• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol review embargo lifts on release date 6.am. GUESS THE SCORE

NeoGUT feeling:

• Total voters

Justin9mm

Among the many BS practices in the industry, this game has a day 1 review embargo and the decelopers haven't even stated what the actual performance will be on any console. This should be basic information anyone could find going in to a potential purchase. All they’ve given us (and most games are guilty of this) are vague performance metrics like “fidelity and perf.modes/ ray tracing-on the MS store/“4k”.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could find out exactly what the resolution and fps in both modes? It’s crazy that in 2022 this isn’t a given. The devs know the answers to these very basic questions but they want to keep it a mystery.

Don’t get me started on them withholding reviews until after launch. They want pre-orders and want anywhere from $70-$100 for a product they want us to buy completely blind. Fuck that.
Agreed. It's not a good way to treat your paying customers.

I feel like with the review embargo, they either absolutely need to sell the game and it has problems or it is a strategic move, knowing the game is good that they wanted to keep the details of the game under wraps, especially being a survival horror! But it's usually the former and I'm wishing it's the latter.

thatJohann

Looks like good reviews are incoming. Cons will be cheap deaths and $70 for 10 hours. I love short games but not a fan of the $70.

Edit: just read the games radar review that talks about the brutal difficulty. Hard pass. Bummer. I always play on easy and this sounds difficult even then.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Edit: just read the games radar review that talks about the brutal difficulty. Hard pass. Bummer. I always play on easy and this sounds difficult even then.
That actually makes me very excited, I’m one of those people who plays survival horror games on hard difficulty because I find it thrilling to barely survive each encounter.

Last edited:

Lions Gate

IGN 7
Gamespot 5

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

GHG

We're back on the selective "interactive movie" shit again, eh?

It's a sickness. The complex exists because they've allowed certain games/franchises to live rent-free in their heads for many a year. Now this game comes along and it looks good, but it borrows many elements from those games so it's creating confusion for some people.

It's almost like some people are saying "am I allowed to like this".

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Banned
so the PC version is once again completely fucked because Unreal Engine 4's dreaded shader compilation stutters :)

Unreal Engine really out there trying to take Unity's place as the most looked down upon engine

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I read a review where they said it was let down by the combat. First mob in and I agreed with them and lamented the 50 quid spent on the game. 2nd mob, it suddenly clicked.

I can see the reviewer's point but for me the combat is about chipping away with some melees, then a shot or two then finishing off with more melee all interspersed with dodging (I HATED the dodging mechanic at first but now it's so satisfying seeing these chumps swinging over my head). It's also thinking about positioning rather than barrelling in. It's not souls-like combat as such but the pace and rhythm had me going for the roll button on several occasions.

There's a set piece that frustrated me because I tried to take a head on approach but after a while I tried something different and the result was glorious. Glorious I tell ya! I hooted out loud with glee.
The room ( as you're leaving the hab unit looking for the hanging bridge) with the spinning machine of doom in the middle surrounded by static and patrolling mobs. Stealthed one, GRPed another straight into into the doom machine. The next I knocked back into the machine during melee and the last dispatched as normal. The fountain of gore the machine spews out is a glorious touch.

According to ps I'm 35% through and so far I'm loving it. The only thing I'm not keen on is the writing and slightly cliched story.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Someone said this game has a 70 meta critic I think? Even I think that was too low. I assumed it would be at least an 80-82.
Or did I misread? EDIT: My vote in the poll was 80-84.

Last edited:
Top Bottom