• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Callisto Protocol will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 60-70%

• 70-80%

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 90-95%

• 95-100%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ulysses 31

I usually loves his reviews. He is my favorite reviewer of them all.

But I dont take his words as gospel. He didnt recomend TLOU Part II, and I consider that game one of the bests ever made.
I don't take anyone's word as gospel but it becomes more convincing with the video examples throughout the review.

The issues when fighting multiple enemies he points out in this game sound pretty damning.

tommib

giphy.gif
Thank You So Much GIF by euphoria

Hugare

I don't take anyone's word as gospel but it becomes more convincing with the video examples throughout the review.

The issues when fighting multiple enemies he points out in this game sound pretty damning.
And yet again, didnt we have the same problem with Dead Space?

What I think is happening is: game is more focused on melee during the beginning when you dont have many guns or other options. But players after playing for some hours and despite having more options, still think that the game wants them to focus on melee combat.

Trying to trade blows with a group of enemies is stupid.

tommib

Yeah, but it hurts to see shit like this, because it affects new games like this from being made

Not only that, but it must be a blow to the studio that made it to see such unfair criticism

Reviews such as that one from IGN that gave Alien Isolation a 5,9 is probably the reason we never got a sequel

Fucking Ryan McCaffrey. Hate that dude. Same guy who said that resolution doesnt matter and so many other shit.

And yet, he is an Executive Editor there.
It’s the evil within all over again. I saw this coming a mile away.

We got the game anyway and it has cult classic written all over it.

Flopped @ IGN with a 7
A game with a 7 is not a flop. Its not a good game, its mediocre.
A flop is a game with between 4.5 and lower.
I'am gonna buy it when the price will go down to about $15 to $20. And you dont have to be a Nostradamus that dont will take a long time.😉

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Ok this is my personal review so far, I played around 3-4 hours, highest difficulty.

1) Dodging mechanic is a bit too tight, I have no issue with dodging (most of the time) but i just hope the devs could widen the dodge invincibility frame a bit more.
You MUST dodge during the "starting phase" of the enemy strike, dodging during mid strike is not possible and its a guaranteed hit from the enemy.
2) Too many crawling in ducts and tight spaces, not a fan of that, its very slow.
3) Unable to backtrack in most of the places, have to manage inventory space very well :( (perhaps there is an inventory upgrade later?)
4) Overall controls feels heavy, personally wish it could be lighter.
5) Game is not scary for the most part for some reason.
6) Not a fan of heavily focused melee combat mechanic, wish there is a balance between melee and range, melee seems to be 70%-80% of the time. I could be wrong though since i just played for few hours. Perhaps I expected the game to be more dead space.

Its not a bad game, i think is average-good. Probably a 7/10 i guess.

EDIT: and one more thing, im not sure is it me, but auto save does not seem to save certain progress if you auto load after death.
Sometimes resources would be gone as if my character picks it up, but actually never does.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see a lot of reviews talking about the gameplay being dull or lacking surprises, or being "from 2008," but let's be real--gaming hasn't improved much since 2008 besides the evolution of the Souls genre. Most of gaming is a trash bin full of live-service models crammed with MTX.

The gameplay seems good to me, but man the performance issues are something else. Truly a shame, I wish devs would just delay the game rather than releasing games with such garbage performance.

damidu

i’ll eventually play it, graphically it looks pretty good.
just that 8hrs for full price is a big ask.
almost cod campaign territory.
will wait it on a sub service or for deep price cut

Bigfroth

GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos
Looks like this game is stumbling out of the gate, heard you need to play this on easy to enjoy it. Hopefully, patches are incoming.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ouch....now its clear why the reviews didnt hit until release day. Gonna pass on this one for now and see if maybe any of the issues are addressed by patches.

Ulysses 31

And yet again, didnt we have the same problem with Dead Space?

What I think is happening is: game is more focused on melee during the beginning when you dont have many guns or other options. But players after playing for some hours and despite having more options, still think that the game wants them to focus on melee combat.

Trying to trade blows with a group of enemies is stupid.
From my recollection, Dead Space(1-3) was mostly fighting with ranged weapons and telekinesis and not with melee weapons with an auto lock-on that could change when getting hit. There's no dodge in DS so melee combat was clearly something to be avoided there.

Last edited:

engstra

Was maybe expecting slightly better feedback but not a disaster by any means. The atmosphere and environments look fantastic but has always looked way too similar to Dead Space with nothing to set it apart really. I mean you even have the same telekinetic powers and stomp on stuff.
If it drops on subscription services I'll definitely play it.

MaKTaiL

Just started playing. HDR implementation is not good at all. Even if you set brightness to minimum you cannot get true blacks. Blacks are grey.

Hugare

From my recollection, Dead Space(1-3) was mostly fighting with ranged weapons and telekinesis and not with melee weapons with an auto lock-on that could change when getting hit. There's no dodge in DS so melee combat was clearly something to be avoided there.
They give you the option to use melee here (probably because DS was heavily criticised for its lacking melee). But it doesnt mean that you have to use it while fighting 5 other enemies.

Ulysses 31

They give you the option to use melee here (probably because DS was heavily criticised for its lacking melee). But it doesnt mean that you have to use it while fighting 5 other enemies.
I'd like to think SkillUp is smart enough not to go melee fighting multiple enemies when he has the tools to kill from ranged. If ammo is scarce(common in survival horrors) the game might not leave you much choice than to engage in melee and that's when certain problems become very apparent(at least on higher difficulties).

Needlecrash

I gave it a shot on PC. Holy shit the stuttering. My god. It's really bad. People weren't kidding. I will say the graphics are pretty damn good though. FYI, I'm running a RTX 3080 and an AMD 5800X. And I still got stuttering, even on Medium/Max settings after running the benchmark.

The combat isn't fun for me at all. Enemies feel like bullet sponges and the combat felt like I was doing QTE's all of the time. Enemies attack in a "sequence". They all try to punch you 2-4 times the same way. No variety at all. You can't attack after the enemy does their first attack because you have to wait to finish their "sequence", even though there's enough time to.

Can't recommend this game honestly. I know some are enjoying the game and that's awesome, have at it. I just can't justify paying $70 for AAAA jank. A shame too. Seeing the commercials, previews and interviews/tech insights about the game increased the hype but to me it didn't live up to it. I should have known something was fishy from the start when the review embargo was imposed to release them on release day. I just feel let down by it.

Want a good game? Get Signalis.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
is this about the stutter gate?
glad people are making stink if so,
that shit is pretty unacceptable after god knows how much you paid for a gaming pc
Yeah. I was hoping to see how people feel about the game in general, but that will be impossible until the stuttering gets resolved. Devs need to get some damage control PR out asap.

Check out the number of reviews and compare that to the other big releases (Midnight Suns 152, NFS Unbound 584). You see what people were looking forward to. Shame it turned out the way it did.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Anyone thinks it's REALLY shady that the developers, ON RELEASE DAY, said that New Game+ and the other modes won't be able until February? That's some bullshit.
Yeah, it’s caused me to want to get a refund and wait, but then I think of the games I will be playing in February, and I might not pick this game up and play it. Right now, the next ten days or so, is when I would really be able to give this game 100% of my attention. And my daily sessions are about an hour. So I’m torn.

MaKTaiL

For those that use a headset make sure to set Audio setting "Radio Chat" to TV instead of Controller otherwise the characters speaking to you through your radio will sound like they are in your head instead of actually on a radio. Really weird that they did not make this automatic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
By the way, everyone making funny ahaha jokes about this 7.5 never forget that your baby Ragnarok got a 7 from Edge. A 7! Now sit down and cry, boys!

Calisto Protocol and Ragnarok are similar caliber confirmed :messenger_beaming:

Lokaum D+

9/10 for me, its just the kinda of game that i missed a lot this last generation, boot the game, kill some shit and have some fun, not every game need to be Gow Ragnarok or TLOU.

The gore is 10/10

Hugare

I'd like to think SkillUp is smart enough not to go melee fighting multiple enemies when he has the tools to kill from ranged. If ammo is scarce(common in survival horrors) the game might not leave you much choice than to engage in melee and that's when certain problems become very apparent(at least on higher difficulties).
Fair enough. I'm only 2h in, so maybe I havent experienced those combat encounters that will make things problematic.

Even if I end up being disapointed by the game, I still wont regret buying it. I will support every DS clone game ever lol

And building a new studio and developing a game of this caliber during COVID is just insane. Not even 3 years! My hats off to them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I gave it a shot on PC. Holy shit the stuttering. My god. It's really bad. People weren't kidding. I will say the graphics are pretty damn good though. FYI, I'm running a RTX 3080 and an AMD 5800X. And I still got stuttering, even on Medium/Max settings after running the benchmark.

The combat isn't fun for me at all. Enemies feel like bullet sponges and the combat felt like I was doing QTE's all of the time. Enemies attack in a "sequence". They all try to punch you 2-4 times the same way. No variety at all. You can't attack after the enemy does their first attack because you have to wait to finish their "sequence", even though there's enough time to.

Can't recommend this game honestly. I know some are enjoying the game and that's awesome, have at it. I just can't justify paying $70 for AAAA jank. A shame too. Seeing the commercials, previews and interviews/tech insights about the game increased the hype but to me it didn't live up to it. I should have known something was fishy from the start when the review embargo was imposed to release them on release day. I just feel let down by it.

Want a good game? Get Signalis.
Thanks for posting your impressions bro. By the look of it sounds to be way too jank, and not the cool kind of jank.

I think I'll wait for a deep sale. How the atmosphere and tone? Is it close to Dead Space? Or is it shit too?

Ulysses 31

Fair enough. I'm only 2h in, so maybe I havent experienced those combat encounters that will make things problematic.

Even if I end up being disapointed by the game, I still wont regret buying it. I will support every DS clone game ever lol

And building a new studio and developing a game of this caliber during COVID is just insane. Not even 3 years! My hats off to them.
I haven't written the game off, I'm curious to see what patches and the season pass will bring.

AngelMuffin

Ok this is my personal review so far, I played around 3-4 hours, highest difficulty.

1) Dodging mechanic is a bit too tight, I have no issue with dodging (most of the time) but i just hope the devs could widen the dodge invincibility frame a bit more.
You MUST dodge during the "starting phase" of the enemy strike, dodging during mid strike is not possible and its a guaranteed hit from the enemy.
2) Too many crawling in ducts and tight spaces, not a fan of that, its very slow.
3) Unable to backtrack in most of the places, have to manage inventory space very well :( (perhaps there is an inventory upgrade later?)
4) Overall controls feels heavy, personally wish it could be lighter.
5) Game is not scary for the most part for some reason.
6) Not a fan of heavily focused melee combat mechanic, wish there is a balance between melee and range, melee seems to be 70%-80% of the time. I could be wrong though since i just played for few hours. Perhaps I expected the game to be more dead space.

Its not a bad game, i think is average-good. Probably a 7/10 i guess.

EDIT: and one more thing, im not sure is it me, but auto save does not seem to save certain progress if you auto load after death.
Sometimes resources would be gone as if my character picks it up, but actually never does.
Any positives?

Romulus

It's sad that I fire up the original dead space and that has better mechanics from over 10+ years ago. Probably a more consistent framerate too on 360

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Probably a more consistent framerate too on 360
Actually it’s not, I remember there was part when you go through bridge and you see bunch of enemies cones at both side, this part that framerate has huge drop.

Saber

Gold Member
I usually love his reviews. He is my favorite reviewer of them all.

But I dont take his words as gospel. He didnt recomend TLOU Part II, and I consider that game one of the bests ever made.

Lmao, thats rich xD
The guy is banned on Reera because of that, so he has my full support.

Also, in his review he clearly warns people that alot of his recent not recommended reviews are either loved by people(like Sonic) or have decent scores, so to not take his review as a personnal thing or as a definitive score for the game. Its just different takes and different tastes. Also as a sidenote, he was ultra hyped for this game, like aways being positive everytime something new came.

Still I really reccomend his review because this guy is very detailed, it really looks like the type of reviewer who played the game, so its not like he is making it for the masses.

IGN "A proper remake might be rising from the grave next year, but the festering corpse of Dead Space has come lurching back to life early in the form of The Callisto Protocol."

How do they know the EA DS remake will be good? Something is definitely going on here lol
Because it's a remake of an already good game? Without much serious changes other than adding backtracking, so it's pretty safe to assume a good game with updates graphics will be good

It's also certainly possible that the Callisto Protocol is just...okay. All of these reviews seem to indicate that. Take the tin foil hat off, and this is coming from someone who has a general dislike for journalists

I will test it for myself if it was free, no doubt, but it cost 70€, and I buy always digital, so I can't resell o refund. It's totally understandable that facing a purchase people need others opinion to take a good decision. Is it Metacritic perfect? No, but in something we need to trust before spending 70€ in a 10 hours game.

I would prefer a Demo. For example, Tormented Souls have bad reviews but I liked the demo a lot so I purchased it and enjoy it. In that case, as I tested it by myself I decided more based in my opinion than in reviews. But with Callisto I only have others opinions, so I'm very cautious.

Yeah, i miss the demos...

When i don't know if i'll buy or not, i watch some gameplay.
We are veterans, we know if its good or bad.

Top Bottom