania 64 which sucked). Not that it needed saving, but just goes to show people will buy a console for just 1 game if it is good enough.

Chastten

Banned
Halo might've put Xbox on the map, it was the stream of quality FPS and Western games that followed Halo that kept it on the map.
Super Mario 64 might've stolen the spotlights upon release, but without Zelda, GoldenEye, Banjo Kazooie and a few others, it would've been a GameCube anyways (not that the sales numbers of the two were THAT different, but whatever, you made the comparison)
The Last of Us didn't make the PS4 a superstar. It was Sony doing everything right, while the competitors did everything wrong around that time, essentially leaving them with no competition.
And while BotW was definitely a highlight for Switch's first year, without Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Xenoblade and several others, sales would've nosedived just as quickly.

A single fantastic 11/10 game won't save a console. You need a constant stream of good to great games to go along with it.

Xbox can still be OK. They just need to release consistent big hitters. It’s how PS3 came back and although there are other factors these days, this will help Xbox find some success.

feynoob

Banned
It doesn't happen with one single game, that's not enough, consistent delivery is required as we've seen from Nintendo throughout the Switch generation and Sony with the latter years of the PS3 (which they then carried through to the PS4).

But delivering excellence on a consistent basis is hard and Phil clearly hasn't got the minerals for it so he's making excuses.
He has it. But he got them so late to the game.

The pipeline has good to great games. But their release schedule is too far away. 2023-2025 period is too long.

Had he purchased them 2-3 years early, it could have been a different talk.

The timing is a key.

Braag

No. At least not for me. I'm not gonna run an buy a new system for any game really. I'll stick to the platform of my choice.
But for some, it might I guess.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
No, not even a few of them can.

The WiiU had some absolutely bangers in its arsenal. Doesn't mean the console wasn't a failure.
Wii U was a Frankensteins of consoles thoughs children would probubbly get beat up a school if they got one

ZoolNL

Nope, it didn’t work for the Atari Jaguar, WiiU, PSVita et cetera.

I do think it’s all about marketing; not having the best games perse.

feynoob

Banned
To the naysayers. Imagine if half life 3 was an Xbox exclusive and was incredible. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t go and buy Xbox in an instant.
That game is going to be PC exclusive only. Don't put consoles next to it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wii U was a Frankensteins of consoles thoughs children would probubbly get beat up a school if they got one

Exactly; SM3DW, Smash, Bayo 2, MK8, Tropical Freeze, Mario Maker, Pikmin 3 couldn't save it.

mrmustard

Banned
If you spend >100 million on marketing per game like Sony you can sell consoles with a game.
If you are Nintendo you can sell consoles with a game without marketing.
If you have Pc Game Pass and xCloud you don't sell too many consoles with a game.

TLZ

Banned

What happened to your Englishes?

Yoboman

Yes, you need to keep the hits coming though

Uncharted 2 completely changed the course of Sony's reputation with first party. Previously not really respected, topping out in the mid 80s at best

Halo saved Xbox. Gears out Xbox 360 on the path to success

But you need to keep the quality coming or people will forget quickly

I'd argue that users both casual and hardcore are far far more aware of scores and perceived quality than ever before. So it's more important now than it ever has been

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Something like Zelda levels of quality can sell a console, but they ae so rare I wouldnt say this exists for many titles at all.

I suppose any game can be a system seller for someone, but consistency and nailing a broad range of those types of games is what works outside of those freak titles imo.

Lasha

Not much chance given the switching costs of moving between functionally identical platforms for most players. Nintendo survives because people buy consoles to play Nintendo games. People buy and Xbox or PS to mostly play FIFA/cod/Madden/Fortnite.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
BOTW is a Wii U game, case in point.

Sure, but I'd excluded it given it came out day and date with their next hardware, so the battle was already lost.

feynoob

Banned
I asked chatgpt about your question.

Apologies for the misunderstanding. In terms of games, here are a few areas Xbox could focus on to improve their game offerings:

1. Engaging Storytelling: Xbox can invest in games with captivating narratives and deep storytelling. By emphasizing well-written plots, memorable characters, and immersive storytelling techniques, Xbox can create games that resonate with players on an emotional level. This can be achieved through collaboration with talented writers and narrative designers.

2. Gameplay Variety: Xbox should strive to offer a diverse range of gameplay experiences. This can include expanding into different genres, experimenting with new gameplay mechanics, and incorporating player choice and agency. By providing a variety of gameplay styles, Xbox can cater to different player preferences and attract a broader audience.

3. Enhanced Gameplay Mechanics: Xbox can focus on refining and enhancing gameplay mechanics to offer unique and engaging experiences. This can involve innovative combat systems, strategic decision-making, puzzle-solving mechanics, or physics-based interactions. By prioritizing tight and responsive gameplay mechanics, Xbox can create games that are enjoyable and satisfying to play.

4. Immersive Open Worlds: Xbox can invest in open-world games that provide expansive and immersive environments for players to explore. These worlds can be richly detailed, filled with dynamic NPCs, diverse quests, and meaningful player choices. A focus on world-building and creating a sense of discovery and exploration can greatly enhance the overall game experience.

5. Multiplayer and Cooperative Experiences: Xbox should continue to develop games that offer robust multiplayer and cooperative gameplay options. This can include competitive multiplayer modes, cooperative campaigns, and shared world experiences. Emphasizing strong online infrastructure and engaging multiplayer features can foster a vibrant and active player community.

6. Cutting-Edge Graphics and Visuals: Xbox can push the boundaries of graphical fidelity to deliver visually stunning games. By harnessing the power of the latest hardware, Xbox can create games with breathtaking graphics, realistic animations, and detailed environments. Immersive visuals can greatly enhance the overall gaming experience and attract players who value high-quality graphics.

7. Continued Support and Expansion: Xbox should focus on providing long-term support for their games through regular updates, expansions, and DLC content. This can extend the lifespan of games, keep players engaged, and foster a loyal community. Additionally, supporting modding communities can allow players to create and share their content, further enhancing the game's longevity.

By focusing on these aspects, Xbox can improve their game offerings and provide a compelling lineup of titles that attract customers and differentiate their console in the market.

I find that if I want to turn any console around, it's best to use hands, not games, as games could be damaged in the moving process

Doesn't really matter if they were good games or not. I guess old school nintendo cartridges could be used to turn consoles around, due to the build quality...

But hands are better

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I asked chatgpt about your question.

Apologies for the misunderstanding. In terms of games, here are a few areas Xbox could focus on to improve their game offerings:

1. Engaging Storytelling: Xbox can invest in games with captivating narratives and deep storytelling. By emphasizing well-written plots, memorable characters, and immersive storytelling techniques, Xbox can create games that resonate with players on an emotional level. This can be achieved through collaboration with talented writers and narrative designers.

2. Gameplay Variety: Xbox should strive to offer a diverse range of gameplay experiences. This can include expanding into different genres, experimenting with new gameplay mechanics, and incorporating player choice and agency. By providing a variety of gameplay styles, Xbox can cater to different player preferences and attract a broader audience.

3. Enhanced Gameplay Mechanics: Xbox can focus on refining and enhancing gameplay mechanics to offer unique and engaging experiences. This can involve innovative combat systems, strategic decision-making, puzzle-solving mechanics, or physics-based interactions. By prioritizing tight and responsive gameplay mechanics, Xbox can create games that are enjoyable and satisfying to play.

4. Immersive Open Worlds: Xbox can invest in open-world games that provide expansive and immersive environments for players to explore. These worlds can be richly detailed, filled with dynamic NPCs, diverse quests, and meaningful player choices. A focus on world-building and creating a sense of discovery and exploration can greatly enhance the overall game experience.

5. Multiplayer and Cooperative Experiences: Xbox should continue to develop games that offer robust multiplayer and cooperative gameplay options. This can include competitive multiplayer modes, cooperative campaigns, and shared world experiences. Emphasizing strong online infrastructure and engaging multiplayer features can foster a vibrant and active player community.

6. Cutting-Edge Graphics and Visuals: Xbox can push the boundaries of graphical fidelity to deliver visually stunning games. By harnessing the power of the latest hardware, Xbox can create games with breathtaking graphics, realistic animations, and detailed environments. Immersive visuals can greatly enhance the overall gaming experience and attract players who value high-quality graphics.

7. Continued Support and Expansion: Xbox should focus on providing long-term support for their games through regular updates, expansions, and DLC content. This can extend the lifespan of games, keep players engaged, and foster a loyal community. Additionally, supporting modding communities can allow players to create and share their content, further enhancing the game's longevity.

By focusing on these aspects, Xbox can improve their game offerings and provide a compelling lineup of titles that attract customers and differentiate their console in the market.
Proof MS should replace Phils with AI

v1jDao.gif

Top Bottom