• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War |OT| Deniable Operations

Royal-Slime

Banned
Did they never fix the crashing-freezing on PS5? Played today for about 40 minutes and the game froze on me. Luckily, the console's UI did not freeze and I was able to close the game... uninstalled it at that very moment :D
Is it jsut me or is the sound in this game waaaaaay lower than Modern Warefare? I have my headphones up to the max and at best thats medium sound in MW. I can hear everything fine but I just cant get the game to be any louder and everything is dialed to 10 anyway by default.
It is lower and not as good overall.

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
Gunfight in this game is incredibly disappointing. I do miss the ability to mount my gun as it made for some very fun plays in MW. But there are major design problems. First of all the infinite stim shots are a cancer, and feel like they are on nearly half the classes. The decoy grenades are horrible and make no sense... they put deafening footstep noises that walk around in circles, going through walls, no rhyme or reason as to how they would physically work. Then the meta is like those 1v1 Counter-Strike situations where people are crouch/shift-walking silently nonstop. That might be my least favorite style of FPS gameplay.

Then there's the maps.... and this has become a problem in MW as well... The maps used to be better and have gotten progressively worse. The early MW maps had an important design element in common. They allow early peeks and map control. There were almost always initial angles you could challenge, and the would give you intel on where the enemy was going.... KGB is the only map that has that element at all.. and it's such a long thin angle that it's incredibly easy to cross back over unseen anyway. Combined with the sound design and the meta is just completely dreadful.

Alcatraz was the shittiest part of Blackout in BO4, and now it's here to ruin Warzone as well. In the end I think CW is kind of a special sort of shitty, where it manages to make another game worse.
I agree with all you wrote.
Call of Duty did not interest me at all ever since Modern Warfare 2007... Modern Warfare added lots of interesting things, some of which are total game-changers. I also think it did major improvements to the gameplay, giving it some depth of Battlefield but still keeping the casual fun of Call of Duty. Meanwhile Cold War is like the CoD from 2007 with better animations. I started the free week yesterday, played for about 40 minutes and despite not having played MW for like two-three months.. I was scoring kills after kills. It became pretty boring quickly and some of the maps were just downright horrible. It feels a little less superficial than it did during the alpha and beta but still about the same, very plastic and cheap feelings from the gameplay.

Satellite map is the worst one and players kept choosing it... I think the audience of CoD likes this superficial gameplay, hence why Modern Warfare didn't get as high of a score as it deserves. Each weapon in MW feels very unique and different from each other, has clear advantages and requires you to learn it... while Cold War is just incredibly simplistic, weapons feel almost the same.

Just a bad game which seems to have been developed without the improvements of MW 2019.

Since I just bought the game and played MW2019 well over. a year, the movement seems very floaty. Like I feel as if im on roller skates as far as movement goes. Its super floaty.

So I didn't know that Cold War weapons are now being used in COD MW Warzone. I played a match of Warzone with Cold War weapons and they suck. There seems to be no range in these guns, too much recoil. Went back to MW guns in warzone

This is funny, cause folks are screaming on the WZ boards how broken and OP the new Cold Wars guns are in WZ lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
Miami is my favorite map, I’m surprised so many dislike it.

I spent more time playing over the weekend and I like the new maps as well. I didn’t really see anything worth spending my prestige keys on though.

Arthimura

I spent more time playing over the weekend and I like the new maps as well. I didn’t really see anything worth spending my prestige keys on though.
I had a great match in Miami playing that game mode where you have to capture a sequence of control points to win, i forgot the name. The points were in the center of the map, the garage, the ship and the pool. It was a really long match because neither team was able to capture the points until the end, but my team ended up winning the match.

Otherwise i don't think the other game modes works well in this map, visually is a pleasant map but enemy visibility is a problem and there's too many advantage points.

Shakka43

COD Modern Warfare seems to be free on the PS Store, was there an announcement I miss or something?

Edit:
Scratch that it seems to be just Warzone disguised as Modern Warfare. Didn't know that's how Warzone was set up to be downloaded 😅

Last edited:

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Played a bunch of Cold war MP over the weekend with it being free until the 24th. I actually really enjoyed it, mostly played TDM.

Wish the ps5 version was included with this trial. I'm playing the ps4 version on ps5 but seriously considering buying the ps5 version now. I want to check out the campaign with the adaptive triggers/haptic feedback too

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Played a bunch of Cold war MP over the weekend with it being free until the 24th. I actually really enjoyed it, mostly played TDM.

Wish the ps5 version was included with this trial. I'm playing the ps4 version on ps5 but seriously considering buying the ps5 version now. I want to check out the campaign with the adaptive triggers/haptic feedback too
DO
IT

Last edited:

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member

Its tempting! Especially with the digital version being on sale right now.

Any idea how big the current file size is for ps5? I understand you can remove certain modes to keep the size down but I would install them all to start and then delete the campaign once beaten.

Really need to pickup an external ssd to move my ps4 games to

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Any idea how big the current file size is for ps5? I understand you can remove certain modes to keep the size down but I would install them all to start and then delete the campaign once beaten.

Hold on lemme check for you .
167.1 GB for everything.
i think MP only is like 30 ish? Same for zombies?

Srsly just buy it already zombies is SO COOL

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Never once had a problem on the XsX with this. Played it tonight for the first time since the latest update and two crashes. Nice

Nymphae

Banned
What is the best way to maximize your double xp tokens? I don't quite understand the level up system, like what actions in a match give you xp. Is taking out zombies the same as killing people in multiplayer? I feel like I get more medals and such during multiplayer than I do zombies, but I come out of zombies games with about as much xp as I do a multiplayer match.

Basically I'm wondering if I should use my tokens for zombies or multiplayer.

It's actually a very good game, and the PS5 version is elite at 120fps.

t0rment

i tried this game during the free trial on ps5 and i don't know how can anyone play this.

the visibility is dogshit, the sound of the weapons is worse than BO1, the animations are awful and the aim assist is completely fucked on console.

MW may not be the perfect game or even a good one, but activision should be ashamed to launch a game that looks like it's two years behind it.

PaintTinJr

So you are going in with your eyes open - and despite liking the campaign so far, triggers, audio (on headphones audio is sublime) and graphics and controls are great; although this is my first CoD campaign in 10-15years so no much point of reference when kz3 and 4 were my last console FPS - the disc is just a dongle that needs internet, nothing is playable without the BS always on crap of the Xbox One launch. 60GB of disc copying data, 120GB of patches, plus more copying in game for campaign (partial installs with PSN terms and email purchase receipts like a demo download) before you can even launch the SP campaign.

Had I known this in advance I certainly wouldn't have bought the game, even with a voucher that was about to expire - should have got broken Cyberpunk instead - as I do not support the death of offline console gaming, and certainly not for a game like this at £70. Without access to proper first world broadband - that I thankfully have - I wouldn't have been able to use the game at all...it is a completely crooked selling method of a digital download when the product isn't really on the disc.

But if you are okay with all of that, then yeah, well worth a look IMHO.

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
Someone said they want to buy the game on PS4/5... wouldn't recommend it. Free week crashed on me within 30 minutes on PS5. Still an issue.

Every time that map comes up everyone picks the opposite one. lol Normally, you get three or four people voting, but when Miami rears its ugly head there are always at least 9 people voting for the other one.

Game is beginning to crash on me again (XSX). I am getting several controller disconnects now, and Calling Cards and Emblems don't work, too. It's annoying af.

Nadeshot appears to be somewhat irked with the SBMM. Plenty of swearing in the vid so be warned. Props to Murdashow for streaming this game for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

Arthimura

Finished the campaign yesterday, i thought it was pretty fun.

I didn't like the end that much but that's what i should expect from a Black Ops game, i think.

What level are your Battlepasses?

Finished the campaign yesterday, i thought it was pretty fun.

I didn't like the end that much but that's what i should expect from a Black Ops game, i think.

What level are your Battlepasses?

You got 3 endings ;) Even though I didnt know anything about them, I managed to get the best bad guy ending the first try. The pro US one is pretty lame in comparison. Its as if they wanted the Reds to be the actual ending and put all effort in it.

Arthimura

You got 3 endings ;) Even though I didnt know anything about them, I managed to get the best bad guy ending the first try. The pro US one is pretty lame in comparison. Its as if they wanted the Reds to be the actual ending and put all effort in it.
I agree, i made the pro US ending and it's like they design the game so players would Pursue the "true" ending pro URSS .

Last edited:

Gerdav

I agree, i made the pro US ending and it's like they design the game so players would Pursue the "true" ending pro URSS .

What do you expect, the media and entertainment industries as a whole are pandering to a small vocal minority or radicalised far left totalitarian cunts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Shmunter

Only just started playing. Is anybody else seeing short stutter upon respawning in multiplayer?

On ps5, 4k hdr, raytracing on, 60fps

Last edited:
I tapped out and sold the game. It could be a lot of fun but the SBMM ruined it for me. Maybe if they tone it down I'll get it again in future.

Shmunter Shmunter Have you tried turning raytracing off?

When it works, this is the most fun I've ever had playing a CoD. The only map I don't like is Miami and even that one is okay for Domination. The gunplay is smooth and I don't really mind the SBMM, or I haven't noticed being completely lopsided. There always seems to be one guy in the lobby that does a bit better than everyone else: sometimes he/she is on my team, sometimes the opponents, and sometimes it's me.

However, it still crashes, calling cards and emblems don't work for me, and I get frequent random controller disconnects on XSX (at the worst moments, too--some of my kill cams are hilarious as I'm shooting the floor, spinning in a circle).

The damn game is fucking Jekyll and Hyde.

Shmunter

Shmunter Shmunter Have you tried turning raytracing off?

When it works, this is the most fun I've ever had playing a CoD. The only map I don't like is Miami and even that one is okay for Domination. The gunplay is smooth and I don't really mind the SBMM, or I haven't noticed being completely lopsided. There always seems to be one guy in the lobby that does a bit better than everyone else: sometimes he/she is on my team, sometimes the opponents, and sometimes it's me.

However, it still crashes, calling cards and emblems don't work for me, and I get frequent random controller disconnects on XSX (at the worst moments, too--some of my kill cams are hilarious as I'm shooting the floor, spinning in a circle).

The damn game is fucking Jekyll and Hyde.
Are you saying the raytracing causes the respawn stutter?

I tried the game during free trial but i had constant fps drops and stutter it was not playable! Does anyone else have this issue?
I play on One X

Grinchy

Banned
Are you saying the raytracing causes the respawn stutter?
I haven't played for the last week so I don't know if some new update has caused an issue, but the raytracing in general was broken about a week or so into the game launch. It worked pretty well at launch, an update made the game unplayable with it shortly after, and then another update sort of fixed it but still left the framerate dropping like crazy on multiple maps that didn't drop frames before.

Basically, you just turn it off for multiplayer. It sucks, but it's the reality.

Shmunter

I haven't played for the last week so I don't know if some new update has caused an issue, but the raytracing in general was broken about a week or so into the game launch. It worked pretty well at launch, an update made the game unplayable with it shortly after, and then another update sort of fixed it but still left the framerate dropping like crazy on multiple maps that didn't drop frames before.

Basically, you just turn it off for multiplayer. It sucks, but it's the reality.
Played quite a bit now. Runs perfectly fine with RT now in multi apart from the respawn stutter for 2/3 sec. I’ll accept it and see what happens next patch.

The game is rigged from top to bottom. Fuck Activision. And fuck Blame Truth for bitching about other people supporting it while the asshole is still playing it.

Bolivar687

Banned
The game is rigged from top to bottom. Fuck Activision. And fuck Blame Truth for bitching about other people supporting it while the asshole is still playing it.

Driftor and Ace pointed this out in their SBMM videos, that the game begins opening the matchmaking to worse ping lobbies if you're on a higher skill account. It would be pretty hilarious if all the SBMM does is give you a worse connection to level the playing field lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Another interesting item they noted was that if you're reverse boosting, you're likely to get put in lobbies with other people who are also reverse boosting. Here, he said he noticed the enemy team start trying and that they caught up in the score once he started playing for real, so maybe that's what was going on here, despite him being on a fresh account.

One last irony is when he switches to his Black Ops 2 account to show what a fun game was like that didn't have SBMM. There, he went 28-2. One of his teammates had a 4KD and one person on the enemy team went 1.5. Everyone else in the lobby was negative, hovering at around .500. That shouldn't be happening, either. I get that SBMM is rougher for someone facing much harder competition than someone like me who's an average player going against other average players. But other than the ping situation, which I acknowledge is unacceptable, I don't think this system is the worst of all worlds.

I'm not a graphics whore, couldn't really tell the difference between 30/60FPS, no clue what the fuck framepacing is, but after playing this game on XSX and then going to my nephew's house for Xmas Eve and playing on his XOS, I'm a fucking convert. How in the fuck is this game playable on last-gen busted tech? Now I know why I am doing well; everyone else is tech-hamstrung.

RNG

Lots of folks running around sniping with dual pistols. I’m getting pre nerf 1887 vibes from MW2.

splattered

Man did the devs bork performance on the series x with a recent patch? I started to play a bunch of rebirth island for a week and it all ran great... just switched back over to normal MP today and the graphics are blurry and framerate is hitching really bad, i can barely play this... i am using the Aug and hitting people in the head like 4 times and they don't die??? Watching kill cams and people are auto targeting heads and all sorts of shit. One followed me with their gun as i ran through multiple rooms in a building like they had x-ray vision and sticky aim to my head.. this is pissing me off today. Have been in some matches with constant quick scoping too, people don't even have to aim just flick flick you're dead. Even when they're jumping around in the air and looking in nearly a different direction it just tracks right to you. Wtf happened to this game in the last couple weeks???

Patrick S.

Banned
Nadeshot appears to be somewhat irked with the SBMM. Plenty of swearing in the vid so be warned. Props to Murdashow for streaming this game for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

Hard to understand the ghetto accent of that guy in the video. What's he saying is basically "Super COD pro elite players get matched against other players of their same skill, so the game is not fun for them because now they don't get to constantly mow down and teabag level 1 players, but actually have a challenging game on their hands", right? Well, sounds kinda logical to me. If I'm a shrub I don't want to be matched against level 50000 players and get constantly teabagged and griefed by them.

INC

Cod devs make god guns to sell skins, or they're completely retarded

Or both

Supposed "top level" players complaining about not being able to steamroller lobbies becauseof SBMM, never made sense to me, what they worried they won't look as good anymore and can't make thumbnails saying "OMGWTFBBQ 46-1 l33t banger gameplay"

Last edited:
Top Bottom