• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty Vanguard Nee Texture Streaming Tech and install Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soodanim

Gold Member
28.8GB is a big difference, I have no interest in the game itself but I'm curious as to why it's that way

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That texture streaming made the game judder like fuck in the Beta

MonarchJT

Banned
PlayStation 5: 64.13 GB Download | 89.84 GB Required Space

PlayStation 4: 54.65 GB Download | 93.12 GB Required Space

Xbox Series X |S: 61 GB Download | 61 GB Required Space

Xbox One: 56.6 GB Download | 56.6 GB Required Space
honest question ..so why those 29gb in install size especially taking into account kraken and the i/o?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
What are you talking about? The size is 64GB, it needs space to unpack.
and why a console that have faster decompresssor faster i/o and definitely faster ssd need to to leave files less compressed than on Xbox in its smallest SSD?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

and why a console that have faster decompresssor faster i/o and definitely faster ssd need to to leave files less compressed than on Xbox in its smallest SSD?
Why don't you ask Activison and Sledgehammer?
Does this have a shitty extra mode on PS systems like Cold War?
Who knows? Tweet/email them.

I'm not really sold on the game but I'm very happy about this. The install sizes for COD games are crazy. It's what has put me off from re-installing any of the games.

They are incredibly large in install size.

ethomaz

Banned
OP needs to be updated.
These are the required sizes to install that on PS needs more temporary free space to work with it that is not part of the game files.

The game on PS5 uses 64GB after installed that is close to Xbox.

BTW the link in OP has the actual correct sizes but OP choose to make the OP with the wrong data.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Is this the same On-Demand streaming feature that can take up to 24gb of data bandwidth on the daily? Yeah, no thanks.

MonarchJT

Banned
OP needs to be updated.
These are the required sizes to install that on PS needs more temporary free space to work with it that is not part of the game files.

The game on PS5 uses 64GB after installed that is close to Xbox.

BTW the link in OP has the actual correct sizes.
No the game on PS5 take more
PlayStation 5: 64.13 GB Download | 89.84 GB Required Space
is just the download that is close to xbox

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS5 needing 90gb is correct. It's not like the game will install if you only have 64gb of space left on the SSD.

If you're that tight on space, you'd have to do a workaround and delete a game off your SSD, install COD, and then re-install that deleted game back assuming it also doesn't need extra space to unpack.

ethomaz

Banned
It needs space to unpack the file, the size is 64GB, the difference is 3GB.
Let's find out tonight when pre-loads start.
The actual file size is way lower than 64GB... it just maybe there is a combination of localization files that reaches 64GB (EU base version is 57GB that is the biggest one but there are some regional localization downloads depending where you are that can make it a bit bigger I guess... speculations of course).

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just realized I read this wrong and when they said texture streaming, along with the fact they said "up to 30% - 50%+ of a file size difference on next-gen console and PC," I thought they were referring to how its streamed from the drive. But it appears they mean actual streaming.

I hope there is an option to just install the textures.

ethomaz

Banned
Just realized I read this wrong and when they said texture streaming, along with the fact they said "up to 30% - 50%+ of a file size difference on next-gen console and PC," I thought they were referring to how its streamed from the drive. But it appears they mean actual streaming.

Yeap actual streaming.
They are comparing with previous games where everything was in the disc so it reached 150-200GB (and people complained a lot)... now they are working with some assets streaming from servers decreasing a lot the install size.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

yep let's see
I'm not buying this crap so hopefully someone else will check for us tonight.

PlayStation®4 and 5: Preloading begins on October 28 at 9 PM PT in North and South America. All other countries will begin preloading on October 29 at midnight local time.
Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S: Preloading begins on October 28 at 9 PM PT.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

We'll see how good it is. Might be good. Might be a lot of textures popping in. I got space. I avoid installing SP, but my download for MP will probably be half anyway.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not buying this crap so hopefully someone else will check for us tonight.

PlayStation®4 and 5: Preloading begins on October 28 at 9 PM PT in North and South America. All other countries will begin preloading on October 29 at midnight local time.
Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S: Preloading begins on October 28 at 9 PM PT.
Pre-load is already up in some places... that is how PlayStation Game Size got the sizes.

Mr Moose

Who the fuck is @_SomeMexicanBoi? And why should we believe him?
Their source is Call of Duty website, but they left out the actual install size and only showed the required disc space.

Pre-load is already up in some places... that is how PlayStation Game Size got the sizes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Australia and places near there's time :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
In this gen of console it seems occasionally that software can have an effect just as much as hardware.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We'll see how good it is. Might be good. Might be a lot of textures popping in. I got space. I avoid installing SP, but my download for MP will probably be half anyway.
I have unlimited bandwidth and such currently, but many don't but I dont want any hiccups simply because of server issues. Give me the option to download it. I got the space.

ethomaz

Banned
I have unlimited bandwidth and such currently, but many don't but I dont want any hiccups simply because of server issues. Give me the option to download it. I got the space.
It probably should have an option to install everything imo.

It will be interesting to make some tests of how it compare when you are offline or online :messenger_fire:

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It probably should have an option to install everything imo.

It will be interesting to make some tests of how it works when you are offline :messenger_fire:
MW and I think BOCW did. I know in attempt to make MW smaller they took out some of the high res textures but you could download it.

I am guessing they will make it an optional download but who knows.

Artistic

How many GBs was Cold War at launch for Series X?

Only had MW2019 and the install size was like 180GBs when I purchased earlier this year.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Even bigger is XSX is way smaller than PS5. Does it mean PS5 isn't using the kraken-oodle stuff in this game?
Hard to say, because big assets are texture and sound (don't forget this part) and possibly pre-rendered cutscenes, so it's rather 2.5 variable as of what it could be : )

With sounds, there isn't sadly some magical compression like Oodle-kraken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom