• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Cold War alpha |OT|

Fake

There are some really fun maps, but I not felling the weapons so far besides the shotgun.

And WTF they done with sniper? An entire time just used.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Gun sounds inferior to MW, but graphics are more clear(MW was blurry in ps4pro), "satellite" map is fun, other map is boring, maps looks like imaginative places created with an editor using ctrl+c("put one car there, and there, and there... great") unlike realistic believable maps in MW, no weapon mount?(made me happy(less campers) and sad(i like camping once in a while) at the same time), quick reload times, no double sprint, character jumps like spider man over the walls, game has a fast arcadey feeling like the old cods(which i didn't like), guns plays almost identical(same recoil-power-sound), 12 vs 12 mode with vehicles ridicilous right now.

Overall, i think it's not bad as i thought it will be, but definitely an inferior experience compared to MW. But we will see in time.

Tried it this evening and lasted two games before I felt the urge to kill rising. It's another Call of Duty. No lessons learned. If you like CoD, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't.

Allforce

Tried it this evening and lasted two games before I felt the urge to kill rising. It's another Call of Duty. No lessons learned. If you like CoD, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't.

It's another bog standard CoD we've been playing since CoD4, which is fine for millions of fans.

Problem is they completely raised the bar last year with MW and now that toothpaste is out of the tube. I gave up years ago on COD multiplayer but MW2019 is literally the only game where I routinely see things that absolutely blow my mind either from my own play or (more often) others.

It always reminds me of that old Metal Gear Solid V thread around here where people post crazy shit you never think would work actually working.

Is it me or do the maps just look bland and wash out, no proper texture or details to the environment, it kinda looks worse than MW from last year? Anyone else feeling this, or is it just me 😒

Fake

Is it me or do the maps just look bland and wash out, no proper texture or details to the environment, it kinda looks worse than MW from last year? Anyone else feeling this, or is it just me 😒

Differents engine. Thats why MW 2019 looks better. This is running a new engine totally different from MW.

We're still playing the alpha, but even after the final build will be no match for the MW 2019 engine.

Last edited:

DonF

I've been playing like 2 hours now and I like it. I can't quite put my finger why I like it. The maps are very detailed. The game is a looker on ps4 pro. Looks way better than the youtube videos. Also, mobility is great, netcode is kinda iffy, I know it's a beta but this game is fast so netcode must be up to the task. Loading screens are great haha.
Overall, I'm quite impressed.

Apocryphon

Differents engine. Thats why MW 2019 looks better. This is running a new engine totally different from MW.

We're still playing the alpha, but even after the final build will be no match for the MW 2019 engine.

Why would they build a new engine? This is barely an improvement over BO4. MW19's engine must have been available to them?

The variable resolution implementation is fucking awful. It looks bad enough on PS4 Pro, I can't imagine how rough it looks on base PS4!

The textures are all over the place but I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that they'll be consistently high quality at launch... on PS5. I ended up next to a van covered in rain droplets and thought it looked really good for a second, then I left cover and the resolution dropped so hard even my weapon was a pixelated mess.

Maps are average. Think I like Satellite the most, and it isn't a bad looking map for the most part.. but BF1's Sinai Desert looks better, is significantly larger, supports 64 players and still runs at 60fps on PS4 Pro.

I have never understood why Treyarch is so revered. Infinity Ward's games have always been better as far as I'm concerned and MW19 is peak CoD. This game looks like a meaningful step back in many areas.

Allforce

After some more time with it I don't want to straight up bash the game, it's going to be Coke and Pepsi at this point between this and MW and millions like one or the other or don't care and enjoy both. It's also an Alpha and the things I have problems with seem like they could be addressed and with swiftness.

decisions

Alpha is fun enough I suppose.

However went back to play MW after and CW is a huge downgrade in terms of graphics and gunplay.

MW is a truly special game in terms of its mechanics. I have absolutely no idea why they didn’t just directly
port them over.

Last edited:
Modern Warfare is not only the best COD ever, but up there with the best shooters ever made, I could care less what any of you think. You got something for all play styles from 150players to 2vs2, best controlling and sounding guns, top notch graphics, tons of content and updates, great maps, exciting campaign, its the complete package.

Havent tried cold war, but from what ive seen, its a step back in the engine alone. Give me MW rag doll physics and guns.

kikkis

While i graphics and animations where disappointment it's the sound that really bothered me. I also didn't like longer ttk, i just like mw style of just taking small tap at trigger and enemy goes down both from perspective of gratification and ability to get multi kills even if two enemies are facing towards me If i am fast enough on acquisition and reflex's.

I also think on consoles target acquisition works better than target following. On PC if doesn't really matter. I know some people just say that longer ttk "sky high skill ceiling" but i don't really agree. It's just different skill target acquisition and reflex's vs target following and in some other games recoil control.

Im actually surprised that they made a new engine for this. Usually it has been shared between the titles for a few years. I was sure MW engine would of been used for a few games or at least until full on next gen COD comes out.

Mr.ODST

Love the feel of the gunplay and comparing it MW its alot more like the old Call of Duty's, Graphics are decent on the Pro aswell

mcz117chief

Agreed. It's an Alpha. Although, I don't believe that it will look anywhere near as good as MW did, It will look a lot better than it does not when the retail version is released.
They might call in an alpha but this is basically a full release. It is feature complete, you got all the graphics, sounds and systems the full game will have, all it is missing is some content (a few guns, maybe killstreaks and perks, maps etc.) but this is the game we will get. They only call it "alpha" and "beta" so that people will use the excuse of "oh, it is just a alpha/beta, the full game will be completely different". A great example of this is Destiny, the alpha was exactly the same as the full game.

VN1X

Banned
Glad I already got in a cheap pre-order of this on PC. Game looks great! Love the focus on smaller more focussed maps for the normal multiplayer side of things. You can actually see the other players this time around! Amazing lol.

Some pros, like the gunsmith side and some of the perks are pretty cool. Loading seems faster (next gen can’t come soon enough though)

some cons, seems like a step backwards since mw2019. Guns lack weight and the recoil seems a bit out of whack on some. The firing sounds seems like they come from the original black ops, as do the models. They seem like toys compared to the weapons in mw. Also had a few instance when ads, where my aim jumped off the side, well away from where i was aiming and shooting. although that might just be alpha gremlins

went back to modern warfare after playing this and it was a clear step up. especially around hit detection and net code. (Can’t believe I am saying that !!!!)

first black ops I wanted to play since the first (gave the second and third a play, but only blops 2 multiplayer kinda clicked for me). Not so sure now.

At least the campaign looks spectacular 👍.

Same shit different year.. Just like madden and NHL they don't even bother trying anymore.

I can understand u not being a fan of COD but saying this is like NFL or FIFA. Every COD is its own game at least, they did innovate, they went to space and people shit on it, now 3 games in a row are boots on the ground and people again bitching its same. NHL and FIFA are literally the same game 4 years in a row with jsut new roster. COD has different engines, new settings, weapons, campaign, maps etc.

I mean COD will never change, if you want a twitch shooter with short TTK, thast COD for you. If you want another more slow feel, Battlefield is your game. Dont expect COD will ever be anything else. If it was it would just be a new IP.

Last edited:

Hestar69

I can understand u not being a fan of COD but saying this is like NFL or FIFA. Every COD is its own game at least, they did innovate, they went to space and people shit on it, now 3 games in a row are boots on the ground and people again bitching its same. NHL and FIFA are literally the same game 4 years in a row with jsut new roster. COD has different engines, new settings, weapons, campaign, maps etc.

I mean COD will never change, if you want a twitch shooter with short TTK, thast COD for you. If you want another more slow feel, Battlefield is your game. Dont expect COD will ever be anything else. If it was it would just be a new IP.

I like COD,I've been playing them since COD 2 on 360.. Sadly,the last COD I really thought was great was World at war.since then,they've all been pretty lackluster. Just my opinion on them. I want them to be great,Just like I was battlefield to be great again too (Bf1 and BF5 were awful IMO).

CrysisFreak

Banned
What the fuck is up with the brightness.
I'm playing on an OLED in HDR and I can't see shit in the shadows.
Fix this fucking shit.
And for the love of god make tryhard sliding and jumping around corners unviable.
The devs are so fucking incompetent my god.
Fix the fucking brightness.
Also I can't play with my friend, trash servers.

Neolombax

Played it a while a go on base ps4. Its surprisingly ok? Feels way more arcadey, which is fine to me. I like the maps, theyre distinct from one another.

M.W.

Seeing someone's health meter go down about 95% only to get sniped is the most annoying thing in this game.

Top Bottom