• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will run at 4K 120fps with Ray Tracing on next gen console

karasu

The whole "seamless transitions between cinematics and gameplay" thing is annoying. Surely the speed of an SSD can give us something better than that. I still dislike 90% of all cutscenes to this day. Well shit I hope it at least means cutscenes/cinematics will be skippable by default.

Blond

Banned
Modern warfare looks pretty damn good this year.

Oh I agree, I put 48 hours into it. But I still can't deny that old engine is really helping it achieve all this and I'm not knocking it- we don't have any fast paced arena shooters like this anymore.

Droxcy

Treyarch makes awesome environments and Multiplayer maps as well as zombies sure it'll be the best it can be. I'll still be playing it on PC for the extra goodness but glad it's catching up for consoles.

Luck

I think there will be:
- single player campain - dynamic / fixed 4k@60fps wit ray tracing support in some scenes
- multiplayer maps - dynamic 4k@120fps without any ray traing (who cares it for MP anyway)

And that sound beliveble for cross-genn title, because there is no way it can be both 4K@120fps with RT enabled ;)

Last edited:
My point and I will make it OVER AND OVER AND OVER until you guys stop arguing around it is that if you made as equivalent a PC as possible to a PS4/PS4 Pro you would NOT get better results than the PS4/PS4 Pro for at least the majority of games if not all. You cannot prove me wrong by using examples of games where you only try to equal one part of the PS4/PS4 Pro. I don't even know what you're arguing with the CPU thing... the PS4 is from 2013 you're trying to tell me there's no point far enough back you can go where PC's had similar performing CPUs? That's BS, the question isn't how well a current day reasonable gaming rig fares against a console from 2013. "RX460<PS4 Pro<RX470...nearest to RX470." It is between two cards but not the two you claim from what I see. Even if we stuck to 570... what are your other specs?

Jaguar is a shitty notebook CPU. Gaming PCs in 2013 had much better CPUs. You'd have to go back to something like 2008 to find equivalent CPUs in gaming rigs.

Just deal with the fact that there is no secret sauce.

Jaguar is a shitty notebook CPU. Gaming PCs in 2013 had much better CPUs. You'd have to go back to something like 2008 to find equivalent CPUs in gaming rigs.

Just deal with the fact that there is no secret sauce.

If the CPU is that bad how do you explain how well games perform on it? The disparity in performance between PS4 Battlefield 4 and PC Battlefield 4 at the time of launch was not huge, I owned it on both and my computer was brand spanking new. Aren't you just proving my point?

Kerotan

That would be great. Won't have a hdmi 2.1 TV for prob 3 years so by then the ps5 pro should only be a year off and I expect that to be the console where most games will run at 120fps.

pawel86ck

Banned
This must be misunderstanding. I dont believe for a seconds this game will run at 4K 120fps, GI RT is much more demanding than reflections RT.

ZywyPL

Banned
I want to press X for doubt, but then again, we already saw a few indie titles that are 4K60+RT, and those games use RT for reflections which are super heavy computing task, so who knows, maybe they will indeed be able to pull that one out.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Some people are naive. 4K + RT + 120 fps is not happening. Come now, seriously...

You will probably option that will allow you to go for 120 fps ( surely without RT and 4K ). Haven't you seen how 4K/60fps/RT is already very demanding on PC and you expect 120 fps, 4K and RT at the same time ? LOL.

ZywyPL

Banned
Haven't you seen how 4K/60fps/RT is already very demanding on PC and you expect 120 fps, 4K and RT at the same time ? LOL.

We also already seen a bunch of (indie) games that are 4K60 with RT, and that's a native 4K, not DLSS. So who knows, maybe AMD's RDNA2 RT is that much better than Turing's solution. Plus they can always render RT at half or even quarter of the resolution, like GT7 does, with still exceptional results.

SkylineRKR

Would it be possible for MW to run at a resolution like this? I thought that game looked rather decent for a CoD game. Is Treyarch's game going to be less demanding?

Hunnybun

You can make a very educated guess. MW couldn't hold 4k/60FPS with no ray-tracing on a 2080Ti. It's all in the math. The bandwidth is just not there. When you guys want to ballpark what you think your next-gen console will do, it's very easy to compare it to the 2080Ti (which has more bandwidth and is faster at rasterizing and ray-tracing). If you know a 2080Ti can't do something, then you can rightfully assume that the next-gen consoles can't either.

But doesn't it run at 1080p60 on a PS4?

How is a card that's like 10x the power not even getting 4x the performance?

Something doesn't add up there.

INC

Doubt

If true, I can't wait to see on pc

Maybe this is Sony faux RT solution in action

Maybe they're being deceptive with the wording

120fps at 1440p no RT
4k at 60fps no RT
1440p 60fps and faux RT

If it is 120fps and RT then that is very impressive

bargeparty

Doubt

If true, I can't wait to see on pc

Maybe this is Sony faux RT solution in action

Maybe they're being deceptive with the wording

120fps at 1440p no RT
4k at 60fps no RT
1440p 60fps and faux RT

If it is 120fps and RT then that is very impressive

The fuck is "faux RT"?

INC

The fuck is "faux RT"?

Sony have said they're not doing full fat RT like you'd see on say a nvidia card, its more checkboard, approach, so more faux RT. Not a bad thing, just a different approach, and one way I could sort get how they could hit that number of 120fps with "RT"

bargeparty

Sony have said they're not doing full fat RT like you'd see on say a nvidia card, its more checkboard, approach, so more faux RT. Not a bad thing, just a different approach, and one way I could sort get how they could hit that number of 120fps with "RT"

Sorry that's bullshit. They have different levels of RT, different things the developer change choose to implement.

Just go into Control on PC with an RTX card and you have similar options, different levels of RT you can enable.

It's not faux, stop trying to spread bullshit.

I don't completely believe it yet (specifically the 120fps option). Although it's certainly possible given it's a cross-gen game eg Dirt 5.

In general I'm always doubtful unless something is confirmed by multiple sources - or confirmed directly by the developer.

Last edited:

INC

Sorry that's bullshit. They have different levels of RT, different things the developer change choose to implement.

Just go into Control on PC with an RTX card and you have similar options, different levels of RT you can enable.

It's not faux, stop trying to spread bullshit.

Not trying to spread anything, so is sony RT the same as nvidias RT?

Wasnt it stated that sony will have its own solution to dlss 2.0, and work with their RT solution

So RT reflection will be a lower resolution (checkerboard reflections)

So I can see how with some tweaks with this tech, they could hit 120fps

I'd say it could be more ignorance on my part, rather than spreading bullshit

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Wasnt it stated that sony will have its own solution to dlss 2.0, and work with their RT solution

It's not Sony's RT, it's AMD's, and as yet we don't really know how it compares to the Turing cards. I think most people expect it to be on a par but don't quote me on that.

But that's just the hardware. It's up to each developer how they use that power to actually implement RT.

bargeparty

Look, "faux" means fake, you know that at least right?

Ray-tracing is just the name for the rendering technique, it has nothing to do with how it's actually implemented.

INC

It's not Sony's RT, it's AMD's, and as yet we don't really know how it compares to the Turing cards. I think most people expect it to be on a par but don't quote me on that.

But that's just the hardware. It's up to each developer how they use that power to actually implement RT.

So its confirmed its my ignorance on the subject then? Swearing in the next gen speculation thread itheres info on how sony were using checkerboard rt solutions.

I do smoke alot, so potentially merging shit in my head

Look, "faux" means fake, you know that at least right?

Ray-tracing is just the name for the rendering technique, it has nothing to do with how it's actually implemented.

No ya right, my use of the word faux, probably isnt the best way for me try to describe it my bad

Last edited:

Hunnybun

So its confirmed its my ignorance on the subject then? Swearing in the next gen speculation thread itheres info on how sony were using checkerboard rt solutions.

I do smoke alot, so potentially merging shit in my head

No ya right, my use of the word faux, probably isnt the best way for me try to describe it my bad

Digital Foundry have said they're checker boarding the RT in GT7, but that's down to developer choice (probably because it's a 60fps game and RT is notoriously impactful on performance) rather than any fundamental limitation of the RT hardware.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
We also already seen a bunch of (indie) games that are 4K60 with RT, and that's a native 4K, not DLSS. So who knows, maybe AMD's RDNA2 RT is that much better than Turing's solution. Plus they can always render RT at half or even quarter of the resolution, like GT7 does, with still exceptional results.

You are really going to compare Call of Duty to Indies games...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Does reduced resolution rendering really sound better than faux rt? Whatever makes you happy I guess.

Myths

RT GI, that’s believable. There are different types of RT, I don’t doubt the GI would be a major impact on frame rate.

Banned
I think there will be:
- single player campain - dynamic / fixed 4k@60fps wit ray tracing support in some scenes
- multiplayer maps - dynamic 4k@120fps without any ray traing (who cares it for MP anyway)

And that sound beliveble for cross-genn title, because there is no way it can be both 4K@120fps with RT enabled ;)

it will have raytracing in every mode.
the raytracing effects in Modern Warfare were extremely minor, and they didn't even have a huge performance impact either.

all the RT does in this engine is more realistic shadows and AO. that's not really straining the GPU too much

Top Bottom