• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Cold War alpha |OT|

cormack12

Gold Member
PxuSiO.jpg

How big is it?
25GB

Can I preload?
Yes, you can download now

Pre-reqs?
Unconfirmed

When does it start?

The Black Ops Cold War alpha dates are Friday, September 18th to Sunday, September 20th, with the following start and end times:

• UK: 6pm (BST)
  • Europe: 7pm (CEST)
  • East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
  • West Coast US: 10am (PDT)

Do you need PS+?
No (except Germany)

How long does it last?
Weekend of 18-20th Sept

Where can I download it?
Americas: https://store.playstation.com/?resolve=UP0002-CUSA20047_00-AX03QJW2UT0KJ001
EMEA: https://store.playstation.com/?resolve=EP0002-CUSA20073_00-AX03QJW2UT0KJ001
Japan: https://store.playstation.com/?resolve=JP9201-CUSA23808_00-AX03QJW2UT0KJ001
Asia: https://store.playstation.com/?resolve=HP0002-CUSA23794_00-AX03QJW2UT0KJ001

There is also a link within the blades it you open Warzone/MW and go to 'alpha'

Any swag for participating?
All participants will receive a Calling Card, accessible across Modern Warfare, Warzone, and Black Ops Cold War upon its release, just for participating in the Alpha.

Modes
The Alpha will include three traditional game modes across two maps designed for 6v6 play.

Among this trio is the gold standard of squad-based game modes in Call of Duty – Team Deathmatch (TDM) – as well as Kill Confirmed, a TDM variant where Operators must confirm kills by picking up enemy dog tags dropped by downed players before they are denied by the enemy team.

Then there’s Domination, an objective mode staple in the Call of Duty franchise. Expect a larger capture area than in previous titles in Black Ops Cold War’s Domination, allowing for more cover opportunities and maneuverability when attacking or defending while capturing a point.

50350224748_b24a40cc02_h.jpg

Miami: A prison transport vehicle has been intercepted by Perseus through hired DGI forces, with CIA forces arriving to take them out in the heat of Miami’s South Beach.

Amid art-deco architecture and neon lights, Operators battle between various buildings, in the streets, and on a stretch of the beachfront itself. Various rooftops and windows act as prime longshot spots for sharpshooters who can take advantage of vistas across empty streets and beaches.

Meanwhile, Operators can weave in-and-out of vacated tourist traps in close-quarters combat, using parts of a parking garage or the beachfront to flank enemy combatants.

Satellite: First teased in the Black Ops Cold War Reveal trailer, Satellite is set in an Angolan desert where a KH-9 American-made satellite has been downed.

Soviet and American forces arrive on a battlefield devoid of any man-made structures, save for the satellite in question at mid-map. Other than this cover-heavy central point, the map’s rocky outcroppings and archways provide numerous flanking routes and plenty of cover.

Alternatively, the natural sand dunes on the opposite side of the map are a perfect territory for snipers, at the expense of any meaningful protection from aerial Scorestreaks or a cross-map high-caliber bullet.

Introducing Combined Arms: Domination
Combined Arms: Domination is a new 12v12, vehicle-inclusive twist on traditional Domination, set in larger maps compared to the game’s traditional 6v6 play spaces.

In Combined Arms, vehicles such as Tanks, Snowmobiles, Wakerunners, and Gunboats will allow squads to bolster their firepower and mobility across these expanded environments. Like the core 6v6 Domination mode, teams will be tasked with capturing and defending multiple objectives between two initial spawn areas.

Along with traditional loadout-based firefights and Scorestreak play, Combined Arms: Domination is defined by how each squad uses the available selection of vehicles to help their team turn the tide of battle.

50351079987_4eec13c488_h.jpg

Armada: It’s 1984, and U.S. and Soviet forces are battling it out in the North Atlantic Ocean in search of a prototype nuclear submarine.

Competing squads will take to the high seas with skirmishes on multiple ships, utilizing ziplines, rappel lines, and various seacraft to navigate the rough waters below.

The central ship is a hotspot for combat of all forms, from CQB battles in control stations, to sniper duels with adjacent ships, to aquatic warfare that may take place below the surface. Be sure to explore every nook and cranny of the map to discover new entryways to each objective point, and keep your head on a swivel.

Crossroads: In the middle of the frozen Soviet wilderness, NATO forces have ambushed a large military convoy comprised of mobile ICBM launchers.

Tanks and Snowmobiles will help operatives plow over this snowy tundra’s banks and groves, both of which could be temporary homes to sharpshooters looking for longshot opportunities.

Those planning out their strategy for victory should consider wresting control of the communications station, the lone structure that stands at the dead center of the iced-over lake. Or, for those looking to flank the enemy team, try braving the rickety bridge that spans over a deadly chasm… if you’re not afraid of heights, that is.

Last edited:
Sort of pieced it together from a few places. Do you have a source that says you definitely dont need it? I can add to OP.....

I think the full game is going to use Warzone as its BR mode, and that game is going to have some sort of Cold War themed update. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming in. But this is a mutliplayer alpha that isn't related to BR at all, and I'm pretty sure the game uses a different game engine. I've watched a few people talking about the alpha on you tube, and no one has mentioned needing other COD games installed to play it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think the full game is going to use Warzone as its BR mode, and that game is going to have some sort of Cold War themed update. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming in. But this is a mutliplayer alpha that isn't related to BR at all, and I'm pretty sure the game uses a different game engine. I've watched a few people talking about the alpha on you tube, and no one has mentioned needing other COD games installed to play it.

I've updated to unconfirmed for now. Have you got any installed? I'm guessing if it's dependent you'd start the 25GB download then it would pop the warzone download in as well? Let's face it - none of us are going to play it lol

Last edited:
I've updated to unconfirmed for now. Have you got any installed? I'm guessing if it's depedent you'd start the 25GB download then it would pop the warzone download in as well? Let's face it - none of us are going to play it lol

I have Warzone installed on an external drive, but I haven't updated it since it came out. It takes up entirely too much space. If the full version of Cold War requires me to install Warzone, I'll probably never buy it.

mcz117chief

Lol at Alpha :D Why do people keep using the terms Alpha and Beta so freaking wrong all the time? Not dissing the OP obviously since he didn't come up with it.

Woffls

Love that people still say “codblops”.

Would like to try the MP before buying but will just have to study the maps instead. Have fun. gg ez. So is ur mum. No u.

e: oh it’s an open alpha not a preorder bonus! Nice 👍

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Quick scopers galore especially with no flinch mechanic.

Score Streaks persist through death means stuff in the air constantly.

I do love can hear footsteps pretty well.

Maps still shit?

So far its just 2 and 3 lane type of maps.

Game looks gorgeous on the Pro and an OLED TV.

Daffy Duck

I really don’t know how i feel about it.

I think I like the way it plays, but it’s just a step down from MW2019 it’s unreal.

Yes I know it’s an alpha and all but the graphics on base PS4 are appalling , like BO1 360 level. It’s hard to play when it looks so bad.

The sniping is insane, and the AK74u really does need that nerf they talk about.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I really don’t know how i feel about it.

I think I like the way it plays, but it’s just a step down from MW2019 it’s unreal.

Yes I know it’s an alpha and all but the graphics on base PS4 are appalling , like BO1 360 level. It’s hard to play when it looks so bad.

The sniping is insane, and the AK74u really does need that nerf they talk about.

I do like how it feels.

If they could nerf the sniping a little it would make a huge difference.

Thabass

I don't know what is it is for me, but it's like sprint doesn't want to work. I tried with a different controller and the game just doesn't accept any inputs at all. Thought, that may be because my controller was dead and was charging. Still weird to see as that doesn't happen in the PS4 menus.

As for the game itself, it feels great to me so far.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
TTK is half a clip or something, it's too spongey

I found something new that I didn't know I hated, fucking people JUMP Snipping, WTF is this shit?

This is like a BAD Bad Company, especially the 24 player mode.

We're back to too many automated killstreaks and ones that last far too long like the manual chopper thing, that thing is ridiculous.

The maps are too big even on the 12 person mode.

Is it better than F2P garbage? Yes... but how much better?

My hat is still off to them for making a different COD, previous years COD after COD was basically the same, this is back to super arcadey, maybe even a new level of arcadey.

It's now pounced "COD BLOPS QUE"

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Since my few games I’m sat here questioning if I can see myself playing this game for 12 months and I’m really not sure I can....I think I need more time and to try the beta on my xbox one x

The jump/drop/sliding everywhere is off the charts, coupled with the quick scoping...it’s almost hell on Earth.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
This is by far the most insane SBMM I've ever seen.
First game is me playing against normal people having fun memeing with a shotgun.
2nd game is against Shroud tier tryhards destroying me so badly it almost makes me suicidal.
Fuck this game jeez.
No fun allowed.

PerfectDark

Banned
There is not allot of scorestreaks, or weapons. Maybe I am missing something since this is alpha? This game is barebones.

8x scorestreaks

3x ARs
2x Smgs
2 tactical rifles
2x lmgs
2x Snipers
2x shotguns

Beta always has things locked and you have to progress to unlock. Not sure if everything is available or if game is no longer CoD and just a generic fps.

Daffy Duck

This is by far the most insane SBMM I've ever seen.
First game is me playing against normal people having fun memeing with a shotgun.
2nd game is against Shroud tier tryhards destroying me so badly it almost makes me suicidal.
Fuck this game jeez.
No fun allowed.

there won’t be SBMM in this alpha lol, it’s just the player base will be all streamers and die hards on now, give plebs time to get on

Daffy Duck

There is not allot of scorestreaks, or weapons. Maybe I am missing something since this is alpha? This game is barebones.

8x scorestreaks

3x ARs
2x Smgs
2 tactical rifles
2x lmgs
2x Snipers
2x shotguns

Beta always has things locked and you have to progress to unlock. Not sure if everything is available or if game is no longer CoD and just a generic fps.

BigLee74

Cod. Real love/hate.

But nothing fucks me off more than quick scoping, and idiots who jump around every corner and drop to the ground 2 feet in front of you during a firefight.

xviper

Really hard to play this after MW 2019

Remember the downgrade in gunplay from mw2 to black ops 1 ?? it's the same with cold war but it's 10x worse and it's not just gunplay, it's everything

I don't know if i'm gonna get it, depends on whether there is another online game for PS5

CrysisFreak

Banned
there won’t be SBMM in this alpha lol, it’s just the player base will be all streamers and die hards on now, give plebs time to get on
I'm pretty sure there is SBMM here.
Again, my first game was against below average people only.
Also in any case they confirmed heavy SBMM for the full game jfl.
Don't underestimate how many people are playing this Alpha. Their pool is big enough to run the SBMM algorithm.

Top Bottom