• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War accused of becoming a "Play on PlayStation to win game" after latest PS exclusives revealed = Eurogamer

Bolivar687

Banned
It's not play on PS to win. CoD always gives you the best equipment that is useful in the broadest range of situations out the gate, whereas you only unlock more specialization as you progress through the unlock tree.

bighugeguns

If just the multi player looked decent instead of a downgrade from last year's cod.
I won't argue, I bought it because it's tradition with me by now, but you're right, MW has some of the best animation and audio work I've ever experienced in an FPS, dunno what they put in IWs drinking water, but that game stands out above the others in a big way.

I think 2021 is going to be split 50/50 between the two, might even favor MW more, the game is supremely solid.

Grinchy

Banned
Ever heard of "Christmas noobs?" It's the kids who get the game for Christmas, more than a month after everyone else got it at launch. They have to start from scratch against the maxed out nerds.

Imagine creating the idea of some "Day 1 to win" controversy. It all means nothing. Not everyone gets the game on day 1 and starts grinding online right away. Also, people prestige, purposely removing all of their attachments just to do the grind again. There's not some massive disadvantage just because you can't put rapid fire on before the spamfest that is this dumb game.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
if Sony has to buy things rather it be boost and shit then characters. When dealing with an inferior performing game any way to keep people tied to that eco system is worth it I guess.

bighugeguns

As long as they keep up the customer friendly practice of free maps, Crossplay and post-sale content then I'm sure the fans will put up with all kinds of shenanigans. Seriously they used to nickel-and-dime you for EVERY FKN THING, it was awfully cynical and getting depressing.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People get mad that Sony owns Spider-Man and that they can’t play as their favorite super hero on a non-Sony platform. Then they complain that a well known console gets exclusive deals to attract players to their platform. Sounds like a well established company is staying at the top. I like Sony, so it’s not my concern or my problem. I don’t see the problem with it. Should Sony just get a vanilla version with no extra perks?

Codes 208

Couldn't care less about the politics, I pre-ordered for PC, going to install Multiplayer Only and shoot dudes.
I mean, it’s pretty bullshit that this directly tied into multiplayer as PS players will be getting a bunch of exclusive exp bonuses as well.

basically as I said in that launch trailer thread: the PS4/5 are quickly becoming the P2W versions of the game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox cod players will be ok lol you've been established since Xbox Live COD2, yes SONY needs this, what matters most is the controller, input lag etc. this is a business move.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Dumbest post on GAF award goes to none other than you.
v1zBWHh.png

fermcr

Send a big Fu** You to Activision and don't purchase the game.
There are so many games out there, you don't need COD.

Can’t help but shill for Xbox. Are they equally upset about the fallout purchase?. Xbox paid for games that were coming to Xbox anyway not be on other platforms. They won’t ever pay that 7 billion off in series x life time.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
There are going to be people who buy the game weeks and months after launch who start completely fresh with no attachments or loadout slots and at level 1. The "disadvantage" means nothing. It's another nontroversy.
I could always use more custom class slots but none of this is a huge deal to me. The exclusive Zombies mode is the bigger deal.

Overall though the COD deal isn’t so bad anymore. We’re a long ways past the console exclusive maps that PS4 had a few years back or the one year Destiny content deals. One year timed deals are still a little frustrating.

Still, I think these deals are all totally fair game-it’s up to Microsoft to secure their own deals. It’s competition and these deals move the needle. Personally I prefer total or timed full game exclusivity like Final Fantasy or Rise of Tomb Raider as opposed to in game content. Don’t chop the game up.

Old Retro

Infinity Ward said MW 2019 would not be pay to play like other recent titles. Then they came out with "battle pass" that unlocks modded weapons. No surprise Activision would shamelessly do something like again.

if Sony has to buy things rather it be boost and shit then characters. When dealing with an inferior performing game any way to keep people tied to that eco system is worth it I guess.

Care to show me the comparison between the two ? I've not seen it .

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Care to show me the comparison between the two ? I've not seen it .

with watch dogs and Valhalla showing the power gap, not hard to imagine it will hold true with other 3rd party titles. NDA are in place so keep your hope up if you like, all you can go off on are the hints being dropped.

with watch dogs and Valhalla showing the power gap, not hard to imagine it will hold true with other 3rd party titles. NDA are in place so keep your hope up if you like, all you can go off on are the hints being dropped.

Well would it not be better to wait for comparisons then because you don't really know which ones best at this time do you ? It's better to bring Bring Facts not feelings to the discussion.

Camreezie

That all sounds like stuff that doesnt make that big of a difference when you play it for as long as people play COD each year

Warablo

That is kinda bullshit given how grindy weapon XP/attachments can be now. Plus 2 extra custom classes is really nice.

Matt_Fox

In the Miles Morales thread some people seem £ fine with it only being an 8 hour game.

The value proposition of COD, with single player campaign, zombies, multi-player and warzone is just off the charts.

The £ to hours played ratio makes a mockery of Morales. I think anyone complaining about 2 less loadout slots should think about that.

Aidah

Cross-play is not optional?

Anyway, yeah I'm totally against any deal where the main intention is to subtract from the competition, rather than to add to your offering. Such as timed exclusive games, timed exclusive in-game content, the Microsoft/Bethesda deal...etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom