• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War |OT| Deniable Operations

DonJorginho

Banned
How is the multiplayer scene looking? Was gonna pick this up but the 8 maps on launch turned me off, worth the plunge now or worth waiting a little longer?

Just upgraded to the ps5 version (since getting a ps5) and I was genuinely expecting to see a difference from the pro.. At least it maintains 60fps now.

Oh and now it has random micro stutters.

Arthimura

I played some hours of Cold War multiplayer last night, definitely had more fun than with Modern Warfare.

Got the Battle Pass too. I'm was using the AK47 but saw the headshot damage was nerfed in the last patch, so i'm experimenting with the SMGs.

Just upgraded to the ps5 version (since getting a ps5) and I was genuinely expecting to see a difference from the pro.. At least it maintains 60fps now.

Oh and now it has random micro stutters.

Did you download the right version of the game with the high texture pack? On PSN you got to make sure and hit the three dots to download the PS5 version (if you bought the cross bundle) and there should also be a download for the higher rez textures. There is a clear difference in image clarity between the two, and many folks are downloading the wrong version from PSN

I hope they don’t fix that PC error anytime soon if never, keep the master race to themselves and just leave it as the majority want, console cross play.

Would be nice if you could opt for Platform isolation, Console Crossplay, or All Crossplay.

So much stuff in the battle pass.. whew. 70 days I guess?

Zombie mode has a new "Jingle Hell" mode where you throw snowballs at zombies.. also.. in DIE MACHINE the zombies throw shit at you if you stay still too long. No more camping at the top of the crashed wing!

Last edited:

Arthimura

Did you download the right version of the game with the high texture pack? On PSN you got to make sure and hit the three dots to download the PS5 version (if you bought the cross bundle) and there should also be a download for the higher rez textures. There is a clear difference in image clarity between the two, and many folks are downloading the wrong version from PSN

I checked my trophies and they're for the PS5 version, so it's safe to assume i'm playing the correct version, right?

Bolivar687

Banned
They fixed PC with an update, Raid is awesome but right off the bat I hit a nade kill because I knew where they'd be coming from. I also see there are prestige challenges, the first one being ten vehicle kills with C4, which is one of the most fun things to do in Combined Arms. Good to know you also get a Battle Pass tier skip at level 50.

l28j0bkd3i561.png

Last edited:

wipeout364

How is the multiplayer scene looking? Was gonna pick this up but the 8 maps on launch turned me off, worth the plunge now or worth waiting a little longer?
There are enough maps and they just added three; Nuketown, Raid, and another one. I don’t personally see a lack of variety. Matchmaking is fast so populationseems good. SBMM is working well, games are very tight often coming down to the last minute without anybody dominating which makes the game way more enjoyable. Cold War has the best matchmaking I have ever seen really.

VN1X

Banned
There are enough maps and they just added three; Nuketown, Raid, and another one. I don’t personally see a lack of variety. Matchmaking is fast so populationseems good. SBMM is working well, games are very tight often coming down to the last minute without anybody dominating which makes the game way more enjoyable. Cold War has the best matchmaking I have ever seen really.
Okay I was with you until halfway through your post. I could still see where you were coming from with the "SBMM is working well, games are tight" but to say that CW has the "best matchmaking ever seen" is just a tad bit hyperbolic. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Okay I was with you until halfway through your post. I could still see where you were coming from with the "SBMM is working well, games are tight" but to say that CW has the "best matchmaking ever seen" is just a tad bit hyperbolic. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh, it works well alright. Which is why people are boycotting the season pass to try and get it taken out of the game. The SBMM is the worst it's ever been. Matchmaking can be incredibly slow as it tries to match you up accordingly. Most of the time it'll put you into a game in progress. A few games good, a few games getting stomped, a few easy games, get stomped again, and repeat infinity. Close games? LOL

VN1X

Banned
Yeah I haven't touched the game two weeks after launch (if that even) and I read on reddit that the PC version is even more fucked now due to this update. I was hoping this patch would mark the end of the beta period (because let's be honest, this game still is very much in "early access") but no such luck apparently.

I'll maybe put in a few hours over the weekend to check out the new maps with a friend but otherwise this year's multiplayer might end up as one of the least played ones for me.

I started a game earlier where the match began, but my screen was just black. Could hear everything but just a black screen. Quitting out fixed it.

I’ve got the right version because I can turn on ray tracing and asks me about 120hz mode. Didn’t see any high Rez pack though.

The Pines is a very cool looking map. Not too sure about how it plays, though. First game I went 24-12. No idea where I was going, yet I didn't get bodied. The manipulation algorithm in full effect. Grinchy Grinchy is right about it. Tempted to trade this.

Bolivar687

Banned
Yeah I haven't touched the game two weeks after launch (if that even) and I read on reddit that the PC version is even more fucked now due to this update. I was hoping this patch would mark the end of the beta period (because let's be honest, this game still is very much in "early access") but no such luck apparently.

I'll maybe put in a few hours over the weekend to check out the new maps with a friend but otherwise this year's multiplayer might end up as one of the least played ones for me.

There was a weird glitch on PC where games on the new maps would error but they fixed it pretty quickly after that.

Nymphae

Banned
Can someone explain how the battle passes work to me? I've never played a CoD that had these and I'm not sure how they work. So it says Battle Pass 1 expires in 70 days, what does that mean exactly? Do you only have 70 days to complete the 100 levels? I wouldn't mind buying it for the 2 new base weapons, you only get those through the pass right?

NewChoppa

Banned
Got my first hard crash playing this earlier. After turning the PS5 off, it wouldn’t turn back on using the controller, and the first time I pressed the power button it beeped without turning on.

Now I get a weird “Please Wait” screen anytime I’m booting it up, either from Rest Mode or it being completely switched off - even after rebuilding the database.

Think I might have to stop playing this until it’s...actually playable.

Riky

$MSFT
Can someone explain how the battle passes work to me? I've never played a CoD that had these and I'm not sure how they work. So it says Battle Pass 1 expires in 70 days, what does that mean exactly? Do you only have 70 days to complete the 100 levels? I wouldn't mind buying it for the 2 new base weapons, you only get those through the pass right?

Yes you have 70 days to get the 100 levels, although during the 70 days you will get numerous double XP events and tokens to help, or you can buy them. You can get at least the first SMG I think it's level 15 for free even if you don't buy the pass.

Jebron

Honestly, it's borderline incompetence that there's no FOV slider on next-gen consoles for Warzone. Going from 105FOV in Cold War to 80 in Warzone on Series X is absolutely infuriating. It's not like the community hasn't been asking for it, why is Activision resisting so hard on this? It's to the point where I'm just going to delete Warzone from my SX, I hate playing it at such a low FOV and it takes up an insane amount of disk space. Like, why the fuck do I need MW AND Cold War installed just to play Warzone and CW? FUCK.

Last edited:
Yea the AUG/M16 nerf didn't really do much to help, still amazingly good

Flak jacket will not protect anymore for direct hits from the M79 and such, but still wont kill with spash damage one shots.

Last edited:

Gerdav

Honestly, it's borderline incompetence that there's no FOV slider on next-gen consoles for Warzone. Going from 105FOV in Cold War to 80 in Warzone on Series X is absolutely infuriating. It's not like the community hasn't been asking for it, why is Activision resisting so hard on this? It's to the point where I'm just going to delete Warzone from my SX, I hate playing it at such a low FOV and it takes up an insane amount of disk space. Like, why the fuck do I need MW AND Cold War installed just to play Warzone and CW? FUCK.

You don’t need MW installed at all unless I misunderstood you, you have CW installed and then you can download Warzone by itself from the store.

Jebron

You don’t need MW installed at all unless I misunderstood you, you have CW installed and then you can download Warzone by itself from the store.

I only have Warzone and CW installed. My issue is more that I have 150GB worth of Warzone installed and 85GB of CW installed. The complete lack of effort on Activisions side to consolidate assets into a single launchable game (integrate Warzone into CW app) is irritating.

Gerdav

I only have Warzone and CW installed. My issue is more that I have 150GB worth of Warzone installed and 85GB of CW installed. The complete lack of effort on Activisions side to consolidate assets into a single launchable game (integrate Warzone into CW app) is irritating.

I don’t play Warzone so have not bothered downloading it on my Series X, and I never installed MW on my SX at all, but I am shocked that Warzone stand-alone is 150GB, that’s disgusting, that’s not far off what MW and Warzone as one were on the One X, I see exactly what you mean now.

The only thing I will suggest is you can clear out at the top of my head 60-65GBish by deleting the CW campaign once you are done with it, that’s what I have done.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes you have 70 days to get the 100 levels, although during the 70 days you will get numerous double XP events and tokens to help, or you can buy them. You can get at least the first SMG I think it's level 15 for free even if you don't buy the pass.

Ok thanks! So if you don't get to the end and lets say, unlock all of the weapon schematics or other bonuses, are they just gone forever for people who didn't get the battle pass?

wipeout364

Well I am only speaking from my experiences with previous COD games Rainbow six, Gears, and overwatch. Games seem very tight with rare episodes of getting stomped compared to the above games. Apex is pretty solid with SBMM as well. I haven’t played enough Halo or destiny to have an opinion on it so they may be better

Arthimura

I bought the ultimate edition, it comes with the battle pass for season one.

You get the first 20 levels immediately, so you have 70 days to get the other 80 levels.

You unlock cosmetics and new weapons as you level your battle pass.

Nymphae

Banned
I bought the ultimate edition, it comes with the battle pass for season one.

You get the first 20 levels immediately, so you have 70 days to get the other 80 levels.

You unlock cosmetics and new weapons as you level your battle pass.

Are the cosmetics and weapons available any other way if you happen to miss levels or didn't buy the pass?

Arthimura

Are the cosmetics and weapons available any other way if you happen to miss levels or didn't buy the pass?

I checked the official site and they say this:

"3. Can I buy individual items from a Battle Pass?
No. Items within the Battle Pass can only be obtained by unlocking Battle Pass Tiers. However, some Battle Pass items from previous seasons may become available within Bundles."

So i think you can have the items if they make it available, but it is not guaranted.

Source: https://support.activision.com/br/pt/black-ops-cold-war/articles/black-ops-cold-war-battle-pass

Nymphae

Banned
I checked the official site and they say this:

"3. Can I buy individual items from a Battle Pass?
No. Items within the Battle Pass can only be obtained by unlocking Battle Pass Tiers. However, some Battle Pass items from previous seasons may become available within Bundles."

So i think you can have the items if they make it available, but it is not guaranted.

Source: https://support.activision.com/br/pt/black-ops-cold-war/articles/black-ops-cold-war-battle-pass

Thank you!

Bolivar687

Banned

When I played MW recently it looks like they give you a way to get the older season weapons through challenges, I doubt they'll lock them away this time.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Any zombie players here haven’t played since infinite warfare and looking to get back into it

So, the latest update fixed the issues and I can actually play the damn game again.

However, I can't set anything in Barracks on XSX. Is this a known issue?

Some items get added in later as challenge unlocks, but not all. Many items stay season exclusive to the battle passes.

Also you can essentially pay with COD coins to skip tiers, so if folks feel they can't complete the pass on time, they can basically purchase levels one at a time to move forward instead.

Just a 2 hr game session last night I got 5 levels into the pass, so if you play regularly and then toss in some double xp token usage or the various double xp days/weekends they toss into the game and you can get the passes done pretty easy.

Nymphae

Banned
Some items get added in later as challenge unlocks, but not all. Many items stay season exclusive to the battle passes.

Also you can essentially pay with COD coins to skip tiers, so if folks feel they can't complete the pass on time, they can basically purchase levels one at a time to move forward instead.

Just a 2 hr game session last night I got 5 levels into the pass, so if you play regularly and then toss in some double xp token usage or the various double xp days/weekends they toss into the game and you can get the passes done pretty easy.

Thank you! I went ahead and got it last night because I've been playing a ton of this and don't feel too bad about buying a little extra content right now.

That Mac 10 is a fucking beast, heavy vertical recoil and it chews through bullets, but I was melting fools with it last night, even getting decent mid-long range kills with it. It feels like you can run super fast with it as well.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
For some reason they kept giving me COD points in Black Ops 4. I never even touched Modern Warfare. So I had 1700 sitting there. With the 300 free ones they give you during the battle pass, it looks like I have 2 free seasons lined up.

For some reason they kept giving me COD points in Black Ops 4. I never even touched Modern Warfare. So I had 1700 sitting there. With the 300 free ones they give you during the battle pass, it looks like I have 2 free seasons lined up.

The season passes always gave 300 free coins for finishing them so if you were playing lot of BO4 you stacked up a bunch of coins over time you never cashed in.

And if you complete a pass you get another 1300, so you probably wont be needing to buy multiple passes.

Top Bottom