• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calisto Protocol's Season Pass Detailed: New Death Animations, Story DLC, New Areas and Game Mode(s)

damidu

Over an animation? Who cares its an animation, which is optional. If we stop buying these types of games, we will be left with floresant gen z zoomer shit f2p fortnite clones until we are forgotten dinosaurs. Don't let that happen.
The companies want to kill single player games. They want always online, multiplayer gaas trash they can churn out cosmetics for.
and if you support shit like this, you encourage the next stupid dlc.
like animation dlc, really?!

hinch7

Wasn't even aware they had a season pass. Preordered the standard version and kinda regret. Oh well, going to play and resell.

Maybe get the complete package in a couple years, if the game is worth it.. for the story DLC.

Last edited:
It is difficult to tell whether this decision was from developers or the publisher, Krafton, itself.

Day one for me but undecided which version to get.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Not supporting scummy practices like this. Death animations and game modes in a fucking season pass? It's like when Capcom sold the RE2 original soundtrack for the remake when it should be included in the game. Meanwhile you have games like GoW Ragnarok and Elden Ring that's a complete package from the get go with no mtx or content ripped from the game. I'll buy Callisto when there is a complete edition available or if it's on heavy discount. What a disappointment.

Not gonna lie, I also thought it was weird at first, but if they're brand new areas in these Season Pass modes (which sound like two variants of Horde Mode) then it would make sense that there are new animations because there would be new environmental assets. It's not like these animations are deliberately withheld from the main game.... at least, I hope not.

Edit: I was right

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I also thought it was weird at first, but if they're brand new areas in these Season Pass modes (which sound like two variants of Horde Mode) then it would make sense that there are new animations because there would be new environmental assets. It's not like these animations are deliberately withheld from the main game.... at least, I hope not.

Pretty much my thoughts too. I think those new death animations are exclusive to those modes. The so-called "undiscovered" areas are likely exclusive to Riot mode.

On the other side, I do worry if those new death animations are exclusive to outfits which could be utilized in main game.

Gudji

Fix U Get It Together GIF by UFC

Hugare

So you are okay with animations and game modes being locked behind F2P style season passes?

The Witcher and CB had no such thing.
Animations? Yeah. That's a new low.

Game Modes are also sketchy, but again, its not the first one to do it neither the last.

TLOU had Grounded mode originally sold as a DLC on the PS3

But what I'm saying is that season pass in singleplayer games is not always terrible, hence my examples

GHG

Gold Member
Yes, there’s also Hard mode behind the paywall. Hey, I have it pre-ordered on PSN since day one. It’s still a shit decision.

The extra difficulty mode being locked behind a paywall is the primary issue here IMO. I'm pretty sure someone will just mod it in on PC anyway and they will end up looking foolish.

As for the animations, as scummy as it is I can live without them.

When they said AAAA little did we know it would be because they have found a way to surpass AAA studios when it comes to shitty DLC/season pass practices.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Maybe the new death animations correspond to the new area in the DLC? It makes sense that if they're introducing new enemies in a new area that there would be new deaths.

However, if it's just new animations for the overall game that were ripped out and locked behind a wall.... yeah, that's shitty.

splattered

This is a whole new level of console war tinfoil. Don't be this guy.
So maybe this is considered console warring here but... is it just coincidence they worked with Sony on this game and then went so hard on this season pass stuff? Now that Sony is pivoting to focus largely on their own f2p/microtransaction/service games i hope this isn't a hint of things to come from Sony. "Yeah guys we will let you use our big state of the art mo-cap studios but we want you to go big with the season pass/dlc stuff and then give us a bigger cut" ... nah probably not.

mansoor1980

So maybe this is considered console warring here but... is it just coincidence they worked with Sony on this game and then went so hard on this season pass stuff? Now that Sony is pivoting to focus largely on their own f2p/microtransaction/service games i hope this isn't a hint of things to come from Sony. "Yeah guys we will let you use our big state of the art mo-cap studios but we want you to go big with the season pass/dlc stuff and then give us a bigger cut" ... nah probably not.
images

jimbo at it again

Last edited:

SSfox

Stop smoking.

Salz01

I feel like it poorly worded, Im sure there is new death animations tied to the dlc single player content areas, that’s not found in the main core game.

Why is everyone focusing on the additional death animations? Looks like the DLC is beefier than just that?
Outrage mob for clicks. People want attention and need to be outraged over some dumb shit.
The fact is no one even knows what this is.
We have had dumb dlc for almost 2 decades now.
You can blame Bethesda for starting that with horse armor.
Thing is its long done. Anything optional as long as not cut from the game is no big deal.

Don't understand why people shit on a new ip, for a game that looks like it will be amazing. We don't get enough single player games, let alone new ips. I could care less about some extra optional animation.
Crazy seeing people cancel order over this.

Ristifer

Don't care. Still want the game. Not gonna comb the internet for reasons to not play games, or I'd never play anything.

That all being said, I still want all difficulty options in the base game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
what and idiotic take... yeah lets hope one of the few teams making AAA Sci-fi horror bombs, sometimes the reactionary posts here are vomit inducing.

Like one poster said above, a lot of beloved games have done this, let's see if the content is good or you know... don't buy it.
There's always Dead Space remake. I have my doubts this game will be good, crappy season pass or not.

CHEROKEEE

I have no words lol who thought this was good idea?

I think its generally a dumb idea to announce detailed DLC Plans for SP Games ahead of their releasedate... Why not give the actual MAIN game its proper timeframe to shine and create some excitement before already announcing this Season Pass Shit ahead of time ?? I just dont get it - its like a Band announcing the songs they will play as an encore before the concert even startet... :messenger_confused:

Tom Cruise What GIF

K' Dash

There's always Dead Space remake. I have my doubts this game will be good, crappy season pass or not.

how about, you know, we wait until the game is out and find out?

also, Dead Space is an AMAZING game, made by the same dude. I played DS once a year since it came out in 2008, not interested in the same game with a new coat of paint, I'll buy it for $10 next year.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

So is dlc now counted as a season pass? Retarded thread devs confirmed it was dlc and new death animations comes with new story dlc

Interfectum

slap gtfo GIF

Because it's absurd.

So if any publisher announces additional post release, paid game content, it's absurd? I promise I am not trying to shill......just trying to understand the mentality.
How much content should be in the original package for it to be considered worth it alone?

Kacho

Gold Member
So if any publisher announces additional post release, paid game content, it's absurd? I promise I am not trying to shill......just trying to understand the mentality.
How much content should be in the original package for it to be considered worth it alone?
Locking additional animations and a difficulty level behind paid DLC is just absurd. If you don't understand that I can't help you.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is it an actual difficulty level part of the pass or a different mode that is?

The way it reads, it seems like an entirely different mode that is more challenging and has permadeath as part of the mode. Either way, I'll be playing it on Normal so it doesn't affect me. I do think it's a dumb decision though.

Last edited:

mejin

Already pre-ordered Digital Deluxe on PSN....but jesus I'd be really pissed if It was day one edition.

Not very gallant...

Still, I'm really looking forward to the game. I'm just glad that single player games are on the rise again, especially sci-fi horror games.
And it looks like the game will have more than enough death animations even without the season pass. The developers seem to be downright obsessed with it :lollipop_smirking:

McGILLAZ

What a joke - I cannot give money to a company that does this, for fear it will become the norm. This fuckin game is 69.99!

Locking additional animations and a difficulty level behind paid DLC is just absurd. If you don't understand that I can't help you.

I understand your issue with the difficulty level behind DLC. Its just the complaints about the other stuff. Then again, maybe I don't have to understand.
Each individual will determine the worth of the game for themselves.

Top Bottom