• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of duty games underrated?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Now I know lots of people will think this is related to the recent aquisition and I know im not going to persuade you otherwise but please dont spam the thread with this. If you dont like the topic just go to another thread. Thank you.

This was actually somthing ive had on my mind since before the aquisition, while watching the DF analysis for vanguard its still commendable how decent the visuals are.

This thread is more about the singleplayer and other co-op modes with a narrative (zombies)
While the COD formula might be overdone for some, there is not really anything like it.
Despite it being an old formula done many times its still rather fun and they are made well with great tech and a attention to detail.

Ive been playing Black ops 3 that I got with PS+ last month and there aren't many other games with this production value and a sci fi story. It even has big hollywood actors in it.

The set pieces and on rails segments are still some of the best in gaming. Games like TLOU2, Spiderman and uncharted 4 have on rails sections and people really enjoy them, COD games in this area are just as good, arguably better, so I think these sections of COD should be praised.

So depite the formula not being to different they are still good quality and unique in the market place.

Last edited:

Jaybe

It’s a shame another AAA developer hasn’t taken on on the single player military FPS genre. It’s fertile space to innovate and take the mantle from CoD and Battlefield. Give me something with writing at the level of Spec Ops the Line and a decent enough mechanics and it would stand out.

Sosokrates

Yeah, go play Ghost.

Its quite surprising the comback Infinity ward have made, after the exodus of vince and crew and then the disappointing cod ghosts I thought IW were not the studio they once were, but they came back better with Infinite warfare and are at the top of there game with the modern warfare reboot + warzone. There tech is also some of the best in the industry.

LordOfChaos

It's number one and number two of the best selling games last year, define underrated?

FJmBPPpVkAA3cG_

I guess it just being here every year, sometimes multiple times a year, just means people don't talk about it as much as something just expected, but it's still a juggernaut

Last edited:

Catphish

Even though I buy them regularly, I’m ultimately disappointed with CoD as a franchise and, in some aspects, outright pissed off.

The first two games were homages to those who fought and died in WWII. They could have continued with that respect and historical reverence and made games that focused on specific wars or conflicts, and paid tribute to those who served and/or died in them.

But that obviously didn’t happen. Instead we get neon purple incendiary shotguns in WWII and a re-write of history that forces an inclusionary narrative that never fucking existed.

You want to prioritize entertainment over history? Fine. Keep your games fictional and quit pissing on the memory of those who made your sales possible.

🖕🏻

DavidGzz

People just like to hate on the most popular shit. It's human nature, I guess. There is a mom and pop donut shop in my town, everyone raves about it like they have the best donuts, but in reality this chain grocery store has better donuts in their bakery. Mcdonald's quarter pounder is probably better than your local burger joint but people don't like to admit these things. There are even people who quit liking certain bands as soon as they get too popular for their tastes. There is probably a name for this condition.

Sosokrates

It's number one and number two of the best selling games last year, define underrated?

FJmBPPpVkAA3cG_

I guess it just being here every year, sometimes multiple times a year, just means people don't talk about it as much as something just expected, but it's still a juggernaut

In terms of quality and relevantcy, on here and other parts of the internet people tend to write them off in terms of quality and think the series is burnt out. I think the sci fi set peice style of COD games will always be fun, its the time period and conflicts which get burnt out.

Sosokrates

Even though I buy them regularly, I’m ultimately disappointed with CoD as a franchise and, in some aspects, outright pissed off.

The first two games were homages to those who fought and died in WWII. They could have continued with that respect and historical reverence and made games that focused on specific wars or conflicts, and paid tribute to those who served and/or died in them.

But that obviously didn’t happen. Instead we get neon purple incendiary shotguns in WWII and a re-write of history that forces an inclusionary narrative that never fucking existed.

You want to prioritize entertainment over history? Fine. Keep your games fictional and quit pissing on the memory of those who made your sales possible.

🖕🏻

Yes there are definitely some COD games which disappointed me, in MW3 I was really bored of the story it was killing endless waves of baddies for a lot of that game and vanguards story looks pretty similer to whats been done before.
I think they really need to keep the time period and conflicts fresh and varried.

Warablo

If you're into a multiplayer it can be fun, some people have that CoD phase where they play it ton but eventually grow out of it.

The single player can be entertaining, I know Modern Warfare (most recent one) had some cool levels like the night raid. I enjoyed the space campaign one and advanced warfare one with Kevin Spacey.

GreatnessRD

Whats was wrong with the remake? Its the same but just better graphics.
Nah, it played like the newer games with the snap to shoot aim-assist mechanics. The OG version didn't have that in it. Didn't come until MW2. (Yes, aim assist was in the OG COD4, but it wasn't as strong and aiming for you like in today's games) Then they added all those stupid cosmetic goofiness. Not my COD4, that's all.

ZehDon

Generally speaking, COD is one of the rare franchises where I'd say its rated just about right. I don't think they're amazing games - bar a few notable exceptions - but they're not (all) complete garbage.

Paasei

I always enjoyed the campaigns, at least those I have played. Can't say the same for the multiplayer. But the ones that were good, were REALLY good, so there's that.
Said it many times before, but I used to play CoD4 and CoD2(to a lesser extend, too young) very competitively on PC. CoD4 because of promod and CoD2, because it was already good on its own.

From time to time it still bothers me greatly that the supported competitive scene moved to consoles. I understand it, it's far more accessible to most players, but damn, it just looks retarded (imo).

But for what I said above, I enjoyed CoD4 and CoD2 the most of all the ones I've played. I like MW2 multiplayer the least. It hurt too much at the time and was never able to give it fair/honest chance, also for what I said above.....

CoD4 - Those were the best times for me in gaming

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
CoD is among the other fastfood games - FIFA, Madden, NBA2K and most Ubisoft games.

I haven't touched any of them for over 5 years.
- and I'm probably not going back until their yearly releases stops.

kikkis

I understand on message boards people don't like super popular things, but reviewers giving vanguard 73 mc is just stupid.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Like all major game franchises there are some really good call of duty games and some very average call of duty games. The average one still have better production than a lot of games though.

the only problem I have is the multiplayer modes these days are to formulaic, there’s always a set number of paths to go down and seems to be getting less sniper points and wide open spaces.

war zone is good though

jigglet

Banned
Black Ops 2: THE GOAT

BO3 below that.

Then Advance Warfare. Yeah fuck the haters, I loved it.

MW2019 and BO4 could also have been great but ruined due to SBMM.

Marvel

could never
I love CoD, buy em all. Even the shit games like CW and Vanguard.

Warzone is my main focus though.

rolandss

CoD is generally always fun, but depends almost entirely on weapons and maps. The last one I got was Modern Warfare and I loved it, until it started getting bloated patch after bloated patch and they added Warzone and also tried to push Cold War on players. I don’t really rate futuristic titles like Black Ops. Take out the way Activision manage CoD and pushing extra content and paid dlc, the core games are always pretty decent.

I have no interest in Warzone.

FJmBPPpVkAA3cG_

Fifa sells truck loads. Doesn't mean its a better playing game than Pro Evolution.

Call Of Duty has devolved into a pile of human filth with each new iteration. The last good one was MW2019.

Vanguard had and still has issues. Weapons not balanced. The aim assist being stronger with each new game means a fucking 9 year old can jump on with a controller and get 100+ kills because the game literally aims for you and tracks players through walls or other objects. There's COD streamers being so fed up with the aim assist that they've moved from mouse and keyboard over to controller.
Objective play is a fucking joke. Who plays objective modes when the player with the highest kill count gets 'best play' of the match. Objectives don't look cool on youtube. 100+ kills does.

The game has been dumbed down to the point where its now purely catered for the casual gamer. Its a game where you don't need to think or consider your actions. It's become all about kills, kills, kills.
I hope we get a proper shooter to give COD a kick up the nuts.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
COD formula is boring. Instead they should revive that cancelled Starcraft FPS game. Or just keep COD as the multiplat money maker like Minecraft. Seriously they have got Halo, id Software, Coalition(apparently working on a new IP), Perfect Dark etc. Make one final COD thats free to play like Warzone and have the other studios work on something else.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Cod does a lot of stuff right which is why people come back.

Gun Models, re-load animations (for the most part), fluidity in movement and graphics (they aren't top tier but they always look clean).

The problem with CoD is that after 3 months of releasing, the games balancing seems to go all over the place due to the patches and the games feel drastically different every patch that comes out. Whilst balancing is good, they definitely go overboard, and these days even more bugs are found post launch.

So yeah, the games do a lot right, that's why they sell so much and claw people back, but I don't think the teams do a good job balancing things anymore.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Every franchise Microsofts gets their hands on gets underrated on Gaf. The same happened with Bethesda's games.
Truth is, it's the second most sold game on psn 2021.

Its he best online shooter there is, no competition at all. A good or bad thing depending who you are.

Markio128

I had a lot of fun with Modern Warfare, but I haven’t enjoyed a COD since, to the point where I just don’t bother with them anymore. There will always be a big market for the twitch shooter, but the last few I tried were genuine clusterfucks.

Only the ones made by Treyarch, the rest in the series are really good. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is such a overlooked gen of a game IMO

MrFunSocks

Banned
On here? Definitely. This is a forum that voted like 70/30 in favour of only playing single player games vs playing any multiplayer games. It’s a forum that’s out of touch with the actual general gaming world.

The last week or so has been really eye opening. We have half the people trying to convince themselves and others that the literal biggest franchise on every console every year is actually irrelevant and no one cares about losing it. We then have the other half screaming that it’s going nowhere because the sales of it on PlayStation are too important to Microsoft.

COD is underrated here, especially lately, but in the outside world it’s widely “rated”.

Strider311

Infinite Warfare and Ghosts were both great. People were way too dramatic and hyperbolic regarding any shortcomings.

ParaSeoul

People just like to hate on the most popular shit. It's human nature, I guess. There is a mom and pop donut shop in my town, everyone raves about it like they have the best donuts, but in reality this chain grocery store has better donuts in their bakery. Mcdonald's quarter pounder is probably better than your local burger joint but people don't like to admit these things. There are even people who quit liking certain bands as soon as they get too popular for their tastes. There is probably a name for this condition.

artworks-000311575641-69xagq-t500x500.jpg

SpokkX

Last call of duty campaign i played was CoD 2 on xbox 360 release

Have the games changed since then? Remember it was kind of fun back then but still kind of simple…

I always figured the following games were pretty much reskins of CoD 2.. is this not correct?

LordOfChaos

In terms of quality and relevantcy, on here and other parts of the internet people tend to write them off in terms of quality and think the series is burnt out. I think the sci fi set peice style of COD games will always be fun, its the time period and conflicts which get burnt out.

Honestly I've only played one through and it was Infinite Warfare, that was a fun space romp.

Ethan 💔

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Most campaigns are boring. Gameplay is ehh. AI is super dumb. Leveldesign is.. okay at best. What holds it together are the set pieces and presentation and the cinematography. It's cool to drive a snowmobile during a cinematic set piece while shooting baddies. Fighting brain dead enemies in strictly linear levels with almost no feel for challenge while basically going from one scripted event to the other... isn't. Well, maybe the first time, but it wears off very quickly, mostly because of the lack of interactivity.

wvnative

Nah, it played like the newer games with the snap to shoot aim-assist mechanics. The OG version didn't have that in it. Didn't come until MW2. (Yes, aim assist was in the OG COD4, but it wasn't as strong and aiming for you like in today's games) Then they added all those stupid cosmetic goofiness. Not my COD4, that's all.

I'm playing the OG 360 version now and it absolutely has snap to aim.

Top Bottom