• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Mobile has 500 million downloads, $1 billion in player spending since 2019

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Call of Duty: Mobile has crossed 500 million downloads worldwide since its launch in October 2019. The mobile game has also brought in over $1 billion in player spending, said Activision president Rob Kostich during today’s earnings call of parent company Activision Blizzard.

The recent Tokyo Escape expansion is the highest-grossing expansion so far, Kostich said. Both Call of Duty: Mobile and Call of Duty: Warzone have tripled the monthly active users of Call of Duty to more than 150 million in the past couple of years. Those players are spending money in seasonal content in those games, and they’re also purchasing the $60 Call of Duty game, pushing last fall’s Call of Duty: Black Ops — Cold War to new records.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I guess that's still les profitable than retail copies at 70USD or how much is CoD these days...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Too lazy to read if that $1 billion is net revenue for them, or before any digital store cuts, but either way assuming it's net revenue, it means the average downloader only paid $2 worth of mtx.

Like all F2P, probably 80% of people paid $0 and the hardcore gamers paid the rest.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A long time ago, I was into a competitive mobile game.

I was in the free-to-play camp, trying not to spend any money. I was lucky and joined a pretty competitive group, so got really good rewards, so no need to spend. But there was this one group that we could never win against.

After a while, the developer decided to give a kind of achievement to spenders by giving them points on how much they spend, this feature also allowed you and other people to calculate how much you have spent on the game... to some players consternation.

I calculated just one of the players they had on the other team, he had spent a total of $30,000usd on the game since he joined o_O And he wasn't stopping. The achievement points just kept on climbing.

I quit the game a year later when I got burnt out on it. I've always heard of "whales", but I just thought they spent "some" money on the game. I didn't know they were on a different playing field altogether.
I wonder who these people are. Like is their salary £30k a year, or are they just obscenely wealthy? Like a Premier League footballer on £250k a week, £30k is jack shit. Or some play boy from Dubai?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ending up getting a game boy color, advance, sp, micro, psp, and finally a 2DS between handhelds and consoles in front of a tv is how I game. Anyway well done Activision.

Top Bottom