• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Sony is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in PlayStation games

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
If this industry goes the way it looks like going then my backlog will serve me well.

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I can see Jim Ryan getting on board with.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People really need to relax... this is for free to play games.. and they won't necessarily force them on you, in fact, they probably won't.

Fuz

Banned
Just hope it doesn't start actually influencing game design.
Sure buddy
07wnr.gif

IntentionalPun

That's how it always starts.

Mobile and F2P games have always been the leaders when it comes to these kinds of practices.
And any F2P game that isn't just total garbage has them as an optional way to earn credits/boosters/whatever.

Console gamers aren't going to sit and play games littered w/ forced ads.

I have no problem with this as long as it in the background on billboard or on a sign & it don't pop up on screen every minute or so like a youtube video ad it fine lol

Topher

Gold Member
This is referring to games in general, not just F2P.

"The idea is to encourage developers to keep building free-to-play games, which have soared in the pandemic, by giving them a way to monetize them, they said."

Can't read the entire article, but that is in the OP.

SLB1904

Banned
"The idea is to encourage developers to keep building free-to-play games, which have soared in the pandemic, by giving them a way to monetize them, they said."

Can't read the entire article, but that is in the OP.
Millions of dollars isn't enough. Let's squeeze even more.
The fact there people defending these opportunists blows my mind.

Also free to play games can go fuck themselves

IntentionalPun

"Click this button to earn extra coins, if you don't click it, you'll never see an ad" is certainly defensible.

That's what most of these games w/ ads do, that aren't just total garbage shovelware based on fake facebook ads.

So if you are swinging around in Spider-Man 2 and have to have a bunch of billboards and building ads anyway .. why not use real ads. 🤷‍♂️

Because its incredibly unrealistic and immersion breaking to have a bunch of fake ads alongside a bunch of Coca Cola ads.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

For video game monetization it's worse than usual business practices because it's a digital world. All it takes is 5% of user base of a game being whales (95% of gamers dont spend a dime on anything) and it'll be worth adding in monetization whether it's cosmetics, pay to win, loot crates, splash screens when you log in saying "Now available to buy in the store......trinkets XYZ!"

In normal stuff you buy, the maker has to cater to what the 95% of users want because that 5% crowd can only spend so much buying chips and shampoo.

Although as crazy as it seems, if game makers are designing their game for mtx spenders it makes sense because they are the paying customer. Why should a game maker make F2P games designed for gamers who never spend money?

GAF: Ads were never that bad. Without ads what would I know to buy?
Randy Savage Deal With It GIF

in all seriousness idgaf if they have a monster billboard in the back...just offset the cost of Microtransactions with it or you're double dipping on your consumer which is a nono.

I would agree if it stayed this way, but you know how these corps are. They start with something small, and as soon as it is accepted, they start building on it.

We are slowly moving away from loading screens, but maybe they will have a comeback with a stupid excuse, only to show you an ad. Or how about a short ad while you are waiting for your next online match?
The dynamic nature of games makes placing ads randomly in games tough outside of billboards and product placement. Load times are shorter than ever so unless there is going to be some sort of splash screen or water mark ad I'd be curious how it would work in normal retail products and not F2P games like what was planned on Xbox. I'll believe it is a problem when I see it. Talk of Game pass and all games getting intrusive ads has no bearing on reality at the moment.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The dynamic nature of games makes placing ads randomly in games tough outside of billboards and product placement. Load times are shorter than ever so unless there is going to be some sort of splash screen or water mark ad I'd be curious how it would work in normal retail products and not F2P games like what was planned on Xbox. I'll believe it is a problem when I see it. Talk of Game pass and all games getting intrusive ads has no bearing on reality at the moment.
I hear ya.

I'm thinking it'll be menu screen kinds of areas they'll massage in ads and logos. Like dynamic rotating ads looking at FIFA stats screens or Pipboy screens with a rusty Black & Decker logo.

But as you said it might be as blatant as targeted splash screens. You might be forced to watch them as they'll jam it in like a quick ad watching sports. Only difference is I'd see a Harvey's ad and someone else will see a Hardee's ad.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Once upon a time people would have said console gamers won't pay for online but here we are. Don't underestimate what people will tolerate.
Digital too. Yet 70% of console game sales are downloaded.

Goes to show the old marketing tactic selling stuff of Stack Em High, Let Em Fly even goes for online/digital.

In other words, jam enough crap down people's throats and the customers will eventually get teased to go with the flow and buy it. Not everything needs to be validated with focus groups to make a sale.

Last edited:
And any F2P game that isn't just total garbage has them as an optional way to earn credits/boosters/whatever.

Console gamers aren't going to sit and play games littered w/ forced ads.

I love how optimistic you are about the majority of console gamers.

Mainly because history shows the exact opposite; they'll eat that crap up in no time.

GAF: Ads were never that bad. Without ads what would I know to buy?
Randy Savage Deal With It GIF

in all seriousness idgaf if they have a monster billboard in the back...just offset the cost of Microtransactions with it or you're double dipping on your consumer which is a nono.

Why would these companies want to reduce their profit margins by making things more convenient for MTX buyers when they can keep that the same cost AND get more money on top with forced in-game ads?

Now add this on top of potential growth of NFTs (don't really buy the wishful talks of it "empowering content creators"; we know the endgame goal is to shut them out and maximize profit for publishers otherwise what's stopping most of them from paying content creators of games today through existing digital markets? Instead of DMCA'ing and threatening to sue them all the time?), lootboxes, more MTXs, more content being gated behind DLC (when it can be in the base game), lost of customer ownership rights with moving to digital (and even more with moving to subscription services), on top of average price of games going up?

Those horse armor days are looking really nostalgic by comparison.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I love how optimistic you are about the majority of console gamers.

Mainly because history shows the exact opposite; they'll eat that crap up in no time.

People paying for online (the only example given that people seem to think relates) is a far different ask than people being forced to sit and watch ads. Such simple logic "well console gamers ate up this one thing therefor they will eat up literally everything bad"???

Actual good games aren't making a shit ton of money from ads, they make far more from MTX/season passes/etc.

Honestly don't think it's a particular optimistic viewpoint.. it's just a view based on how PC/mobile games that aren't total garbage work. Mobile has an issue w/ this but that's because of zero control over their stores and games that exist literally to shove ads in people's faces for a few minutes until they angrily delete the app lol.. they spend $1000 making a game and the rest of their budget on deceptive ads and there is nobody to stop them.

The actual popular F2P games on mobile/PC?

It's really not an issue.. and I don't see why this would suddenly change in the console space.

As it stands the console versions of good F2p games are just missing the "feature" to watch ads to earn extra credits.

Play Smite for instance on PC vs. Mobile. Same exact game, same pricing on everything.. but on PC you can earn credits while waiting for your matchmaking to finish, on console you can't.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
People really need to relax... this is for free to play games.. and they won't necessarily force them on you, in fact, they probably won't.
Christ. You just know they’ll push the ‘£4.99 a month to play the premium version with NO ADs!’ mobile shit too.

Hopefully the first MS/Sony game to try this, and one of them will inevitably try this, will be met with such a backlash (like the Xbox One DRM) that they’ll back off for another decade or so.

Batiman

Banned
all the outrage now and no one will give a shit when they come. Sure if I’m playing Elden ring and there’s a Coca Cola billboard then I’ll have a problem. If it’s a realistic setting like a COD and there not really intrusive then I don’t really care TBH.

yurinka

I may understand this for F2P games, or maybe to have a Crunchyroll like free version of PS+ Extra or Premium. Or even during the eSport Playstation Tournaments video streams.

Let's hope they don't include this on paid games or in the console dashboard or store. I'd hate to ads there specially if are intrussive or about products and services I am not interested at all.

As an example, I like how Capcom backpedaled with this in Street Fighter V: they ended limited to a few themed optional costumes linked to promotions with these brands (like getting codes for Redbull dlc costumes in Redbull cans, so if you don't buy them you don't get them), and in loading screens they kept ads but limited them to Street Fighter content or informative stuff like letting you know they released or discounted some stuff from the game, or that they had an important tournament of the game, or showing very cool Street Fighter illustrations that a clothing brand (Uniqlo) made for a collection of SF tshirts.

Since everything in the current ads was SF themed and was during loading screens without making them longer, it ended feeling ok.

all the outrage now and no one will give a shit when they come. Sure if I’m playing Elden ring and there’s a Coca Cola billboard then I’ll have a problem. If it’s a realistic setting like a COD and there not really intrusive then I don’t really care TBH.
Yes, this is very important. First if the content fits the game and doesn't feel out of place. And second the way the ad is placed: something intrussive like to stop the gameplay to play a full screen video ad is super intrussive, while having a billboard in a city, or a car from a brand who wants to be there in a game like Gran Turismo or GTA is ok too.

I remember now an old Sony patent from 10 years ago that was never used and let's hope isn't the type of ads they are considering. I consider it insulting, but I think that could be useful for certtain countries where they don't have money for new consoles or to buy games or pay PS+ Deluxe, but could get for free PS+ Deluxe if watching ads (like with Crunchyroll or Youtube) every half an hour or so in loading screens, certain menus or something like that (not in the middle of gameplay).

Last edited:
The only way I see this affecting sub services is if there is a new free ad supported tier where you get free online console gaming or free PS+ or Game pass but you have to watch ads. Otherwise it's the normal paid ad free price. I'd be OK with this.

spawn

I think this will only show up in your free-to-play games. Maybe sports games. The community should just give the middle finger to these companies who choose to put 30 second ads in games and let them bankrupt themselves

laynelane

I won't buy games hat uses this, that's all.

Same. It will just be one more thing to research before I buy a game. If it's there, no purchase from me. The idea of paying for ads (were this to happen and if the ads were in non-F2P games) is ludicrous.

Why would these companies want to reduce their profit margins by making things more convenient for MTX buyers when they can keep that the same cost AND get more money on top with forced in-game ads?

Now add this on top of potential growth of NFTs (don't really buy the wishful talks of it "empowering content creators"; we know the endgame goal is to shut them out and maximize profit for publishers otherwise what's stopping most of them from paying content creators of games today through existing digital markets? Instead of DMCA'ing and threatening to sue them all the time?), lootboxes, more MTXs, more content being gated behind DLC (when it can be in the base game), lost of customer ownership rights with moving to digital (and even more with moving to subscription services), on top of average price of games going up?

Those horse armor days are looking really nostalgic by comparison.
I know they aren't. Sad reality of capitalim...every penny for investor none for the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom