• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War |OT| Deniable Operations

Bolivar687

Banned
New Fireteam map, Sanatorium!

1c26ca90328416ef19c1438fa529a42c.dexerto-header-26.jpg

It's pretty cool and the water adds a nice contrast to Ruka and Alpine. I was worried Fireteam was going to fall to the wayside like Combined Arms so I'm glad to see this getting more support.

Bolivar687

Banned
uLcymZc.png

Prestige 7 Level 200 (Master) after 106 hours. There was a moment mid-season where I realized with the maps, customization, and overal fluidity of the movement and gunplay that this is the CoD I've been waiting for them to make for a really long time. At this point, though, I think the 11 maps are starting to hurt how much I want to jump into it. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a really high quality map pool and I would always take that over a larger map count padded out by mediocrity, but I do think the game needed more. Combined Arms helped alleviate that by offering a fresh experience on different maps but now that they've diluted that playlist with Miami and Cartel, I'm no longer as drawn to playing it as I previously was when it was just a Bad Company-esque experience. I'm glad there's a new Fireteam map and I really should get back to playing that more but at this point I hope the 6v6 map count continues steadily increasing without the need to wait until next season.

OzCbSiq.png

I got the Killer animated calling card but I currently use the Elite Operator one, as I just haven't seen anyone else who has it. The visual identity customization is really nice and the Battle Pass gives a good amount of quality content. I did notice that if you complete it, it gives you 1400 CoD points, which is just below what it costs for the really good bundles. So they entice you to spend at least something more on CoD points by getting to the end of the journey. I never thought I would buy this series currency but the game is just so good that I didn't mind dropping more on it. I bought a pack with a very well done Krieg and Stoner (left) skins and will probably go with the Czarina bundle afterwards because that looks really nice as well.

bNSeNpF.png

One thing keeping the game fresh for me is going really deep on the Gunsmith customization system and finding ways to completely transform guns to the opposite end of the spectrum of what they're supposed to do. The Type 63 here annihilates people with only 2-3 pulls with improved handling for close range encounters. I've found when you push a gun to the extreme opposite of what its weapon class is supposed to do, you still nevertheless retain some of the core advantages built into the weapon, making for something that feels almost broken in its versatility. In this instance, although I customized it for very close encounters, it still holds its own in medium-long gunfights as well. I just had an awesome match with this where it feels like playing with the barebones guns from the early Call of Duty games.

BigLee74

I have a huge beef with the scoring in this game. It does not reward playing the objective. The big points only appear to come from going on kill streaks.

The amount of times I’ve finished bottom/near the bottom of the board with 200 seconds in the hard point, whilst first place has 0 is ridiculous. Kill confirmed is slightly better, but again I often have 50 tags only to finish mid table.

Growing to hate domination too. It’s always just a case of who can grab B, as spawning teams always have their point. You can only hope that you get put on a team with people that know they need to capture points.

Having said all that, I’m still having fun!

iiGX4I2.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have a huge beef with the scoring in this game. It does not reward playing the objective. The big points only appear to come from going on kill streaks.

The amount of times I’ve finished bottom/near the bottom of the board with 200 seconds in the hard point, whilst first place has 0 is ridiculous. Kill confirmed is slightly better, but again I often have 50 tags only to finish mid table.

Growing to hate domination too. It’s always just a case of who can grab B, as spawning teams always have their point. You can only hope that you get put on a team with people that know they need to capture points.

Having said all that, I’m still having fun!

iiGX4I2.png
your enjoyment in games will get infinitely better when you ignore dumb ass K/D or scoring shit

BigLee74

your enjoyment in games will get infinitely better when you ignore dumb ass K/D or scoring shit
Definitely!

Devs could help enforce that point by actually rewarding objective players better though! Frustrates the hell out of me seeing teammates running past tags, or camping at windows when we need to capture a point, whilst muggins here is there all alone capturing it very very slowly.

Bolivar687

Banned
The scoring also irks me a bit given that the differential between preserving your KD and playing the objective is so disproportionately high. The other side of that is how weak the Scorestreaks are. My helicopters frequently get 0-1 kills and I'm lucky if my Sentry Turret survives more than 30 seconds.

Grinchy

Banned
It kinda sucks a little bit that if you played the game a ton when it first came out, you kinda got screwed on the leveling for after the new big season update was released.

You got all those challenges done, all those guns done, ect, at a time when the XP was no longer being counted after you reached the very easy to reach maximum. It didn't store the extra in the background and give it to you when the game got expanded. So, the update comes out, and you're a million hours into playing the game, and everyone else rockets past you who just started playing it or didn't do much before the patch.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
It kinda sucks a little bit that if you played the game a ton when it first came out, you kinda got screwed on the leveling for after the new big season update was released.

You got all those challenges done, all those guns done, ect, at a time when the XP was no longer being counted after you reached the very easy to reach maximum. It didn't store the extra in the background and give it to you when the game got expanded. So, the update comes out, and you're a million hours into playing the game, and everyone else rockets past you who just started playing it or didn't do much before the patch.
I think it was worse during "Pre-season" (bad name for a paid launch experience) when there were no Prestige Master levels past Prestige 3 Level 150. At least now they have up to 1000 levels you can reach, even if it only displays it for the remainder of the season. I think the real incentive is the animated Prestige Master calling cards you can unlock at 100 level intervals. I think what would help is if you reach Prestige Master in Season 2, you'll automatically jump back up to the Prestige Master level you were at the end of Season 1.

Leyasu

Banned
Anyone keep getting a run of games where the ping is in the 50s and it drops frames like crazy?

My average ping is around 20ms, but sometimes I get a few rough games

Iorv3th

Anyone else having problems with Camo's unlocking?

I have got all camos for tactical rifles except type 63. It wont unlock the policia camo which you need to kill people taking cover from you. I am at 49/50 and it wont give me the last one. I have killed people through walls and done everything I could think of and it wont unlock. This section is probably one of the easiest to finish on all the other guns, but can't get it for this one for some reason. I think it's bugged.

So now I can't get diamond on my m16 in warzone.

Spukc

Holy shit i just had the craziest exfil ever whahah.
I have no clue how the hell i made it on time :pie_roffles:

Gloomnivore

Definitely!

Devs could help enforce that point by actually rewarding objective players better though! Frustrates the hell out of me seeing teammates running past tags, or camping at windows when we need to capture a point, whilst muggins here is there all alone capturing it very very slowly.

It’s the worst it’s ever been. I have an an unusually high (for me) 2.35 W/L ratio because I’m normally the only person in the entire lobby who cares about winning objective modes. Domination matches tend to end up around 200-100, so even though I value the win above all else, there’s not much satisfaction to be had.

SBMM hasn’t made objective-based modes more competitive. If anything, it’s done the opposite. Overwatch has its flaws and toxicity but Blizzard introduced a formula to make the victory always be more important than your KDR. COD still rewards selfish play above all else. Players worrying more about their KDR is one thing but to give them more points for it too is counterproductive.

Kupfer

I tried to play Black Ops but it's boring as fuck. I can't play through the campaign because it's so petty. Nobody I know plays the multiplayer, so I'm not interested in it either. So maybe I'm going to sell it again. To be fair, it looks nice on Ps5, but it's gameplay and story is just meh, super short shoothouse missions are just behind the time.

Last edited:
Dumb question time: I transfered my account from Xbox to PS and I'm missing my COD points.; it looks like they don't transfer. But say I use the points on my Xbox account to buy the next BP, can I then get that BP on my PS account?

Last edited:
Reaping with the stoner 63 and 8? attachments :messenger_ok:

Also this game, I don't give shit about skins so I'll never get the battlepass. Fortnite, that's another matter.

Kupfer

Dumb question time: I transfered my account from Xbox to PS and I'm missing my COD points.; it looks like they don't transfer. But say I use the points on my Xbox account to buy the next BP, can I then get that BP on my PS account?
Yes, I started playing Warzone in Ps4, bought the BP and switched to PC. The content is cross-platform, just the CP remain sepperated on each system.

It’s the worst it’s ever been. I have an an unusually high (for me) 2.35 W/L ratio because I’m normally the only person in the entire lobby who cares about winning objective modes. Domination matches tend to end up around 200-100, so even though I value the win above all else, there’s not much satisfaction to be had.

SBMM hasn’t made objective-based modes more competitive. If anything, it’s done the opposite. Overwatch has its flaws and toxicity but Blizzard introduced a formula to make the victory always be more important than your KDR. COD still rewards selfish play above all else. Players worrying more about their KDR is one thing but to give them more points for it too is counterproductive.

I find it varies, nothing worse than snipers on the ship map when you're trying to play the objective though.

I always play the objective; K/D ratio is a curse.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does this game have issues with crashing when you have ray tracing enabled even on PC?
I was playing today with ray tracing on my new videocard and the game crashed with this error:

tOubRIe.jpg

edit: I’m just going to assume it’s another bug that needs to be ironed out, as I would get occasional crashes with my old videocard as well, ever since the beta.

Last edited:

splattered

Oh man been playing Cold War since it came out and just tonight tried to go back to Modern Warfare Team Deathmatch... severe rubber banding issues and my character felt like he was running under water. It was awful. Every single thing i did felt like it was lagging badly... so freaking slow and clunky. I don't remember the MP playing like that before? Cold War is so fast and snappy... world of difference.

*Also Zombies in Cold War finally clicking for me, got my banana Stitch skin and a bunch of other unlocks... having a blast playing it and looking forward to the new Zombies map!

Last edited:

Spukc

Oh man been playing Cold War since it came out and just tonight tried to go back to Modern Warfare Team Deathmatch... severe rubber banding issues and my character felt like he was running under water. It was awful. Every single thing i did felt like it was lagging badly... so freaking slow and clunky. I don't remember the MP playing like that before? Cold War is so fast and snappy... world of difference.

*Also Zombies in Cold War finally clicking for me, got my banana Stitch skin and a bunch of other unlocks... having a blast playing it and looking forward to the new Zombies map!
Glad you like zombies.. in cold war..

i dumped 180 hours in that mode. And like 3 online MP pvp matches..

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Does this game have issues with crashing when you have ray tracing enabled even on PC?
I was playing today with ray tracing on my new videocard and the game crashed with this error:

tOubRIe.jpg

edit: I’m just going to assume it’s another bug that needs to be ironed out, as I would get occasional crashes with my old videocard as well, ever since the beta.
Holy shit

Spukc

2e7OT48.jpg

I fucking did it!!

finally after like tons of tries. This was epic AF
Took a lot of teamwork to nail this!

What an absolute beast of a game this is!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

I have to disagree MW3-now feels like the same era.

Roufianos

Why are so many idiots walking around with custom skins? Imagine paying for a skin you'll never see in gameplay.

If anything I'm more invested in what my enemies look like than my own character, at least I actually see them.

Last edited:

Spukc

holy fucking shit fuck crazy

i can not believe how sick the new mode outbreak is.

it's the SP BR game you always wanted with missions and fat loot

Spukc

wd0Ita8.jpg

This game so MUCH content..

250 hours in it just won’t end still 4 seasons to go 🤠📯🤠📯

Top Bottom