• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can a designer "fix" the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... this is such a goddamn Verge article.

I don't think I can handle this hipness.

Zombine

Banned
What this offers is just a different way to digest the text that is within these books. I would say that this is a good idea regardless of what you think of the book itself.

Mariolee

bible-burning.jpg

There, fixed.

Similarly, this is how my brain is feeling reading this post.

Zombine

Banned
I'm atheist, so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the bible say if you try to change the words of the bible, sins you haven't done will be added to your list? lol

I think you're being a bit literal here. All this guy is doing is updating the language so it is easier for people to read. He's not adding a final battle with Jesus and Judas where they duel to the death. That is already in the Action Bible.

Mariolee

I think you're being a bit literal here. All this guy is doing is updating the language so it is easier for people to read. He's not adding a final battle with Jesus and Judas where they duel to the death. That is already in the Action Bible.

Pretty much.

Zombine

Banned
You're gonna need a lot more than that to fix the bible.

While I agree that there are people that use biblical passages to hide their own bigotry, I do think this book deserves to be read and studied and preserved for future generations (along with all the other religious texts.) I give a ton of credit to this guy to devote so much time to a book he wants to share with those who do have interest in the text to begin with. Yes, the book is far from perfect, but he's doing a good thing.

leading looks a little cramped with his sample page, but that's my preference. typography designers are uber dorks; its such a niche and fascinating field of study.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm atheist, so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the bible say if you try to change the words of the bible, sins you haven't done will be added to your list? lol
Nah, that's specifically toward people who add stuff to the bible.

Updating the language to no longer be 'thine old english' isn't mentioned.

Yagharek

I believe that was referring to the sin of rewriting the Bible in comic sans.

I dont personally have any fondness for the Bible, but I think it would also be a good idea to do this kind of thing to lots of old books that are important literary artifacts too. Things like writings from Renaissance authors, or the ancient Greek poets and no doubt many more things my uneducated literary mind does not know about.

Nah, that's specifically toward people who add stuff to the bible.

Updating the language to no longer be 'thine old english' isn't mentioned.

Though unless you can get a perfect 1:1 translation (which, I don't think really exists) something will be lost or maybe even added as modern words might have different connotations. Translations can add just as much as they can subtract. Even if the change is subtle.

Precisely.

I've decided to back a set for my fiancee and I to go through at some point after we move in together. Good stuff.

Liamario

Banned
Considering that there are so many variations of the bible out there, what makes this the one to own? Technically it looks impressive, but surely the content is far more important.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm atheist and I think this is pretty fucking snazzy. I may just check it out. I've always thought that [parts of] the bible are good readin'.

daveo42

Banned
Well I'm in for one set. I'm actually impressed by the sheer amount of work and detail going into this project and it seems like a pretty worthwhile investment, especially for those who want to read the bible more from a literary perspective and not from a theological one.

Zaptruder

Banned
As an atheist and a designer... all I can say is, wish I thought of this shit.

I'd love the ironic satisfaction of capitalising on commerically oriented christians.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Look's like he's hit his million dollar stretch goal, get ready for all that sweet Apocrypha.
His next stretch goal should be the Book of Mormon, lol

But seriously, ignoring the editing work he's doing, the visual design work looks amazing, especially the custom embossing/bookplates and the 12x12 prints.

Ordered a set for my mother; I showed her the video and kickstarter page and she was instantly interested. She's not huge on graphic design, but was still floored by the amount of detail going into the project. I'm agnostic and even I'm excited to look through them and appreciate the craftsmanship. Also man are those prints beautiful.

iamblades

He could just slap Helvetica all over it and call it a day.

Except Helvetica (and Sans typefaces in general) are absolute shit for long form reading.

For headers, logotypes, small magazine articles, sure, Helvetica is nice and clean, but for a book the size of the bible? There is a reason most books are still printed in Serif faces.

Also the grotesque family of sans typefaces is especially bad for body text IMO. There is a reason even places where sans type is predominant(like the web) have been moving to use humanist typefaces instead of Grotesque derived typefaces.

Justin

Bumping this two and a half year old thread to say I received mine yesterday and it is absolutely beautiful. The build and care that went into this is inspiring and was worth the two year delay.

Also the video of the books being made is pretty good.
https://vimeo.com/190010754

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom