• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BusinessInsider.com: Microsoft's Xbox is beating the PlayStation 5 this holiday season for 3 key reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greggy

Beat like a drum if old:

The $300 Xbox Series S console just outsold Sony's wildly popular PlayStation 5 during the critical holiday sales month of November.

There's a good reason for that: You still can't find a PlayStation 5 to buy at retail.

Demand for Sony's PS5 certainly hasn't slowed down, but it remains in low enough supply that it's nearly impossible to buy more than a full year after it first launched.

"It's all about stock," NPD Group video game analyst Mat Piscatella said. "The console with the most units in market will lead the charts."
Such is the case for the Xbox Series S, which is widely available in stores even as of this publishing. Everywhere from Amazon to Best Buy has the console in stock. While the more powerful, more expensive Xbox Series X model remains nearly as elusive as the PS5, the Series S is easy to find and purchase.

That's critical to Microsoft's surprise success in November, the most important month of sales for the video game industry each year as Americans buy up game consoles and games to give as gifts. Going all the way back to the original Nintendo Entertainment System, the holiday season is the most critical time of year for video game companies.

Similar to Sony's PlayStation 5, which comes in standard and digital versions, the Xbox Series X comes with a disc drive whereas the Series S is an "all digital" console, meaning that it doesn't have a Blu-ray disc drive to play games. The only way to buy games is digitally, through the Xbox digital storefront, and they run off the console's hard drive.
Paired with Microsoft's wildly popular Game Pass subscription service, the Series S is one of the least expensive options for people who want access to some of the most popular modern games.

Notably, Microsoft has some of this holiday's biggest games debuting on Game Pass: Both the long-awaited "Halo Infinite" and the highly-praised "Forza Horizon 5" are included as part of the game library on the popular subscription service.

Between the console being in stock, its comparatively low price, and the recent release of some long-awaited games, it's clear why the Xbox Series S is beating out the PlayStation 5.

dotnotbot

There's a good reason for that: You still can't find a PlayStation 5 to buy at retail.

You also can't find Series X. Series S costs about half of PS5's price. Imagine making a clickbait article about 2x more expensive, unavailable console selling worse and giving credits to gamepass or Halo. Pathetic.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This reads more like a propaganda than anything else lol

Obvious paid article.

I mean... what? Was it not obvious that the console that is available sells alot more than the one that's out of stock?

Jesus people need to take a step back, this is business insider, it's not a gaming enthusiast site. It focuses on informing people who are watching a companies preformance from a financial perspective. Most of the info will be taken from official PR releases, especially the console description, the numbers will be from retail groups.

Conspiracy theroys in full swing this Holiday season.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I mean... what? Was it not obvious that the console that is available sells alot more than the one that's out of stock?

Jesus people need to take a step back, this is business insider, it's not a gaming enthusiast site. It focuses on informing people who are watching a companies preformance from a financial perspective.

Conspiracy theroys in full swing this Holiday season.
The X and the PS5 are both out of stock, and refilling as quickly as they can.

They facts that the series S is filling stock more frequently is not a reason to dismiss it.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Data doesn't lie, Xbox won November vs PS5. We'll see what happens in December.
With the amount of restocks of the series x in the UK this December, I would be surprised if it wasn't series X.

(I know gaf members love the UK charts for some reason)

That being said the ps5 stock lasted a couple hours the last two drops, so maybe they were both a really large amount of stock in the UK.

Last edited:
With the amount of restocks of the series x in the UK this December, I would be surprised if it wasn't series X.

(I know gaf members love the UK charts for some reason)

That being said the ps5 stock lasted a couple hours the last two drops, so maybe they were both a really large amount of stock in the UK.
Yeah both are getting huge stock drops. It's gonna be a tight race.

Kagey K

Banned
When stock of other consoles are available the sales of those units sell out, the Unit S remains in stock without selling out... I think its pretty clear which model's the consumer actually want.
That’s not actually how it works.

If they are producing 100 S to 1 X the X will seem more in demand because there is factually less of them.

The X will be perpetually sold out, even if only 1 person wanted it.

Nobody is holding a gun or forcing people to buy the undesirable console. Yet they seem to be moving.

reksveks

Anyone know how quickly the amazon charts update and the time period it is looking at?

Can't spot any major movement on the ps5 disc edition.

One thing to also remember is xbox series x included stock that would be delivered by the 30th, I think the ps5 was stock in warehouses.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That’s not actually how it works.

If they are producing 100 S to 1 X the X will seem more in demand because there is factually less of them.

The X will be perpetually sold out, even if only 1 person wanted it.

Nobody is holding a gun or forcing people to buy the undesirable console. Yet they seem to be moving.

All of that is based on an assumption that you have created

While the article is a year old, do you know how many press releases Microsoft have put out to backtrack and confirm your assumption? Zero.

Put together that Both Series X & both editions of PS5 combined are unlikely to have less units produced than series S and the statement still stands.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Anyone know how quickly the amazon charts update and the time period it is looking at?

Can't spot any major movement on the ps5 disc edition.

One thing to also remember is xbox series x included stock that would be delivered by the 30th, I think the ps5 was stock in warehouses.
Yeah my last 2 series X consoles I ordered were preorders.

One I ordered in November arrived December 8th with halo for my brother , and the other console I ordered on the 7th, arrived on the 18th, also with halo, but this one is for my dad.

I would assume retailers are taking preorders for ps5 stock too right?

Kagey K

Banned
All of that is based on an assumption that you have created

While the article is a year old, do you know how many press releases Microsoft have put out to backtrack and confirm your assumption? Zero.

Put together that Both Series X & both editions of PS5 combined are unlikely to have less units produced than series S and the statement still stands.
Yet every report we have says the series S is over 60% of MS sales this gen. Which would seem mathemetiacally impossible, by your year old reports.

Ozriel

M$FT
If Series S is the majority console, its not good for both Series X and PS5 as next gen games going to be downgraded for Series S.

You think Series S will sell more than Series X and PS5 combined?

This reads more like a propaganda than anything else lol

No positive articles about xbox are allowed, eh?

When stock of other consoles are available the sales of those units sell out, the Unit S remains in stock without selling out... I think its pretty clear which model's the consumer actually want.

Consumers seem to prefer the Series X and PS5. Doesn’t translate to ‘consumers don’t want the Series S’.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Consumers seem to prefer the Series X and PS5. Doesn’t translate to ‘consumers don’t want the Series S’.

There will always be a consumer base for them, but don't forget this is the holiday season, parents are at the point now where they are having to get the "next best thing" when their kids ask for a PS5 of Series X and they are unable to be attained.

You get what you can get.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Every report you say? Going to need a source on that one. Because I honestly haven't seen them.
I’m going to write you off as misinformed and not worth talking about sales numbers than.

Anyone that had followed them knows, and I’m not interested in warring with the uniformed.

Don’t pretend to know shit, if you don’t.

Its not like this info is hard to find.

Last edited:

Helghan

In a way Microsoft is pretty lucky that there are supply constraints. It gives them the time to persuade more people during the start of this gen by winning back their trust with quality services and games. Without these supply issues, PS5 would have a bigger head start then they already had.

Markio128

The news just in: LEAD MORE POPULAR THAN PIXIE DUST!

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Kagey K

Banned
There will always be a consumer base for them, but don't forget this is the holiday season, parents are at the point now where they are having to get the "next best thing" when their kids ask for a PS5 of Series X and they are unable to be attained.

Jesus I hope you don’t have kids if that’s how you think.

I don’t buy “the next best thing” because they asked for something.

How fucked up do you have to be to think they are the same.

I don’t want a Tickle me Elmo. i want a Fondle me Elmer.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I’m going to write you off as misinformed and not worth talking about sales numbers than.

Anyone that had followed them knows, and I’m not interested in warring with the uniformed.

Don’t pretend to know shit, if you don’t.

Makes a request asking for source on 60% Series S sales vs 40% Series X lifetime sales....

Gets written off as misinformed asking for something that I have not seen by every report...

Look how do you think someone reading this from the outside is going to view this? I have never heard of this claim nor have I seen a report talking about this. When most people make an assersation its either common knowledge (this is not) or its backed up with figures. I backed up my assertion with a statement from Microsoft and the fact no further statements on the production scale of Series S vs Series X has been made since.

I am unable to find any article or industry report backing up your claim so I am asking for for it here and now.

I am not going to go into some wild tantrum if I am wrong, I will simply realign my viewpoint based on the provided evidence... which so far is you saying "I have seen many reports" followed by "shut up your just ignorant"

Yeah great.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

What a stupid article.

”Console available in shops sells more than console completely unavailable to buy.”

Microsoft are doing extremely well to turn their ship around after the disaster of last gen, but if anybody thinks they’d be outselling the Ps5, if the Ps5 was freely available everywhere, is living in a dream world.

Until all consoles are freely available, any articles or conversations like this are fucking pointless.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Problem is that kids are very picky. If they want PS5, majority of them will reject Series S.

Jesus I hope you don’t have kids if that’s how you think.

I don’t buy “the next best thing” because they asked for something.

Unfortunately most parents do that, whether you like it or not.

Kagey K

Banned
No I'm going to counter this, please provide something to back up your assertion, the ball is in your court now. Don't force other people to look for something that you can quite frankly have just made up.

This is months old and ignores BF sales in every country.
NPD data shows the same.

Mathematically it defies your perception, and sales charts listed since.

now hold the L.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The console has been selling all year. Much slower than the flagship consoles, but selling nonetheless and getting replenished on the shelves.
You’ll find Series S consoles readily available, but those aren’t the same consoles that were on the shelves 2 months ago.

Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart et al didn’t have the console in stock online for months before the holidays.

PS: there are many price conscious consumers who find the idea of a $299 console quite palatable. Also, PlayStation 5 owners who are looking for a secondary console. ‘Parents’ and ‘Grandmas’ aren’t the only people console hunting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If Series S is the majority console, its not good for both Series X and PS5 as next gen games going to be downgraded for Series S.

First of all, it's not. The PS5 is wildly more popular globally than the S (and X). Secondly, it doesn't matter how well the S sells, games have to be adapted for it either way. A developer can't choose to only make an X version. The only option in that case is to make the game PS5 (and PC) only, skipping Xbox completely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom