• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Vanguard |OT|

ManaByte

I heard the reason for this is because the German M35 helmets and Hugo Boss uniforms are considered offensive to many, specifically among men who drink copious amounts of soy per day.
Meanwhile in Wolfenstein
R.ccf31882c0abf6adeeff1e91936b2dca

Neolombax

Really on the fence with this one. I've played both MW2019 and CW quite a bit, and prefer MW2019 so much more than CW. I have no doubts that I'll be having a real great time with Vanguard, just like every other COD I've played. This year I was planning to commit to BF2042 instead, but the leaks seem to point to BF2042 will be lacking in terms of launch content. So I dont know anymore, Vanguard seem to have very decent reviews thus far.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Got it yesterday. Last CoD I had was WWII. Really enjoying Vanguard. Multiplayer is great fun. Zombies isn't as compelling as say Black Ops 1, but it's still good for a round here or there. I was honestly considering getting Modern Warfare (2019) or BlOps Cold War since this is so good and I missed those.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got it yesterday. Last CoD I had was WWII. Really enjoying Vanguard. Multiplayer is great fun. Zombies isn't as compelling as say Black Ops 1, but it's still good for a round here or there. I was honestly considering getting Modern Warfare (2019) or BlOps Cold War since this is so good and I missed those.
Cold war zombies is the best zombie game no joke..

I spend 14 ingame days in playtime on that game.. still plenty of shit to unlock

Alright just completed the campaign on PS5 last night and here are my thoughts:

Liked
-Stellar set-piece action moments packed with stunning audio visuals similar to MW 2019 (same engine).
-Frame rates were rock solid 60fps
-Nice use of haptic feedback and Adaptive triggers
- Can't stress this enough but the audio and visuals looked so good you guys, it looked even better than MW 2019 and Cold War.
- Good replayability to go back and replay those epic missions

Disliked
- It's even shorter than MW 2019
- Underutilized gameplay potential of dynamically switching between 4 playable characters to get key objectives done. The game needed more such missions.
-Ran into quite a few bugs in the opening missions where NPC characters would teleport out of nowhere and they'd go through walls and doors. Duplicate characters would get created on the fly to initiate an opening door animation and things like that. The game lacks the kinda polish we've come to expect from COD games.
- The story and gameplay in single player felt like IW developed it rather than Sledgehammer. Not sure why I find it this way. Advanced Warfare's Sledgehammer signature set-piece cinematic touch is missing here.

Just rating the campaign I'd give it a solid 8/10 despite following identical footsteps of IW (Same engine + same structure and mission types).

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
MW 2019 uses the same engine as Vanguard so get that. Cold War uses the old engine and felt like a major step backwards in terms of fun and gameplay. It was horrible actually and I abandoned it while I got the platinum for MW 2019.

TheZink

After giving it more time ... Vanguards Multiplayer is actually really really fun, probably the most fun I've had since MW 2019 and ended up turning a 1 hour session into a 9.

Think the key difference is the maps are really well designed from a gameplay perspective
Same. My first hour I hated it was getting smashed but once I got up to speed I’ve been enjoying it much more than Cold War.

TheShocker

Get MW 2019. Cold War was awful. To be fair though, I’ve never been a fan of Treyarch COD games.

splattered

I know this is going to be different for everyone but can you guys share your ideal control (controller) settings? I see when i drill down into the settings menus you can tweak aim assist to act different (can even make it like cold war??), ads aim assist, automatic aireborn mantle, mantle stance queueing ... i mean there is just so much to tweak. I'm sure defaults are generally fine but if changing some/lots of this stuff can improve my experience i'd like to try stuff that makes sense. All i've done so far is turn off texture streaming/changed aim assist to cold war to try it/turn off cross play cause fk pc hacker bs.

I was a little worried after the Beta but I’m having a great time so far!
I may have enjoyed the beta if the FOV option was available. I hated it simply based off the fact i can’t play at the default FOV. I knew once I got to crank it to 100-120 it would be fine.

There are Soo many maps and I love it , I'm literally lvl 28 and I haven't played hotel royale map the one in the beta once , loving the map variety
Some maps are too big , but blitz solves the problem

Valt7786

I heard the reason for this is because the German M35 helmets and Hugo Boss uniforms are considered offensive to many, specifically among men who drink copious amounts of soy per day.
Which is super lame if true.
Obviously the nazi's were horrendous people who did far too many horrendous things, but I'll be damned if they didn't have good fashion sense a lot of the time >_>.

Really hoping they put factions back in.

BigLee74

I prefer domination to have large map-specific areas that you can sit in (a la Cold War).

This sitting right beside a flag doesn’t give much scope for tactics.

Mr.ODST

I prefer domination to have large map-specific areas that you can sit in (a la Cold War).

This sitting right beside a flag doesn’t give much scope for tactics.
Thats one thing I found very very weird, having to literally be sat ontop of the point, unfortunately with that comes the territory of people only have to shoot through walls on that point or throw nades exactly on the flag to push you off.

Excess

Which is super lame if true.
Obviously the nazi's were horrendous people who did far too many horrendous things, but I'll be damned if they didn't have good fashion sense a lot of the time >_>.

Really hoping they put factions back in.
I was being mildly sarcastic, but from what I understand, this was first done with COD WWII in 2017, when every blue-haired whale screaming at the sky was having mass delusions and hypersensitivities about living among large swathes of neo Nazis in America. So I guess historical accuracy was canceled, which opened the door to more creative liberties that don't even care about it anymore.

Surprisingly enough, Battlefield V, a year later, had enough balls to create a campaign mission from the eyes of a German Tiger tank commander. That was pretty good.

This has got to be the shortest campain in COD history. I don't even know if it was 5 hours in total lol and I played every single COD since its release.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well your last COD was made by the same team.
I'd say go with MW, Blops CW is good but a step back from MW.

And for those that can't get into this have you tried changing the aim assist to n00b?
There is an option to have it like Cold War so you don't have to actually aim at the target to hit it.

7/10 for me - nothing about it seems more than what could easily have been an expansion to Cold War. Not a bad game - just nothing to push the genre forward.

I haven't gotten too far into the campaign - but the opening mission on the train was really disappointing. Nothing memorable and quite frankly boring as hell to play through.

The sole Zombies mode was fun - but got repetitive pretty quickly. Hopefully they can add more modes quickly.

Multiplayer has been the most fun. Maps are great and varied and I like how you can vote for the MVP at the end of each match.

Sounds like next year's COD is where we're going to see significant changes. I heard it is supposed to be very gory and drug cartel related and that they are taking inspiration from No Country For Old Men.

just put in about 5 hours over the past two days. Feels much better than CW for me and the maps are much more enjoyable as well. I like the operator progression system, adds another set of goals to shoot for and that is already what makes COD so damn addicting. Not going back to CW and will dump a bunch of time into this going forward. Thanks for the recco gents :messenger_ok:

JoeBudden

I haven't gotten too far into the campaign - but the opening mission on the train was really disappointing. Nothing memorable and quite frankly boring as hell to play through.

Do you own an OLED with HDMI 2.1? Cause that level looked absolutely incredible. Idk how that wasn't memorable or fun to you.

I did find the game too easy though and had to restart on Veteran mode.

BigLee74

Not feeling the MP. I loved Cold War and nearly all its maps, but Vanguard? Maps are massive and like warrens, Blitz is mental and comes up even if you chose not to play it.

Wheres my 6v6 in appropriately sized maps?
Where is Face Off, and the smaller maps?

I’ll give it time, maybe it’ll grow on me. I remember not really liking Cold War for the first few weeks either.

Ownage

CoD:V single player was lame af. Worst since Infinite Warfare. Will check out Zombies and MP next.

Allforce

If I just make a GAF clan can we get 15-20 consistent players on? It's a way better experience with friends. Any coordination right now turns this game into a bloodbath, on top of the dozens of broken guns that are fun as fuck to mess with.

I'll set one up if there's interest.

If I just make a GAF clan can we get 15-20 consistent players on? It's a way better experience with friends. Any coordination right now turns this game into a bloodbath, on top of the dozens of broken guns that are fun as fuck to mess with.

I'll set one up if there's interest.
Psn?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
CoD:V single player was lame af. Worst since Infinite Warfare.
If that’s the case then we can’t really blame BF devs for stop making them. If they can’t make a good SP then why bother wasting resource on it.

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out what's the benefit of the Fidelity FX CAS settings toggle option that's there on PS5. What are we benefiting or losing out if we enable/disable it? Also one thing I noticed is if we enable it, it gets disabled the next time we load the game from the UI and needs to be manually enabled each time

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Cold war zombies is the best zombie game no joke..

I spend 14 ingame days in playtime on that game.. still plenty of shit to unlock
Thank you. Does Cold War come with all the maps and modes or do you need to buy an expansion pass/season pass/map packs/whatever.

recursive

Has anyone figured out what's the benefit of the Fidelity FX CAS settings toggle option that's there on PS5. What are we benefiting or losing out if we enable/disable it? Also one thing I noticed is if we enable it, it gets disabled the next time we load the game from the UI and needs to be manually enabled each time

decisions

CoD:V single player was lame af. Worst since Infinite Warfare. Will check out Zombies and MP next.

Infinite Warfare is the best COD campaign though.

I think Vanguard has some really cool levels and ideas, it’s just underbaked. If there was a whole second half of the game like the last mission, it would have been epic. As soon as you know the characters, it’s almost over.

Also give me a Polina spin-off campaign in Russia. Thanks.

Last edited:

splattered

Turn off texture streaming in the menu.

This actually helped, thank you! Does Apex Legends and Warzone also utilize texture streaming like this? Need to go look in the options menus i guess. Would be huge for me if that was my only problem with them and i could fix that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Final thoughts: the campaign isn’t perfect. I think it’s a brilliant opportunity to understand World War 2, the Russian, Aussie, American backgrounds, looking at the nazis like rats, the fear from the nazis overwhelming you isn’t there, but there’s teachable moments like Phoenix, and midway. Couple bullet points on COD 2021 Vanguard:
Story is ok.
The clashing ally characters are fine.
Just because it’s a short 7 hour campaign doesn’t mean it’s bad.
The multiplayer gun system adds value to ranking and leveling them up.
Sliding through maps sucks.

JoeBudden

Alright just completed the campaign on PS5 last night and here are my thoughts:

Liked
-Stellar set-piece action moments packed with stunning audio visuals similar to MW 2019 (same engine).
-Frame rates were rock solid 60fps
-Nice use of haptic feedback and Adaptive triggers
- Can't stress this enough but the audio and visuals looked so good you guys, it looked even better than MW 2019 and Cold War.
- Good replayability to go back and replay those epic missions

Disliked
- It's even shorter than MW 2019
- Underutilized gameplay potential of dynamically switching between 4 playable characters to get key objectives done. The game needed more such missions.
-Ran into quite a few bugs in the opening missions where NPC characters would teleport out of nowhere and they'd go through walls and doors. Duplicate characters would get created on the fly to initiate an opening door animation and things like that. The game lacks the kinda polish we've come to expect from COD games.
- The story and gameplay in single player felt like IW developed it rather than Sledgehammer. Not sure why I find it this way. Advanced Warfare's Sledgehammer signature set-piece cinematic touch is missing here.

Just rating the campaign I'd give it a solid 8/10 despite following identical footsteps of IW (Same engine + same structure and mission types).

completely agreed.

im curious what you think about multiplayer since theyre going for much faster arcadey gameplay there compared to the more tactical gameplay of MW2019.

JoeBudden

If that’s the case then we can’t really blame BF devs for stop making them. If they can’t make a good SP then why bother wasting resource on it.

All of the phony concern around BF2042 having no single-player this year is bullshit. BF hasn't had a good campaign mode since Bad Company 2. No one truly wants a BF single-player.

saintjules

For anyone playing this now, is there anything that makes you feel like it's a "next-gen" experience or something that makes the campaign feel immersive in any way.

There's always a new game every year, so I am curious if I should take the plunge on this one or wait a year.

Top Bottom