• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War's Campaign Will Let You Play as a Gender Neutral Character

In a first for the Call of Duty series, players will be able to sculpt their main protagonist in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War's campaign. Unlike past entries where players usually bounce around from character to character, Black Ops Cold War is more firmly planting you in the boots of one operative. Players will be able to customize their skin tone, gender, birth place, military background, and most notably, even leave aspects of their identity "classified." As for pronouns, she, he, they—it's all an option in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

"So when it came to gender, that same thing was thrown out: Why can't we leave that classified? There's no reason we can't do that,"

Wonder what a character with them as pronoun in 1981 would feel like? Guess we'll find out.

Rolla

Banned
I don't care. It's not real life. My last character had a green face and red tipped horns protruding from his head.

I know some will automatically be triggered but personally, character select in COD is the furthest thing from my mind.

cormack12

Gold Member
So basically

Male / Female / Classified or
Male / Female / Unknown

Amazing how a phrase makes it OK to lump everyone in together. I thought that was the exact opposite of representation.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Seems like pretty basic stuff, this is the same as Shovel Knight I believe, where you could choose pronouns and character look independently.

Happy to have the option, though I'm not sure how many role-play these games, usually they're kind of rail-roady.
I personally would have preferred playing as a gender-neutral full-written character then make my own tbh.

Was gender neutral a thing in the 1980's..........?
People long before that, while calls for gender neutral language started in the 70s. I doubt it's a big part of the game, probably just some lines read differently based on your character.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Know your history. In this case... altered history.

For those saying "who cares," you're letting yourself and society be boiled alive slowly. You're giving them an inch every time they ask and pretty soon they will have a mile, then there won't be anything you can do about it.

DarkestHour

Banned
I don't get why someone would be upsed by this. Its good that everyone can choose what kind of character they create.

I don't disagree it's good for people to make the character they want, but the issue is that companies are doing this only to avoid backlash from people that will try everything in their power to slander the company if they don't bow down to their demands.

Tulipanzo

I don't disagree it's good for people to make the character they want, but the issue is that companies are doing this only to avoid backlash from people that will try everything in their power to slander the company if they don't bow down to their demands.
I never saw any backlash whatsoever for any previous games not letting you do this. Gender neutral options are a very recent, and appreciated development.
It sounds like you're just making excuses up to be upset by a cosmetic option in a game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Who cares, it's all optional.
Exactly.
Likes seriously there is an option to be whatever the hell you want not dissimilar to having the option to invert Y axis.....people angry about this option must have been up in arms for years at the option to perform devilry by inverting the Y axis

Somehow some way someone will be offended and/or outraged by it and make some boycott statement on twitter or reddit.
Luckily GAF has a bunch of level headed individu.........Come on GAF!!
I was actually a little hyped up about this game yesterday. It went downhill from that huh?

GlockSaint

I can't believe the effect these mentally ill people have on giant corporations, dumb ass pronouns sound weird and confusing. And top it off that character is in 1981 and people i assume are gonna respect these pronouns, be very respectful to gender and whoever doesn't is probably the bad guy.

I mean, classified by itself is actually kind of cool, because the concept of an assassin or operative so mysterious nobody even knows if they are a male or female is not new and by itself adds a level of characterization.

But that's not why they are doing this so fuck em.

llLeonhart

Gold Member
Exactly.
Likes seriously there is an option to be whatever the hell you want not dissimilar to having the option to invert Y axis.....people angry about this option must have been up in arms for years at the option to perform devilry by inverting the Y axis

Somehow some way someone will be offended and/or outraged by it and make some boycott statement on twitter or reddit.
Luckily GAF has a bunch of level headed individu.........Come on GAF!!
I edited the post as soon as I saw how it came out.

What I mean is: this game is a plethora of bad news, no upgrade path for XB1 physical, new retail price at US$70, but hey, its okay because you can play as a gender neutral character!

Priorities set all wrong.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

An operative so deep everyone who has ever known their gender is either dead or DuskGolem.
As its first person and I assume/hope we never even see or hear the character, the mystery of this character alone is good selling point.....maybe they are an Android? The 1980s were filled with Android operatives right?

The US Gamer headline makes it seem like pandering because they specifically mention the ooh so evil term Gender Neutral.
Activision themselves simply say you can fill in the character details or simply leave them classified.

CrysisFreak

Banned
090419clown.jpg

Dorohedoro

Even Era barely seem to give a shit for some reason. I suppose it's because the rest of the game is still too problematic for this to move the needle. How do the geniuses who green lighted this decision expect to get their woke points now?

Top Bottom