• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare now weighs in at over 200 GB on PC

Bullet Club

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare now weighs in at over 200 GB on PC

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare just got an update, patch 1.23.0. The patch adds the newly increased 200 player count to Warzone’s Verdansk map, but it also balloons Modern Warfare’s install footprint to well over 200 gigabytes. The game may not even fit on a 250 GB SSD anymore.

Shortly after the update, Redditor vanillaricethrowaway posted a screengrab of the Modern Warfare install folder on their PC, which showed a total size of 209 GB. That’s even bigger than initial estimates for Modern Warfare + Warzone on PC, which put the total install size at around 197 GB. When Warzone arrived, it wound up needing less space than anticipated, but the game has added new modes and other additional content with its battle passes, and the amount of space it takes up now has officially become enormous.

To verify, I checked my own Modern Warfare folder, and it’s even worse: Modern Warfare is taking up 235 GB on my older HDD. That’s a bit on the excessive side, even now as storage typically comes in terabyte-plus sizes.

Games are getting bigger across the board, but Modern Warfare is far beyond just about everything else. Even Destiny 2, with all the additional Shadowkeep content installed, hasn’t yet cracked the 100 GB mark on PC (despite early estimates of 165 GB).

The Reddit thread offers several theories as to why Call of Duty: Warzone takes up so much space, most having to do with uncompressed data being easier to process on lower-end systems. Whatever the reason, though, it’s forcing me – and probably plenty of other players – to think hard about how I want to budget my storage space.

Source: PCGamesN

This game is a beefy prick.

Pretty sure that on console the size is building so you can’t have many other games on your hard drive !!!!

Less games = less options and competition on what to play

Although I find it funny that cod has a ‘size reduce option’. Might be helpful for some, but not keen on the concept of removing chunks of the game !!!

I have a pro and over the last few months the amount of games I have installed has plummeted in
The fight to clear space for eh next ‘update’ (the copy function really grinds my gears as well, no matter how much it is needed)

Maybe my own fault for putting rdr2, got sport, gta5 and dirt rally on at the same time 🙈😂

But yeah, it’s starting to take things to extremes (I know I can increase the storage, or add an external drive. But should I have to ?). I know your drive space isn’t infinite, but in this day a base console is going to struggle to hold more than 2 or 3 top or popular games 😱

Good job I have my trusty 360 as my arcade machine (games seem tiny over there 👍😂)

Rikkori

Their other option would've been for the game to run like shit. Sadly this is the downsides of HDDs, gotta add duplicates.

CuNi

CoD is having 200GB and at the same time Bungie plans on vaulting content because it's reaching 120GB on Consoles.. what a time to live in..

Their other option would've been for the game to run like shit. Sadly this is the downsides of HDDs, gotta add duplicates.
Fuck off do you. That might be true of open world games...but it's not true of something like COD with discreet loading that occurs and ensures that everything needed is in RAM *before* you get into the match. If you need an asset on every map (or a lot of them) stick them in a common archive that you always have loaded into RAM. Don't bloat my storage with god knows how many useless copies because you want to bake shit like every gun model into each individual map file (something which COD atleast used to do).

Rikkori

Fuck off do you. That might be true of open world games...but it's not true of something like COD with discreet loading that occurs and ensures that everything needed is in RAM *before* you get into the match. If you need an asset on every map (or a lot of them) stick them in a common archive that you always have loaded into RAM. Don't bloat my storage with god knows how many useless copies because you want to bake shit like every gun model into each individual map file (something which COD atleast used to do).

You can't load everything into ram. That's the whole point.

Quezacolt

i didnt even bother trying this trash. What a lack of respect for the consumer.

It's not only the size of the game itself, wich is ridiculous, but also the size of the updates.

i've had friends that play this, and some days they couldnt play it because the updates were too big and it would take hours to download with their net.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The game is so bad too. I haven't played every COD game since the original MW, but it's by far the worst of the ones I did. I am done with this series.

Even if this was the reason why this game's installation is so enormous (which it's not), it doesn't explain why every single patch with minor features and battlepass loot grind shit requires 30GB of patches. And it doesn't explain why there are tons of similar titles that aren't issuing 30GB patches every 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Rikkori

The game is so bad too. I haven't played every COD game since the original MW, but it's by far the worst of the ones I did. I am done with this series.

Even if this was the reason why this game's installation is so enormous (which it's not), it doesn't explain why every single patch with minor features and battlepass loot grind shit requires 30GB of patches. And it doesn't explain why there are tons of similar titles that aren't issuing 30GB patches every 3 weeks.

Because not all games are done on the same engine nor in the same way. But they're not alone in having to do big patches just due to how everything's packed & organised. Similar situation happens with R6 Siege & Path of Exile, just two I'm aware of but I'm sure there's more.

Like I said, they had the option to either ship a worse looking game or have players deal with more stuttering due to streaming. There's no way around that while relying on a HDD and having weak CPUs. Especially since them having 60 fps on consoles necessitates even more fine-tuning for CPU usage & HDD usage.

The rule of thumb is: don't think you know better than perhaps the best engineering team in gaming development. There's without a doubt good reasons why the game is the way it is and why randoms' suggestions aren't feasible.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Because not all games are done on the same engine nor in the same way. But they're not alone in having to do big patches just due to how everything's packed & organised. Similar situation happens with R6 Siege & Path of Exile, just two I'm aware of but I'm sure there's more.

Like I said, they had the option to either ship a worse looking game or have players deal with more stuttering due to streaming. There's no way around that while relying on a HDD and having weak CPUs. Especially since them having 60 fps on consoles necessitates even more fine-tuning for CPU usage & HDD usage.

The rule of thumb is: don't think you know better than perhaps the best engineering team in gaming development. There's without a doubt good reasons why the game is the way it is and why randoms' suggestions aren't feasible.

So there are two problems here. One is the install footprint of the game, and the other is the crazy huge patches that come out constantly. Both of these things are unprecedented in vidya. From reading about PoE, it seems they put everything in one file, which maybe they regret, but it also means that the total footprint of the game doesn't balloon - even today it is something like 30GB. Likewise, Rainbow Six Siege is much older than COD MW, with much more content, and its install size is 90GB. Its season patches are something like 10GB, which is a fraction of MW's.

I don't think I know better, but they have not explained why it is this way, and why they need to issue these massive patches every few weeks. Literally 3 weeks ago on June 11th, they issued a 45GB patch. They're releasing patches that can fill up a whole Blu-Ray every few weeks. I don't think muh duplicated assets is the only reason why, because other games have the same limitations, and don't engage in this insanity. MW is a good looking game, but it's also a linear FPS that takes place on small maps, except for Warzone.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I just had to delete an absurd amount of stuff on my PS4 to download a fucking update for Season 5. It won't even let you go into the game and delete stuff like Spec Ops and Campaign so as to make this easier, keep getting errors when you try and it tells you to download the update first...it's like what the fuck man. I'm using my launch PS4 still with stock HD, I basically need half of the fucking thing free to download updates ffs

Abear21

Banned
Finally deleted this game and moved on to hoping this years cod is better. Not holding my breath. Multiplayer Maps were terrible as was TTK this year. Guns behind battle pass and battle Royale focus made the choice to free up 200gb easy

T-Cake

I just had to delete an absurd amount of stuff on my PS4 to download a fucking update for Season 5. It won't even let you go into the game and delete stuff like Spec Ops and Campaign so as to make this easier

That is what the PS5 is promising so hopefully things will get better next gen.

mcz117chief

Uncompressed data is just so annoying. I get that they want to have the perfect graphics while also making the game run fine but at the cost of 200 gbs? Shit, I'd gladly take a hit to texture quality and shadows rather than have a third of my HDD reserved for one game (because of the annoying copy system you basically need to have enough space on your PlayStation to hold the game twice so around 400 gigs).

nkarafo

Games are too large now and they will get much bigger this gen. The issue is that mechanical HDDs do have enough space for many games (my main HDD for PC games is 4 TB) but they are going to be too slow to handle next gen games. SSDs are fast but they are too small to store these behemoths.

I don't see how this is going to be solved.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Games are too large now and they will get much bigger this gen. The issue is that mechanical HDDs do have enough space for many games (my main HDD for PC games is 4 TB) but they are going to be too slow to handle next gen games. SSDs are fast but they are too small to store these behemoths.

Compression.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Haven't played in months, yet it sits installed on my drive. I like it, but I vastly prefer WWII in multiplayer. Maybe it's time to uninstall...

Or at least let me the fuck get rid of Warzone.

JonnyMP3

Because one of the point and benefits of SSD is not having to duplicate assets on memory for faster seek times like you do on HDD.
Instead of having multiple copies of a certain asset, it only needs 1 copy that it can find over and over again instantly. Thus saving storage space.

Last edited:
It's irritating but I've gotten used to only keeping what games I am playing on the HDD. And I am enjoying this version very much.

If the cause for the size is because of uncompressed data I'm okay with that as it looks great compared to previous years.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Shame that most devs don't do what Bend did for Days Gone, releasing a final unified build that shrank the space required by 30%.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not 100 sure of course, but my guess is it's because of all that bloat shit in the battle passes no one wants anyway...

MiguelItUp

I deleted this game because of is weigh... No joke...
I essentially did the same thing. A guilty pleasure that scratches a specific itch from time to time. But it just keeps getting larger. While I have the space for it, it's just absolutely ridiculous. So I uninstalled. I mean, there's nothing that even justifies that size, it's ridiculous.

Finally deleted this game and moved on to hoping this years cod is better. Not holding my breath. Multiplayer Maps were terrible as was TTK this year. Guns behind battle pass and battle Royale focus made the choice to free up 200gb easy
I mean Treyarch will be taking over Warzone so part of that won’t be changed.

Treyarch already seem to be slipping into it with that Lvl 100 skin. That’s a Treyarch skin if I’ve ever seen one.

GriffinCorp

Man, what total madness. They could do better than that.

825GB is going to full up quickly. I hope the list of approved drives comes out early next year. I want to drop 1TB drive in my PS5.

JonnyMP3

I'm going to assume Activision are going to recompile this game without duplicate assets for next gen and hopefully reduce gamesize by a lot.
Crap! For consoles I mean.

Last edited:

manfestival

I guess this feels like less an issue for me since I have it stored on a 3TB drive. Though the overall space is an important issue. I feel like this overlooks the even bigger issue... This last patch was over 50 GIGS! the patch was bigger than most games. Fortunately I have a Gb connection but not everyone has this. You basically need to preload and set the game to update overnight in many cases in hopes of playing it sometime the next day.

nemiroff

Gold Member
That's funny, I was just talking about this with my friend. I had MW as the only game on one of my drives, a 250GB SSD, but the latest update failed because of lack of free space, holy shit... :messenger_astonished:

I also have the Xbox version, and for some reason there I can optionally delete any pack I want, like f.ex. campaign and spec ops, leaving only multiplayer. Why not on PC.......................

Last edited:

T-Cake

Man, what total madness. They could do better than that.

825GB is going to full up quickly. I hope the list of approved drives comes out early next year. I want to drop 1TB drive in my PS5.

825GB might be the raw, unformatted space. It may drop to 750GB or something!

Last edited:

FranXico

giphy.gif

Riven326

Banned
Today's game developers just fucking suck. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, we got much smaller games that were much better than the trash they're releasing today. What,is the excuse for the game being over 200gb? It's s fucking shooter. Are the devs at IW really this incompetent?

mcz117chief

Today's game developers just fucking suck. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, we got much smaller games that were much better than the trash they're releasing today. What,is the excuse for the game being over 200gb? It's s fucking shooter. Are the devs at IW really this incompetent?
They are too lazy or just don't care about proper compression. The first time I saw that was with Titanfall which was 20gigs of game and 30gigs of uncompressed audio. I was in fucking shock when the installation finished and then a pop-up appeared saying that it will now install 30 gigs of audio...

tillbot8

Banned
Next gen consoles are in for a lot of deleting files! I hope downloads will be quick, I get 3mb a second from a 200mb/s router on my PS4. I have to wait overnight fr any sizeable new game, if I can only choose 4-5 games at a time that's a lot of waiting :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom