• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty, Last of Us, God of War Devs Set Up New AAA Studio

reksveks

I did wonder where the Sony VASG guy went, apparently created a new studio with Korean money. Korean being SmileGate whom make/publish Crossfire.

It's a good time to make a studio it seems

From article

As announced in a press release, That's No Moon comes with huge AAA pedigree, with many of its senior figures coming from a background at PlayStation studios. Michael Mumbauer (formerly head of PlayStation's Visual Arts Group) is CEO, and Tina Kowalewski (formerly head of product development at Sony Santa Monica) is Chief Strategy Officer

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool I guess.
But as with all these new studios, it will be several years before we get to see anything from them.

whyman

That logo looks familiar, I just can't think where from.
Watch Dogs
hQfGkNZ.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I know I'm not one to talk considering my avatar but for a high profile game studio I think that logo (while neat) is kind of lazy as well. It literally is just the initials of the studio name pasted on top of each other.

Zannegan

Hate to say it, but "inspire empathy" is usually a warning sign coming from game devs (and authors... and teachers, come to think on it). The literal meaning if the words would be fantastic, of course, but in practice it usually means "heavy-handed moralizing within."

Hope to be wrong though. Maybe it'll be more along the lines of Journey with guns.

Last edited:

Aion002

Smilegate is really diversifying, from FPS (Crossfire), to Gacha (Epic Seven) and MMORPG (Lost Ark)... Now funding a triple A game? That's cool!

Zeroing

Banned
Stupid studio name though.
Could the worse, I mean back in the 80s we had a tech company that named itself “Apple” it’s a matter of getting used to the name.

I am pretty sure they wanted to name their studio Death Star but Disney would sue them.

Valt7786

Hopefully it's people from those studios who didn't want to work with the Wokies anymore and they deliver something great.

l2ounD

As announced in a press release, That's No Moon comes with huge AAA pedigree, with many of its senior figures coming from a background at PlayStation studios. Michael Mumbauer (formerly head of PlayStation's Visual Arts Group) is CEO, and Tina Kowalewski (formerly head of product development at Sony Santa Monica) is Chief Strategy Officer

I wonder who they hired as the actual talent as designers, artists, engineers

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
God of War spinoff where Kratos is killed by Abby in the beginning of the game. It will be a take on Christian mythology this time and end with Abby no scoping God and finishing him off with the Staff of Moses, which is really an ancient golf club.

Given that one of their stated goals is to "inspire empathy," I wouldn't hold my breath. Sounds like a talented bunch though.

C'mon! Don't be silly.

You don't have to be woke to want to inspire empathy.

Artists have been doing it with their art long before the false empathy and virtue signalling of the woke movement, and they'll continue doing it long after it's fizzled out.

"...single player, narratively driven, action adventure storytelling."

tenor.gif

Some of us enjoy those games. If you don't there's plenty for you to play already from other sources.

Considering how much the industry is tending towards MP, MTX-riddled, GaaS, RPG-lite, BR games... more SP narrative-driven stuff is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
they have openings for all key leads on the project so atm it's probably just a design doc draft. See you in 2026

a8hfMOK.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hmmm. If they make a bad game, the name is opening them up to some creative trolling:

That’s no moon, it’s a suck station.

or

That’s no moon, it’s a shit creation.

…feel free to add more.

Last edited:

Zannegan

C'mon! Don't be silly.

You don't have to be woke to want to inspire empathy.

Artists have been doing it with their art long before the false empathy and virtue signalling of the woke movement, and they'll continue doing it long after it's fizzled out.
Oh, of course. It's just become one of those buzz terms that no longer reflects the literal meaning of its words.

Again though, I'd love to be wrong. *shrug*

Last edited:
Top Bottom