• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling fellow Playstation lovers - do the right thing and call out Sony!

Metnut

OP is right that Sony lied to us here and it’s frustrating.

I’m still getting a PS5 because it’s a far superior option than any of Microsoft’s consoles (for me!) given the exclusive games Sony will put on the console.

If Microsoft hadn’t put forth the stupid Series S and had better exclusives themselves, maybe Sony would feel a bit more pressure instead of just doing whatever they want.

As it is, I’m stuck with a binary choice. The upgrade from OG PS4 to PS5 should be pretty real for me.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony has learned what everyone else already knew. Most people don't want to give up their existing games when they get new kit. "I buy new consoles for new games" is not the majority opinion and it never was. "I paid $1,000 for a new CPU and GPU to only play new games" is not something that PC gamers typically say. They buy those things to get better experiences with their current games as well as run future games. Console players want that, too.

Being able to play existing games on new hardware won't stifle innovation. These companies still need to make and sell new software and they still have to compete with other companies to make money. That's where the innovation comes from. Starving gamers and making them wait for new games is not innovation. It's holding an audience captive.

I am happy to Sony make this change.
Very little comes out on PC to make good use of the hardware... every time graphics comes up, PC users seem to point to The Witcher 3 with mods. A 5 year old game.

psorcerer

Banned
Dear fellow Playstation lovers,

Just like you, I've been enjoying the last few months shitting on Xbox for their cross-gen antics. I've been relishing the opportunity to throw yesterday's PS5 showcase in the face of Xbox fans as a 'AHA TAKE THAT BITCHES' moment but after that we find out that at the very least, Horizon Forbidden West and the Miles Morales game are coming to PS4 as well as PS5.

rYhInBx.jpg

I'm stoked as much as you are for PS5 but come on. Although they didn't necessarily say those games would be PS5 exclusive, the messaging very strongly hinted at it and for them to now mention, almost in passing as if they don't want to draw attention to it, that two of the key first party titles aren't actually next-gen exclusive.................. it's just a bit of a slap in the face.

Do you not hate being lied to? I know I do. Sure it's not lying if they never technically said those games wouldn't come to PS4, but it's effectively the same thing. They've been riding the wave of hate towards Xbox and it turns out what they're doing isn't really much different. If we try to hide behind the fine print then we're doing what the 'other side' did.

So, again, calling all fellow Pureisuteishon lovers, let's call it out because if we don't do it then we're just as bad as the Xbots who blindly support the likes of Aaron Greenscreen and Phil Spritzer.

note: If you think I'm posing as Playstation lover to whip up a frenzy, check my post history - I've been shitting on Xbox for months ;)

Err, you can just refuse to buy PS5 on launch.
It would be much easier and send a much better message than "calling out".

ReBurn

Gold Member
Very little comes out on PC to make good use of the hardware... every time graphics comes up, PC users seem to point to The Witcher 3 with mods. A 5 year old game.
I don't know that "very little comes out on PC to make good use of the hardware." People are pushing their cards as hard as they'll go, regardless of the quality of the content itself. The 3080 sold out pretty much immediately, which proves my point I believe. People are paying for new hardware not for specific games coming out in the future. They're doing it to get the best from what they're playing right now. A lot of console gamers want that, too.

Last edited:

McCarth

I'm thinking some people are just upset they couldn't get a preorder in. I didn't either, don't sweat. They'll be plenty more later on.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't know that "very little comes out on PC to make good use of the hardware." People are pushing their cards as hard as they'll go, regardless of the quality of the content itself. The 3080 sold out pretty much immediately, which proves my point I believe. People are paying for new hardware not for specifi games coming out in the future. They're doing it to get the best from what they're playing right now. A lot of console gamers want that, too.
I know, I saw one going for 40k somewhere.

There is such an unhealthy obsession with hardware on PC and then ironically a parallel obsession with buying games for as little as possible. I really don't get it..... why do scummy Nvidia deserve the money but not CDPR or Square or Capcom?

Dr Bass

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Demon's Souls is literally a launch day PS5 exclusive, and it looks very good ...

And there are going to be plenty more. It's going to be fine. People are looking for problems here. Yeah I would have preferred if they had taken advantage of the PS5 for Horizon to the point where cross gen wasn't possible, but it will essentially play like a sequel to the first one and look way better. And then there will be plenty of actual PS5 exclusives. Again, even on day one. 🤷‍♂️

quest

Not Banned from OT
The fallout of Microsoft’s cross gen strategy would have been received better if Halo Infinite didn’t look like ass.
Bullshit it was thrown in everyone's faces the second Jim Ryan said we believe in generations. It was an angry mob for months anti cross generation started by Sony. But keep up the spin of Sony hiding the truth to avoid bad press and put it on Microsoft.

You can't be calling MS out for over a year on what you think are wrong practices and all of the sudden turn a blind eye when Sony does the same turd. Not acceptable. The lack of transparency makes it worse. Yes they're releasing exclusives that justify the purchase of a PS5 (and MS isn't) but that's about it outside of that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I know, I saw one going for 40k somewhere.

There is such an unhealthy obsession with hardware on PC and then ironically a parallel obsession with buying games for as little as possible. I really don't get it..... why do scummy Nvidia deserve the money but not CDPR or Square or Capcom?
I think it's the nature of the technology. It's really easy to make more copies of new games and it's literally impossible to sell out of digital copies. But GPU hardware quantities are constrained by supply and manufacturing concerns, real or contrived. That keep supply lower than demand.

Video game companies drop prices to Increase revenue though quantity sales. Hardware is harder to do that with. The game companies could pull a Nintendo and just refuse to drop their prices, limit physical copies, and only leave games on the market for 6 months to drive prices but they don't.

Business

Just apply thermal paste to your pro.

I did but didn’t improve anything. Initially I was looking for dust but the inside was pristine. Since I had the console open and had thermal paste around I decided to use it on the CPU because indeed the stock one looked like shit. The only thing remaining was changing the thermal pads but I couldn’t be arsed to buy new ones.

Last edited:

decisions

This is total revisionist history.

It was always my understanding that MS said there will be one universal Xbox library. So you can’t put a game on XSX but not on XSX and X1 (so long as that is supported).

Sony said there can be games the utilize the power of the PS5 to he exclusive to that, i.e. they don’t have to be on PS4 or PS4 Pro, even though those are still officially supported platforms.

Neither has changed their stance so far.

Kerotan

The point is that they said one thing and did something else.
Promises of experiences not possible on PS4, and then lo and behold we have cross-gen games.

It makes sense of course, as they want to leverage their massive install base for risk aversion on expensive games. But their words spoke contrary to this.
Well everything isn't cross gen and the experience on ps5 won't be possible on ps4.

Kerotan

Oh yeah, i'm happy that they are rushing and porting on ps4 the sequel of my gotg just to have a chance of getting a third game...

I don't give a fuck about having a great third game if the second one get compromised.

You don't even know if there is gonna be an horizon 3, the only thing we know for certain is that the second one is a crossgen, it's enough to get mad at sony no matter the amount of excuses or wishful thinking from some of you.
Oh my entitled god. It's not compromised you fool it's just launching in a period where it makes sense to be cross gen. H3 will make sense to be ps5 only. Get over it.

Yeah in a way it was a case of shooting the messenger.

Kinda reminds me of back in 2013 when Xbox One got absolutely slaughtered for their always online stuff, but IIRC there were rumors that Sony was considering the exact thing but dropped it after they saw what happened with XB1.

Only this time they didn't drop it and are pushing ahead with PS4 versions. I suppose it makes business sense since they sold many so damn PS4s. Thinking back to the transition from PS2 -> PS3 (when PS2 had sold over 100m units ish when PS3 came out), makes me wonder whether we'll have the same situation ie. publishers (including Sony) choosing to keep making games for PS4 because it's easy money, especially given that PS4 also went over 100m units.
As somebody who sat in launch prep meetings for PS4, Sony had a similar DRM solution for the PS4. This has always been known. They saw the blowback and pulled the "this is how you trade in games" commercial but many executives at retailers knew what the original plan was. The original plan was what the DE is this gen. Completely suffocate the physical editions of games, get the digital version to be the main version and hold the profits. And why not? It's their product. But still, they acted like they hadn't planned the same thing and I know for sure they did.

DeaDPo0L84

As a gamer who has bought both consoles every generation, the point in doing so was because of the games that could only be played on those platforms. Microsoft has been shifting the Xbox brand into something different for quite awhile so it wasn't as shocking when the XSX was finally unveiled that games will more than likely be cross gen for quite awhile. With Playstation that wasn't ever really a thought, if anything PS4 games being brought up to the PS5 made sense and I have no problem with that. But I really don't want to see Horizon 2, God of War 2, and other 1st party titles that may be releasing in the first year or two of the PS5 launch be on the PS4 as well.

I have no doubt that the PS5 version will be better in every way possible than the PS4 version BUT the thought will always be in my mind "could the PS5 version be better if a PS4 version didn't have to exist?". Because of that this news dampens my already lukewarm thoughts about the next gen consoles as a whole.

GymWolf

Oh my entitled god. It's not compromised you fool it's just launching in a period where it makes sense to be cross gen. H3 will make sense to be ps5 only. Get over it.
yeah absolutely, it's not like it's a crossgen game that has to run on ancient hardware instead of being a full fledged nextgen game :ROFLMAO:

dude, don't try that bullshit "it make sense" with me please, it only make sense for sony to get more money, as a consumer i don't give a fuck about their plans, i only care about the final result, but you can do all the sony apologism you want, this is a free country after all.

Asking to have nextgen games on a nextgen console was the normality and not entitlement until yesterday news, funny how things change so fast...

I'm sorry dude, i don't wanna pass for a rude jackass, i'm just mad for this decision.

Last edited:

sendit

Bullshit it was thrown in everyone's faces the second Jim Ryan said we believe in generations. It was an angry mob for months anti cross generation started by Sony. But keep up the spin of Sony hiding the truth to avoid bad press and put it on Microsoft.

Why do you think it was thrown in peoples face? Hint *Craig*

Both Horizon 2 and Miles Morales look exceptional. This is a different case for Halo Infinite.

NickFire

The news was certainly a damper for me. But what's the point of dwelling on it? Sony isn't going to cancel production of games in progress to restart as next gen only. And unless you are thinking Switch only, there's no alternative to the cross gen practice. And honestly, it could have been worse. At least we know they will be targeting multiple sku's for just part of the generation.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why do you think it was thrown in peoples face? Hint *Craig*

Both Horizon 2 and Miles Morales look exceptional. This is a different case for Halo Infinite.
It was well before Craig every Microsoft thread turned into cross generation well before Craig. It was the trump card to derail any positive Microsoft thread.

Easy to find full week before Craig. Venom for cross generation. I can find many more lol.

Last edited:

Self

As a gamer who has bought both consoles every generation, the point in doing so was because of the games that could only be played on those platforms. Microsoft has been shifting the Xbox brand into something different for quite awhile so it wasn't as shocking when the XSX was finally unveiled that games will more than likely be cross gen for quite awhile. With Playstation that wasn't ever really a thought, if anything PS4 games being brought up to the PS5 made sense and I have no problem with that. But I really don't want to see Horizon 2, God of War 2, and other 1st party titles that may be releasing in the first year or two of the PS5 launch be on the PS4 as well.

I have no doubt that the PS5 version will be better in every way possible than the PS4 version BUT the thought will always be in my mind "could the PS5 version be better if a PS4 version didn't have to exist?". Because of that this news dampens my already lukewarm thoughts about the next gen consoles as a whole.

Well spoken my friend.

Kerotan

yeah absolutely, it's not like it's a crossgen game that has to run on ancient hardware instead of being a full fledged nextgen game :ROFLMAO:

dude, don't try that bullshit "it make sense" with me please, it only make sense for sony to get more money, as a consumer i don't give a fuck about their plans, i only care about the final result, but you can do all the sony apologism you want, this is a free country after all.

Asking to have nextgen games on a nextgen console was the normality and not entitlement until yesterday news, funny how things change so fast...

I'm sorry dude, i don't wanna pass for a rude jackass, i'm just mad for this decision.
It's not unusual to have a few cross platform games from Sony year one. This machine will be supply constrained as fucked so its only fair. If it runs on the ps4 just imagine how majestic performance will be on ps5. 4k 60fps? 1080p 120fps? 8k 30fps? You never know!

Lethal01

I could understand why Spider-Man was cross-gen but who made the decision for Horizon to be cross-gen as well? Guerilla Games are graphical powerhouses in the industry and a perfect fit to showcase your next gen system.

Legit curious who makes those decisions. Was it yoshida or layden?

Horizon Forbidden West has been in deveopment for years and at the start of the development they probably weren't even sure if the PS5 would be out when the game launches.

Illo

There's nothing wrong to admit you were wrong, or Sony thinking Xbox's strategy might be for the best moving forward in a pandemic based world.

I agree with both strategies and I still love the idea there's two different companies that offered two different solutions/ideas to consumers.

Lethal01

There's nothing wrong to admit you were wrong, or Sony thinking Xbox's strategy might be for the best moving forward in a pandemic based world.

I agree with both strategies and I still love the idea there's two different companies that offered two different solutions/ideas to consumers.

Sure, but it doesn't seem like they are agreeing with the XBOX Strategy since they have already announce big first part games coming this year along with one that will be ready at launch.

supernova8

Banned
I don't think it's contradictory. But it's perhaps a little disingenuous.

Well yes you could say he was 'withholding the truth' rather than actually lying. I think most people would take what Sony had been saying to imply that all first party games would be PS5 exclusive. If they didn't then this wouldn't have blown up (faux outrage to be fair lol) like it did.

Top Bottom