• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War |OT| Deniable Operations

Bolivar687

Banned
b5AI8ue.jpg

The Call of Duty renaissance continues. After last year’s reboot of Modern Warfare, this year's entry likewise returns to another golden age CoD classic - the world of clandestine missions and conspiracy theories of the original Black Ops. Familiar faces and armaments are at your disposal to save a world once more on the brink of nuclear conflict. The launch game will come packed with new modes and fan favorites across Campaign, 6v6 Multiplayer, Combined Arms, Fireteam, Warzone, Zombies, and a new installment of Dead Ops Arcade.

nGCn1PV.jpg

In the twilight of the cold war, a long-active Soviet agent plans to unleash a catastrophe of unimaginable magnitude. The United States once again looks to Mason, Woods, and Hudson to avert an all-out conflict with Russia. The secretive CIA handler Russell Adler and his team further flesh out the cast. The Department of Defense will spare no expense as they send your team around the world to unravel this conspiracy, from Amsterdam to Vietnam and even into the heart of the Soviet Union.

Raven Software makes their debut as campaign lead to pay homage to their first Call of Duty project as well as introduce several new elements to the franchise. For the first time in series history, players will create their own operator, down to their psychological profile which changes their gameplay attributes. Missions offer non-linear objectives, branching paths, dialogue choices, bonus objectives, and side missions to alter the storyline and the ultimate ending. Some missions have been compared to Hitman with multiple options to complete an objective in a living mission zone. Raven has described this as a passion project to recapture the conspiracy-laden "between the headlines" feel of a historically-grounded, character-driven Call of Duty campaign.

y48Ja9n.jpg

Treyarch returns with their signature fast-paced, high octane 6v6 skirmishes the studio is known for. Also in rotation is the 12v12 Combined Arms playlist with large maps, vehicles, and an array of objective-based game modes. The new Battle Royale-inspired Fireteam playlist rounds out the core of launch game modes, as 10 teams of 4 players each will battle to come out with the top score with entirely new gameplay loops for Call of Duty. Scorestreaks return, allowing you to retain your score accumulation after each death, but requiring multipliers in a single life to generate enough score for the most powerful payoffs. The Prestige system also returns after a hiatus and will be crucial to player progression. Loadout customization will maintain a traditional Call of Duty system, with Wildcards turning it on its head to offer deeper personalization.

BO-S01-ROADMAP.jpg

2v2 Gunfight, new Warzone content, and remakes of fan-favorite maps will arrive on December 10 with the onset of Season 1 online multiplayer. As with last year, new maps, weapons and other content will be free for everyone, and the game features a seasonal battle pass in lieu of loot boxes. Player progression will also be synced across Cold War, Warzone and Modern Warfare. Cold War operators and weapons will be seamlessly integrated into Warzone.

zudYS5w.jpg

Cold War will launch with a new episode in the Black Ops Zombies canonical universe, Die Maschine. Requiem, a CIA-backed task force lead by Grigori Weaver investigates the mysterious quantum activity at a hidden underground facility. The rival Soviet Omega Group will compete against the players to uncover the secrets behind this paranormal activity. Progression across multiplayer and Zombies is synchronized to unlock gear for use in both game modes. The new exfiltration system gives players the option to escape to a landing zone for rewards, but unleashes a desperate horde of Zombies to try and stop you. Many of the vintage Zombies perks and weapons will return, while new crafting and rarity systems add an additional layer of depth to the system. This will be the first time in Zombies history players can team up via cross-play. As with multiplayer maps, new Zombies episodes will be free, making it easier than ever to keep play groups together.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reviews:

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

As a matter of curiosity, is CoD fun to play with randoms? Thinking about buying it for TDM multiplayer, but I dont have the time to schedule matches with friends.

waylo

Banned
As a matter of curiosity, is CoD fun to play with randoms? Thinking about buying it for TDM multiplayer, but I dont have the time to schedule matches with friends.
One of the few games I don't mind playing with randoms. Just blast some music and frag.

3080 is arriving on Thursday. Ready to max this baby out.

Is it true that there will only be 8 different 6 vs 6 maps, and only two of those 8 aren't variations of maps that were already in the beta? That's an absurdly small amount of content for $70.

Bolivar687

Banned
Is it true that there will only be 8 different 6 vs 6 maps, and only two of those 8 aren't variations of maps that were already in the beta? That's an absurdly small amount of content for $70.

I'm not happy about it but it was similar for Modern Warfare. The variety really comes from the different game modes and I liked both Combined Arms and especially Fireteam enough that I can move over to them if I get fatigued. I'm honestly willing to accept that games just take a lot more to make today and I'm frankly just happy to have map design closer to the last gen CoDs that I'm willing to take it when the alternative is skipping out on the series again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Awesome OT. The preload is preloading Warzone stuff. Placing bets if the next patch makes it hit 100 GB.

That’s the only thing I have. I don’t exactly have friends who play and my schedule almost never matches up with someone else’s. I find it enjoyable. I usually have fun in multiplayer.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I was shocked the PC preload was <90GBs without the HD textures. Also, I don't see the HD textures really being worth it, I mean, it's COD. Engine suffices, it ain't GORGEOUS.

I've got a strong feeling the people that loved the old CODs are going to love this one.

Personally I've got Battle Royale fatigue and can't wait to get back into simple 6v6 3 lane frenzied maps again.
You're going to be very disappointed with this then. The maps are nothing like traditional Treyarch maps.

Kssio_Aug

Last edited:

Certinty

Great OT, had no idea how great sounding this was until now, that campaign sounds awesome! I just hope it delivers and is a bit longer than last year's Modern Warfare!

Bolivar687

Banned
Drift0r has a Zombies review and breakdown of changes for launch:

He says the Campaign is a top 3 CoD campaign and that if you make all of the evil decisions it gives you a very fucked up, depressing ending.

splattered

I want to get this just for the single player campaign alone... i already have BR through Modern Warfare which i just transferred to my internal and upgraded the HD texture pack. Technically don't really have enough room for both this and Modern Warfare. Kind of want to see reviews first...

Care to elaborate a bit on that? I am really curious what this means.
Treyarch are known for traditional 3 lane maps that have flow. The maps in Cold War (the ones in the beta, anyway) were like the maps from MW 2019. Safe spaces, rooms everywhere, windows everywhere, and not a lot of flow, basically.

Maximusz

Does this have couch co-op. If yes, which modes and how many players. Thanks in advance.

Edit: On consoles. Playstation specifically.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Compiling shaders :messenger_confused:

I had forgotten how great this game Alt+Tabs. I thought Crusader Kings III was incredible for this but with a higher fidelity game like Cold War it's pretty impressive..

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just played a round of team death match and I'm really enjoying it. It's cool how you can uninstall the modes you don't care about. Looking forward to sinking lots of time into this tomorrow on my day off and over the holidays.

waylo

Banned
Fully maxed out at 1440p with a 3080, ray tracing and all, and I get around 100FPS. One map in particular brings my game to a crawl though. The one that is in a hanger with a tank in the middle I was getting like 50-70FPS on for some reason. Every other map has been perfectly fine.

TheShocker

Is the next gen versions available? It’s not showing as a series X game for me. And I purchased the next gen version.

*Nevermind - the base version was installed on my external HDD. It wasn’t detecting the “smart delivery” and I had to manually download it from the store. MS needs to get this figured out. Has happened with all my compatible series X games.

Last edited:
So this is crap on Ps4 Pro? Guess I'm skipping this CoD for the first time ever. Probably wont be able to get a PS5 until Summer at this point and don't want to play a garbage version.

Oh boi... the campaign's story literally shits on MW2019's gritty and dark realism bullshit. This is waaay more fun, varied, and action packed with godtier music than what the Infinity Ward team put together. No pandering, and ... what do you know you even have choices within the game that affect things.

Bolivar687

Banned
LOL @ Crossroads Strike. They turned a 24 player Combined Arms map into the smallest map in Core. Still plays fairly well.

Grinded to level 10 playing Free for All, the mode is great on these maps. Hardcore is great, too, but it needs spawn delays.

The crossbow killstreak is awesome, it's basically there to help you grind challenges.

I think I'll be fine with these maps for the first month.

LOL @ Crossroads Strike. They turned a 24 player Combined Arms map into the smallest map in Core. Still plays fairly well.

Grinded to level 10 playing Free for All, the mode is great on these maps. Hardcore is great, too, but it needs spawn delays.

The crossbow killstreak is awesome, it's basically there to help you grind challenges.

I think I'll be fine with these maps for the first month.
You persuaded me to buy it. Downloading now.

//DEVIL//

From the beta the graphics looked worse than modern warfare . The sound and the animation of the guns not as good as MW either.

ill wait for the reviews if it’s not fixed I am not buying.
Also, I can’t help it but I feel like black ops usually takes way more bullets to kill someone and I kinda don’t like it . Or the bullets travel slower .

BigLee74

Bought it, because I always end up doing so (blow softened by my boy paying half as he's really into the zombies game mode whereas I can't stick it).

Amount of MP maps at launch is very disappointing, but at least new ones will be coming. That was a crazy amount we ended up with on MW!

Im sure I'll enjoy the campaign as always (well, BO3 maybe not so much).

Reactions: MrS

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
5 hour campaign? I guess that would be ok if it's really high quality and replayable...

Top Bottom