• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Vanguard is skipping E3 as Warzone prepares for World War II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Instead, the publisher has opted to reveal its next premium FPS entry later in the summer, likely via an in-game event in free-to-play Warzone, as it did last year with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

This year’s game is called Call of Duty: Vanguard, developed by Sledgehammer Games, and is currently on track to release on current and last-gen consoles, plus PC, in November.

Vanguard will feature a campaign, multiplayer and zombies modes set in the European and Pacific theatres of World War II, with its plot centring around the birth of modern allied Special Forces.

Potentially more exciting for fans, however, is Vanguard’s significant plans for Warzone.

Last year’s CoD entry, Black Op Cold War, scrambled to integrate with the hugely popular battle royale game, which launched just 6 months earlier, with its weapons causing messy balance issues at launch and a modest update to the existing Verdansk map not arriving until months later.

For 2021’s game, Sledgehammer has had far more time to prepare for Vanguard’s Warzone tie-ins and we understand it has a significant amount of content planned for the battle royale game, which will officially transition to a World War II setting, just months after shifting to the 1980s.

The plans include an entirely new Warzone map – the series’ largest and most ambitious to date – this time planned to coincide with the release of the game rather than arriving months later.

The Vanguard map is said to be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II and is significantly larger than Warzone’s current Verdansk environment.

New vehicles will be added to cater to the huge size of the Pacific map, we were told, as well as technology updates powered by the Modern Warfare engine (both Vanguard and Warzone will share technology, unlike 2020’s Cold War).

The addition means that EA’s Battlefield series, which is set to adopt a near-future setting with new entry 2042, and Call of Duty Warzone will essentially switch settings later this year.

Activision declined to comment on this story when contacted, but noted that it does have one Call of Duty-related reveal planned this week: Warzone’s Season 4 reveal trailer, which will premiere during Summer Game Fest Kickoff Live.

Activision is doubling down on Call of Duty production this year, following the huge success of Warzone, which has attracted over 100 million players.

VGC understands that virtually every internal studio at Activision is now working on Call of Duty.

Last edited:

rob305

I wonder if theyre only going to swap out the map or also altering the game mechanics (separate attachments etc).

The leaked black ops warzone video in the rural mountains showed the black ops UI and you were able to pick up attachments separately like in PUBG/Apex/Blackout

carlosrox

Banned
Please PLEASE make a mode or mini map that is WW2 only.

I would fucking flip my shit if they did that.

Would be a dream come true.

I love WZ to death but seeing WW2 stuff with this gameplay/engine would be magnificent.

CitizenZ

Banned
Damn, predicted this when they were announcing changes prior to the latest change. Running around with an MP 40 sounds fcking fun to me.

Sounds like a chance for Battlefield to return its place as CoD’s fierce rival and threat. People will always prefer modern settings over antiques.

Yeah now everyone is complaining about WW2 but when COD was modern/futuristic everyone was giving it shit...oh it went too far away from its roots, we want boots on the ground. Now again in 3 years they announce a WW2 game and now nobody is interested in...can never please fans.

wipeout364

This might be ok as I’ve been playing COD the last couple of years so going to WW2 will mean I can just focus on Battlefield 2042 this year(as long as it delivers). I probably will need a break from COD; the WW2 setting is so overplayed and sledgehammer is the worst studio on the roster so it’s probably going to be a bad COD this year.

Last edited:
Yeah now everyone is complaining about WW2 but when COD was modern/futuristic everyone was giving it shit...oh it went too far away from its roots, we want boots on the ground. Now again in 3 years they announce a WW2 game and now nobody is interested in...can never please fans.

Fans have been more than happy with MW 2019 type content. This WW2 is disappointing to say the least, be it in Battlefield or COD

VN1X

Banned
Cool, might even install WW2 on PC again as I hear it's in a much better state now as it was compared to its initial launch period.

Isn't Vanguard supposed to be an alternate history setting though? Like Wolfenstein?

ZywyPL

Banned
I remember after so many futuristic shooters everyone wanted a return to WW2. Even at the time I thought; you guys are all insane. You all want it cause you don't have it, not cause it would be fun.

At some point people were just sick and tired of all the futuristic setting and exoskeleton jumping and sliding BS, hence they wanted something that's way more grounded. Also, as the graphics progress, people want to see how something that's been great years ago but limited by the tech available back then, to be re-done with up-to-date modern technology. In a few years from now peopel will be (once again) sick and tired of modern/not too distant future setting as well and will want to see space setting/exoskeletons back once again.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think it's good that we have a WWII and modern/near future shooter. Rather than them outputting the same era and vying against each other.

jigglet

Banned
At some point people were just sick and tired of all the futuristic setting and exoskeleton jumping and sliding BS, hence they wanted something that's way more grounded. Also, as the graphics progress, people want to see how something that's been great years ago but limited by the tech available back then, to be re-done with up-to-date modern technology. In a few years from now peopel will be (once again) sick and tired of modern/not too distant future setting as well and will want to see space setting/exoskeletons back once again.

Yes but "near future" didn't have to mean jet packs and wall running. Look at Black Ops 2 - it was based in today's technology with a sprinkling of tech here and there.

So we end up with either far future or primitive sticks and mud in the trenches in WW2. Nothing in between. Why are we only playing at the extremes? That's what annoys me, how it was either wall running or WW2, like there was no other possibility in between. I remember 5 years ago the moment you talked about basing it in the near future, you'd have people screaming at you saying they didn't want wall running. What does one thing have to do with another? Why was there some golden universal rule that near future = jet packs and wall running? Give me BO2 setting any day of the week. Even after 10 years of no WW2 games I never got nostalgic for it. Fuck that shit.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Korean War am cry.
Vietnam War am cry.
Other countries that are not USA that have been in war in interesting places am cry.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Cod wwii is the cod I'd had as much fun in as cod MW2019.

Also gets in check with every second cod is the best.

Finally, someone who speaks my language!

0CXUpym.png

Joey.

Since Sony has cod marketing rights, I think this is proof there won't be a E3 state of play.

Ah very true. Forgot Sony has the marketing rights.
I guess we'll see it at Sony's summer showcase (which they better have one.....)

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Don't care all that much for Warzone, but I'm damn happy it's WW2 time again. Best setting there is for shooters! Might even reinstall the fucking gigabyte hogger again.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I'm curious to see how this is gonna be any different than the last WWII title they put out. Which, seemed pretty cool, it just didn't have a ton of staying power unfortunately.

They can definitely do something entertaining, I think they just really need to focus on what makes COD fun and well, like COD. Stop trying so hard to borrow other ideas, etc. To me, ever since Modern Warfare, the COD series just really revolved around cool killstreaks, weapons & gear, good/great maps, and perks. Nothing wrong with that at all, but lean into it harder.

With Warzone they effectively have a Fortnite for adults. And they've figured out a business model of pushing out the yearly full price COD game and bullying Warzone players into buying it so they can level up the new meta guns... and get a little variety in while leveling up the battle pass. Sure modern settings are more popular but they are pushing this shit out every year... they need a little variety. WW2 Vanguard doesn't need to be the biggest COD game ever, it just needs to engage Warzone players and hold down the fort until Modern Warfare 2.

And Warzone will still have all the modern guns no matter what they do with the map. So long as people have their red dots and variable zoom sniper scopes they are not gonna care that the new map has WW2 trappings.

The real challenge is fixing what's wrong at Treyarch. Granted Black Ops Pandemic edition was set up to fail, but BO4 was a mess as well.

I mean what else can we done in WW2 that we haven't seen ? I think some next gen rendition of Omaha beach Can be nice but gameplay wise what can be done tbh it would be the same like all the others with ha little bit better graphics ( in cold wars case even the graphics weren't better)
I would've prefered advanced warfighter 2 stuff my self
That would've been amazing in warzone aswell
Warzone literally started in present day went to coldwar era and now going to WW2 is hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom