• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Last-Gen - Can PS4/PS4 Pro & Xbox One/X Deliver 60fps?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A final look at the core Modern Warfare 2 experience as delivered on the older PS4 and Xbox One systems. The fact of the matter is the game is a cross-gen project, with PS4 obviously taking priority as a target platform in optimising for 60fps. All of which leaves the base Xbox One - a less powerful machine - clearly struggling to deliver.

adamsapple

Yet another case of developers pointlessly pushing way more pixels on One X in favor of performance just because it has a bigger GPU.

- Base XBO: Runs at 900p. Hits 60 but drops a lot to 50s, 40s and even 30s.
- Typically 45~60 FPS in SP campaign with screen tearing. Some set pieces nose dive to 30 FPS
- MP struggles to hit 60 with drops to 50s. Groundwar mode runs between 40~60 FPS

- Base PS4: 1080p target with dynamic drops. Targets 60 FPS and runs much better than XBO. Can still drop to 50s in stress areas.
- MP runs respectably. Stress areas in XBO run at 60 with some drops. Groundwar runs between 55~60 with vsync

- PS4 Pro: Best performing version in the last gen consoles. Max 1536p with horizontal drops.
- SP and MP, including groundwar mostly runs at 60 FPS

- One X runs worse performance but higher resolution. 2160p with horizontal drops.
- SP can drop to 40s with screen tearing. Death match games run at 60 but groundwar drops to 45~60 FPS

- Last gen consoles also have visual features cut, textures, shadow, motion blur etc over PS5|SX versions.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I question even releasing games for original Xbox One at this point. Series S already perfectly serves the function of being the more affordable lower-spec Xbox for consumers. With RE4 Remake Capcom is releasing for the PS4 but not the Xbox One and I can see the logic.

adamsapple

I question even releasing games for original Xbox One at this point. Series S already perfectly serves the function of being the more affordable lower-spec Xbox for consumers. With RE4 Remake Capcom is releasing for the PS4 but not the Xbox One and I can see the logic.

Japanese developers dropping old Xbox is more common but I don't expect Western devs to start doing it this early, or as long as they keep making cross-gen games at least.

adamsapple

How soon into PS4’s lifespan did call of duty drop support for last-gen/ps3?
Black Ops 3 on PS3/360 was released in 2015. But it only had the MP and Zombies mode, not the campaign.

Advanced Warfare was the last full game incl. SP campaign (in 2014).

If they are indeed taking the next year off for a new release, and just putting out Modern Warfare 2 DLC, the next proper game will skip PS4/XBO.

Last edited:

RIPN2022

The Xbox One was graphically behind when it launched back in 2013. Battlefield 4 and AC Black Flag just about passed the 720p/60fps/30fps mark for those games. Having to plan for it when we are on a new generation of games is just crazy by this point.

RIPN2022

Black Ops 3 on PS3/360 was released in 2015. But it only had the MP and Zombies mode, not the campaign.

Advanced Warfare was the last full game incl. SP campaign (in 2014).

If they are indeed taking the next year off for a new release, and just putting out Modern Warfare 2 DLC, the next proper game will skip PS4/XBO.

It was such a downgrade its incredibly it got released. A prime example of a cash grab.

Base PS4 still doing good imo.
A bit too good lol when can devs leave it behind? Og xbox one cross-gen development needs to cease I can't wait to see true next-gen games on my Series x with Ratchet, which looks incredible,we have a good idea of good PS5 only games can look.

Arioco

4K looks a little to ambitious for One X, or maybe the DRS is not aggressive enough. A weird choice when the hardware could've pushed dynamic 1800p at perfect 60 fps.

adamsapple

John has been posting pictures from Warzone 2.0's base XBO version.

Jesus lol

FiKocI8XEAI_jmA

FiLPsOMWAAA69cX

Top Bottom