• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Cold War alpha |OT|

Codes 208

I’ve been watching streamers and the first complaint is that the lobbies are capped to 5 instead of 6, despite being 6v6
Gameplay is great but the resolution is truly incredible, at times it looks like it is barely pushing 720p
If you’re playing on a base PS4 that wouldn’t surprise me. Im guessing the lead system is the ps5 so the OG current gen systems are going to be feeling their age.

Droxcy

I played one match when it went live and couldn't find anymore since servers were getting trashed. Will play later tonight seems like it'll be a fun cod experience.

CitizenX

Banned
Gameplay is great but the resolution is truly incredible, at times it looks like it is barely pushing 720p

i was watching a little of the Dr. and you could see textures are popping in all over the place on the Russian map. others were also telling him to turn off film grain but there is no setting.

Isa

Gold Member
Its not bad, the resolution jumping is there, even on a Pro. I miss not being able to mount to cover. Its more arcadey as another user mentioned. Fun at times. Not sure I'll dip here.

THEAP99

Banned
Haven't played yet, will play later. Hearing it runs with a lot of fps drops. Is it true? I hope this isn't another bo4

Had a couple of games. It's already a million times better than Modern Snorefare. The quick scoping is nonsense, though. Just take it out of the game already, it's fucking retarded.

SkylineRKR

Lots of quick scoping. Personally I liked MW much better. Heavier feel though the TTK and camping sucked.

This game also looks kind of laughable.

BlackM1st

Banned
Tried it. Hated it. Deleted it.

It's a good old CoD I love to hate, so it's absolutely not for me. There's a reason why I enjoy CoD MW so much. It's absolutely not a CoD under the hood.

Graphic looks somehow worse and more cartoonish, I dunno, maybe wip.

Time period sucks too, so... eh.

Bolivar687

Banned
There was a weird statement where someone from Treyarch said it's not the MW19 engine, that it's Treyarch's own engine they've been working on. That was a very weird lie, it's very clearly the new look and feel but with the stylized paranoid strangeness from the original Black Ops. Moscow and Miami in particular feel like they could've been in the first game. Other than that, even the menus and attachment system are very similar to MW19.

The map design and spawning is a little weird, though. Some of these feel like they were built to accommodate 12 v 12 and 6v6. There's lots of weird encounters where you'll have enemies running up on you from the front and the back. Miami just seems huge. ***Take note: if you jump off the diving board in the hotel pool, you will take a huge leap into the air.***

Three lane maps are dead. I understand why a lot of people will dislike that but it's much more palatable to me personally.

The Combined Arms map in the ocean is awesome. There hasn't really been anything like this in Call of Duty before. That's another weird but cool thing about the engine, how they're slowly blurring the line between CoD and Battlefield with some of their larger game modes.

I like it, it's a lot of fun (hopping back in right now) and can't wait to get a larger taste in the Beta.

PSN: BolivarBG687

Daffy Duck

Combined arms sounds like a garbage version of Ground War.
I find almost 0 desire to play this considering how good CODMW was.

Yeah it’s exactly that. I love GW on MW2019 (I spent 95% of my time playing that mode) so not having it in this game sucks hard for me.

Apocryphon

Not much different from MW 2019. A very agressive dynamic resolution to sustain 60 fps is in place.

Except it looks significantly worse than MW. This looks horrendous on my Pro, not a chance i'll be buying if for current gen and while I figured it was an easy purchase for PS5, this alpha has me questioning whether I'm actually interested at all.

Warzone looks plenty better than this shit.

Fake

Except it looks significantly worse than MW. This looks horrendous on my Pro, not a chance i'll be buying if for current gen and while I figured it was an easy purchase for PS5, this alpha has me questioning whether I'm actually interested at all.

Warzone looks plenty better than this shit.
Is not worse, just more agressive.

MW already are in far more stable build.

I guess all people here never played the MW Alpha.
Not even remotely close lol.
None of you played the Alpha build of MW lmao.

Just for make clear:

Actual state of MW vs an Alpha build of CoD.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I've mostly played MW on X1X and playing this on Pro seems like a major step down graphically and frame rate wise. Also the quick scoping ruins the domination mode.

M.W.

MW's alpha looked worse than the final game. This will look different when it releases. I'm sure the frame rate will tighten up too. It's an alpha.

BlackM1st

Banned
Is not worse, just more agressive.

MW already are in far more stable build.

I guess all people here never played the MW Alpha.

None of you played the Alpha build of MW lmao.

Just for make clear:

Actual state of MW vs an Alpha build of CoD.
I did. So...?

Anyway, I agree that game looks bad on Pro. Especially coming after Season 5 of MW.

But as I DID played MW alpha, I also agree that there's a big chance of improvement.

Speaking about the engine - it looks and feels very different to me. So for now I believe in the new engine.

But I have no idea how they will shove new content in old Warzone without drastically changing it.

jaysius

Banned
Something that set off my "P2W" meter was the Gunsmith with all it's "choices" that add 4% or take 5%, when a company gets this shitty and anal and incremental it usually means there are going to be loot hooks in the game. This would fit in with the gaudy heatlhbars above player's heads and the spongeyness of everyone.

Also, lets cut through the marketing bullshit, this isn't the actual Alpha state of the game, this the retarded marketing shmoo they've labeled it to draw in the kids that think it's "sic" or "cool"(or whatever they say) to be a REAL ALPHA TESTER!!!!

Last edited:
I'm going to try to be really nice about my first impressions.

Looks like fucking hot garbage compared to Modern Warfare, its like we've gone back before MW when they upgraded the graphics. The motion blur is horrible and I feel dizzy playing it. For someone that buys one every year like a sheep there is no way I'm getting this janky POS.

Yup, I could have said worse things.
ps4 pro

edit: I do like the new info on the attachments including percentages.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

While I'm sure image quality and performance will see improvements, I'm nowhere near as enthused about this as I was during the MW alpha.

The gunsmith appear to have taken a step back. The MW19 gunsmith is pretty much perfect and gives you a solid idea as to how each attachment will affect your playtime but this feels very watered down.

Gameplay is solid but some of the mechanical changes and shoddy image quality is off-putting.

Allforce

This is definitely a return to the games that made me give up CoD multiplayer. Modern Warfare brought me back and got it's hooks in me so this is a big step back to me.

Just feels old. The animations are hilarious. I get sniped and just slowly drop to my knees in place. Where's the impact? Guns feel underpowered and there's no satisfaction to connecting shots on an enemy.

splattered

Ugh not liking the sound of your impressions guys... i enjoy BO4 and MW but this doesn't sound so hot. I know it's an alpha and all though so maybe i will wait a little longer for more impressions before i decide to preorder or not.

BlackM1st

Banned
You just described MW to a tee.
MW is finally content full (after 5 seasons lol) and its gameplay is the best one CoD ever had.

Because it's so radically different from all previous CoDs hah. Guns finally have a weight to them and give you satisfaction with every weighty shot.

What we have here is the same old, same old. Will sell a lot, but probably will die in 1 year.

MW is finally content full (after 5 seasons lol) and its gameplay is the best one CoD ever had.

Because it's so radically different from all previous CoDs hah. Guns finally have a weight to them and give you satisfaction with every weighty shot.

What we have here is the same old, same old. Will sell a lot, but probably will die in 1 year.
MW 2019 is the worst CoD ever made. I mean, even the pro players acknowledge that. It's total garbage.

Warzone saved it. Because apparently people enjoy running around a map for 20 minutes before having their game ended in a second. I don't get it, but people like it, so I've no problem stating that they did that part well. TDM, though? Fucking terrible.

Last edited:
MW 2019 is the worst CoD ever made. I mean, even the pro players acknowledge that. It's total garbage.

Warzone saved it. Because apparently people enjoy running around a map for 20 minutes before having their game ended in a second. I don't get it, but people like it, so I've no problem stating that they did that part well. TDM, though? Fucking terrible.

I disagree respectfully. Modern warfare was the best game released so far. They kept the game fresh with map updates from past games and added things in seasons that I like.

As long as I can keep playing on my ps5 I won't be buying the new one.

I disagree respectfully. Modern warfare was the best game released so far. They kept the game fresh with map updates from past games and added things in seasons that I like.

As long as I can keep playing on my ps5 I won't be buying the new one.
It's cool that you like it. Opinions and all. I will say, the graphics and sound (minus the moronic footsteps) are superlative.

Last edited:

M.W.

Yep. MW is a hot pile of shit.

Top Bottom